The MT-07 Forum

Anyone have handguards with Renthals?

AlbatrossCafe

It's getting to be that time of year again. This morning it was 45 degrees. I commute even when it is <30 degrees. I basically have an astronaut suit that keeps me warm at pretty much any temperature, but my hands are always dead and even in pain after 15-20 minutes, even with insulated gloves.

I like this hand guard, and getting it would make it so I have 8 turn signals total (lol): http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-kobra-handguard-kit-yamaha-fz-07-xsr700

But Givi seems to have more coverage: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-hp2115-handguards-yamaha-fz-07-fz-09

But when it comes down to it, I need something that can work with Renthal Ultralows. I forgot if Renthals are threaded or not in the end. I also have a CRG mirror mounted around the end of my bar (not "in" the end).

Anyone these bars + guards they recommend?

Honestly I would look into heated grips. I have both handguards and heated grips on my dual sport. I feel like the handguards make a minimal difference on cold days, but the grips make a huge difference. To put it in perspective, I live in Minnesota and don't own a pair of cold weather riding gloves! I also don't put my bikes away until we get accumulating snow . Heated grips are awesome!

Honestly I would look into heated grips. I have both handguards and heated grips on my dual sport. I feel like the handguards make a minimal difference on cold days, but the grips make a huge difference. To put it in perspective, I live in Minnesota and don't own a pair of cold weather riding gloves! I also don't put my bikes away until we get accumulating snow . Heated grips are awesome!
I am seeing that these handguards are like $160 for some reason for a piece of plastic. I feel like the handguards on our XR650 cost like $10 to make, idk why they are so expensive for the FZ-07. If I am gonna pay that much I might as well get heated grips. Did you install the ones you have on your DS? 

Yep, good hanguards are not cheap. Good ones have a metal backbone that protects your levers. I have bark busters on my KLR and they have hit the ground and bunch of times, I have yet to break a lever.

I did the install of the grips myself on my KLR. It's pretty easy. I haven't done a set on my FZ yet but plan to. When I do the FZ I'm going to use the auxiliary DC port. I'll probably do it over the winter when I need a project to do. I have the Oxford heated grips on the KLR and they have been working well for over 5 years. They are pretty cheap too, costed like $80ish.

Cool, then I'll definitely go for the heated grips then if I can get good ones for $80. I don't need any hit protection on the guards, only need it for the cold wind block. Thanks for the info

Archived