The MT-07 Forum

Should the coolant be full after 1500 miles of riding?

attackcat109

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, or maybe they filled it past the F tick on the casing, but it is only slightly under the case and I feel the engine temp is getting hotter and hotter lately. For instance, during the early days it used to sit around 180 comfortably without trying to shoot up too quickly, but lately sitting at lights trying to turn left gets the engine up to 200-210. Why is it going up so much more lately? Another thing to note is that I can definitely feel the heat more (though I don't know if I was just ignorant to the feel from the 100F weather during the summer). Does the coolant actually do all that much, or is it like 85% air and 15% coolant?

Guest ChicagoAJ

The hotter it gets, the more the coolant expands. There's an overflow tube if it gets too high. A cup of coolant at 20 degrees F will be much more than a cup at operating temp around 170 F.

I don't know what the heat flow rate is for coolant, but after about 2 hrs it has settle to about 1/2 full, so you are right and there is noticeable difference, but since the coolant is still there, why does the engine get so hot then? Is cooling more air than coolant?

Guest ChicagoAJ
I don't know what the heat flow rate is for coolant, but after about 2 hrs it has settle to about 1/2 full, so you are right and there is noticeable difference, but since the coolant is still there, why does the engine get so hot then? Is cooling more air than coolant?
Air cools it more when you're moving. Coolant cools it when you're stopped and is aided by a fan on the back of the radiator when it gets too hot from idling (225 F with the stock tune is when the fan kicks on). 

If you have been riding in wet or muddy conditions the fashion accessory they call mudguards or
fenders may have allowed the radiator to get clogged with crud.

The engine is liquid cooled and would soon be damaged if you ran it for even a  short time without coolant,
but the coolant itself is cooled by air passing through the radiator.

When it gets hot does the fan come on, 
are the blades free to turn only try turning then
with a cold engine and ignition off we don't want shredded fingers.

Could be the heat you feel is when the fan comes on, mine used to
get quite hot when very new but not so much now, the fan only
starts when the engine gets above normal , 

The display is supposed to flash "Hi" when it get to hot I have never seen
it do that, but don't mess to much it's a new bike ask the dealer to have a
look.

I'm not surprised. It took mine quite awhile to go down as well so they probably filled it past the mark like they do the oil. My bike came with the oil window completely filled (over the full mark) and when I did my last oil change  it still went over the mark when putting only 2.50 quarts in it when the manual says it holds 2.75 U.S. quarts with a new filter. So, your coolant level has went down so maybe that's why it seems to be getting hotter to you or maybe it's just hotter outside than it was 1500 miles ago??? IDK but I don't think your bike is in any danger from the sounds of it. Coolant should hold up longer than 1500 miles and the reservoir isn't empty. Here's some info on coolant I copied from a web site you might find useful.

"Why is a coolant fluid exchange so important?

Coolant breaks down like any other engine fluid. Just as motor oil has vital engine performance additives, your coolant has additives that prevent boiling, freezing and corrosion. When these additives are depleted, contaminants and debris can begin to build up on your radiator, affecting its performance. It’s essential to have your coolant fluid exchanged every so often. And by the way, coolant spelled backward is tnalooc – a word that makes absolutely no sense."

^ I doubt your coolant is broken down just yet, thought I would just point that out for future reference since it wasn't brought up.

http://blog.firestonecompleteautocare.com/maintenance/coolant-transmission-fluid-and-fuel-system-cleaning-faqs/

Beemer

Archived