The MT-07 Forum

Fault Code 5d__19 this morning

xcarbonsteelx

• Premium Member

I received this fault code this morning when starting up the -07.  The engine wouldn't turn over.  I turned her off waited a few seconds, turned the key on and she started right up.

Is this something I need to be concerned with or just a one time fluke?

5d__19: Sidestand switch: a break or disconnection of the black/red lead of the ECU is detected.

- xCarbonSteelx

I received this fault code this morning when starting up the -07.  The engine wouldn't turn over.  I turned her off waited a few seconds, turned the key on and she started right up. 
Is this something I need to be concerned with or just a one time fluke?

5d__19: Sidestand switch: a break or disconnection of the black/red lead of the ECU is detected.

A good number of people here have had trouble with the side stand switch so maybe check the connection first. It's been the culprit before and mechanics always say to check the easiest things first.

Beemer

• Premium Member

You don't say anything about how old the bike is or conditions it is used/stored in.

I don't know where the switch is but it's probably in a pretty vulnerable position at or near the stand. I would check the condition of the switch and the connections at the switch first... unplug, spray all contacts with commercial contact cleaner, wipe, let dry, and replug, unplug, replug several times. After this, my guess is that you'll probably never see this message again.

I've had similar experiences with switches on everything from riding lawn-mowers to vintage cars; what I recommended frequently works... (btw, the other common problem, especially on older machines, is a bad ground in the circuit).

Best of luck!

Guest ChicagoAJ

A squirrel chewed through my sidestand switch wiring. It would start in neutral and die when putting it in gear (even with the kickstand up). What a pain it was because the bike wasn't at home when it happened.

However, even with the switch's wires completely disconnected - I never got any check engine light or error codes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

I haven't had this happen since. Thank you again for all the responses.

- xCarbonSteelx

A squirrel chewed through my sidestand switch wiring. It would start in neutral and die when putting it in gear (even with the kickstand up). What a pain it was because the bike wasn't at home when it happened.  
However, even with the switch's wires completely disconnected - I never got any check engine light or error codes.
Did you get a look at the culprit? Did he look like this? 

[attachment id=2379" thumbnail="1]Just look at those beady eyes!

Beemer

Archived