The MT-07 Forum

What is this?

norcal616

• Premium Member

It's a stop to prevent the handlebars from being turned to far... It's up to you to replace it or not... To remove the triple clamps you need to support the bike up by ratchet straps or vice versa...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
Bent Fork from wheelie gone bad. Took off my forks to inspect damage and discovered a nipple or what's left of it. It's located on my bottom triple tree. My question is what is it and what does it do? I am guessing it limits turns / steering. Should I replace it... I have found the part at the dealers site but there are no tutorials on bottom triple tree. It seems like it's being held in place by top triple tree and according yamaha diagrams it slides up thru frame to connect with top triple tree... seems like I would need a jack to support bike as right now bike is supported by triple tree stand, obviously I cant remove triple tree when it's in use with the stand. What is it? What's it's purpose? And how would I go about replacing that entire part (bottom triple tree) 
whatisthis.jpg

The little nubby that stops the steering throw. (I don't know the technical term.) It's there to prevent the front from turning too much.

As far as fixing it, I'm not sure how it comes apart but to replace that you would have to lift it somewhere other than the fork.

What I've done in the past when I didn't have a triple tree stand (which won't work for you right now anyway...) was run a rigging hoist loop/strap through the frame between the forks and the gas tank. Make sure to remove the two speedometer bolts and make sure it's out of the way. I picked it up by the neck with a forklift at work. Maybe a friend has an engine hoist you can use?

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

It's called a lock stop but it's cast into the bottom yoke or whatever you call it in the US
the lug on the steering stem looks to have had a battering as well.
The steering stem comes fitted to the bottom yoke and you may as well change
the bearings as well.

It's a stop to prevent the handlebars from being turned to far... It's up to you to replace it or not... To remove the triple clamps you need to support the bike up by ratchet straps or vice versa...
Thanks for the reply... I Kind of had a feeling it was the nubs were there to prevent handlebars from going past a certain point. I dont have much  experience riding (obviously since i am doing surprise wheelies)... you seem like you may a little more exp and knowledge so my question is. DO I REALLY NEED the nubs? I know Yamaha Engineers put the nubs there for a reason but before the crash I have never had an issue with the handle bars turning too far. I dont see myself ever needing the nubs for my style of riding... I dont drag knees or take turns aggressively... this damage is the result of an accidental wheelie. I want to replace the part but the part is like $200 alone no bearings, bolts, etc (dealer charges like 3 bucks for a bolt/screw). i dont want to cut corners but this damage is adding up... I am wondering if i can put this repair off until the bike is able to be ridden again... i just want to be able to safely ride again... THEN i will come back and tie up the loose ends. Is it safe to operate the bike (take care of this repair at a later date) with the nub snapped off?

• Premium Member

My following statement is my own opinion and not a statement on the behalf of the forum...

I have personally rode many bikes with broken or missing steering stops...I have found no need stop riding due to broken steering stops unless it's my own personal dirt bike because the only time I actually use them to allow me to lock the handlebars to do a U-turn on a tight trail...the question you should be asking your self is do I feel safe?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

My following statement is my own opinion and not a statement on the behalf of the forum...  
I have personally rode many bikes with broken or missing steering stops...I have found no need stop riding due to broken steering stops unless it's my own personal dirt bike because the only time I actually use them to allow me to lock the handlebars to do a U-turn on a tight trail...the question you should be asking your self is do I feel safe?
Thanks for the reply again... I understand the disclaimer being that I live in America where a person can file a lawsuit for pretty much anything. Even before posting the question of "can i ride without the nub" I had thought about it for hours & hours as i kinda figured the nubs purpose was to limit handle bar turning. 
You are right, I should ask myself "do i feel safe" with the damaged steering stop nub... I have concluded the only way to know is to make the bike able to ride... then ride with the nub missing... if it "turns" out I feel safe i will postpone the nub for a later date. I got the bike new and i kinda want to return it to like new... I mean i am replacing a gas tank fairing because its scratched, so will definitely be back to take care of the "nub" issue if I can get away with postponing the repair for a while.

Thanks for your opinion!!!!

Did you drop the bike after the wheelie? How wrong did the wheelie go?!

Yes it dropped and slid... it was an accidental wheelie... i think i twisted throttle too hard in 1st shifting up to second. I said wheelie gone wrong ..kinda sounds like i was intentionally popping a wheelie but i was not... front wheel came up to my surprise... how bad? I am estimating $1500 worth of bad... 600 for forks. 100 for tail light... turn signals... had a $400 m4 that is now bent.. rear fairing... bar end mirrors... maybe 2000 worth of bad

Guest ChicagoAJ
Did you drop the bike after the wheelie? How wrong did the wheelie go?!
Yes it dropped and slid... it was an accidental wheelie... i think i twisted throttle too hard in 1st shifting up to second. I said wheelie gone wrong ..kinda sounds like i was intentionally popping a wheelie but i was not... front wheel came up to my surprise... how bad? I am estimating $1500 worth of bad... 600 for forks. 100 for tail light... turn signals... had a $400 m4 that is now bent.. rear fairing... bar end mirrors... maybe 2000 worth of bad
Damn dude, sorry to hear that. That definitely sounds like it went very wrong.  

I can save you half on the taillight and signals, I have those stock parts (and many more) for sale in the parts for sale section of the forums (sorry for the self promotion):

http://fz07.org/thread/5373/signals-relay-light-fender-aftermarket

• 2 weeks later...
Damn dude, sorry to hear that. That definitely sounds like it went very wrong.  

I can save you half on the taillight and signals, I have those stock parts (and many more) for sale in the parts for sale section of the forums (sorry for the self promotion):

http://fz07.org/thread/5373/signals-relay-light-fender-aftermarket
Oh... I didn't know a reply came... as far as stock stuff for sale... I am only buying OEM essential parts such as "forks"... I already have the lights and turn signals... well sort of... I have purchased motodynamic rear integrated tail light (signals in the tail light)... as far as front turns... I plan on doing some custom fork mounted turn signals... since the bike is up on the stands I am just gonna go ahead and do some custom stuff to it... I hated the turn signals... and those rear signals were replaced immediately upon leaving the dealer... just some cheap after market signals that got broken off during the drop... 

I broke the one off my bike last year. I had JB welded it back on but eventually came loose again. Does not affect riding at all.
You should check eBay for the different for parts. I've seen the entire thing available in different parts incomplete on eBay multiple times. I know I saw the lower clamps yesterday for like 50 bucks

Archived