The MT-07 Forum

Someone messed with my bike

badpolizei

So I came out to my car today and found my bike moved and the right ECU cable unplugged. I was looking at it and they pulled the two bolts for the flaring out. I plugged the cable back in but no power to the bike when I turn the key any ideas before I go pick up voltameter to see if somehow the battery got drained?

373166.png

I would get it home, or somewhere nearby that you feel is safe before you leave it unattended for an extended length of time. Whoever did this may have done so in order to get you to leave your bike overnight so it could be taken. Unless they are trying to get a specific part? I don't know. If you can't obviously see if anything is disconnected the voltmeter is probably your best bet to start.

Check the fuses 1st as they might be easy to short out with access to the harness side of the ECU plug.

Dunno what the harness looks like, but if they were able to reach in and unplug the ecu, maybe they unplugged the ignition switch as well.

It would be an odd way to steal a bike - not an odd way to steal an ecu however.

If it were me, I'd file a police report and call my insurance company about having it repaired. I have free towing, so I could at least get a free estimate to troubleshoot and repair it.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

I would get it home, or somewhere nearby that you feel is safe before you leave it unattended for an extended length of time. Whoever did this may have done so in order to get you to leave your bike overnight so it could be taken. Unless they are trying to get a specific part? I don't know. If you can't obviously see if anything is disconnected the voltmeter is probably your best bet to start.
Yea, it was at home when they did it. The only thing obvious was the connector hanging down. 
So after googling the right plug from the voltage regulator was unplugged and the fairings off of that side of the bike were off or backed out.

373166.png

Yea, it was at home when they did it. The only thing obvious was the connector hanging down. 
So after googling the right plug from the voltage regulator was unplugged and the fairings off of that side of the bike were off or backed out.

I suppose that makes sense since both your bike and car were there haha. Too bad that you have someone messing with your stuff at home!

• Premium Member

What a p*ss off!  You could consider a good proxy sensor especially if its left outside. Even though I have the luxury of "secure" underground parking I installed the scorpio ir-900 alarm with optional proxy sensor and any alerts are sent to the keyfob. I sleep well.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

What a p*ss off!  You could consider a good proxy sensor especially if its left outside. Even though I have the luxury of "secure" underground parking I installed the scorpio ir-900 alarm with optional proxy sensor and any alerts are sent to the keyfob. I sleep well.

I loved having a proxy sensor on one of my past bikes. I didn't have a key fob, but I did get all the motion alerts on my phone as well as GPS and radius alert. Always had piece of mind. At the time I lived in an apartment with underground closed parking also.

Only problem I had was that my friends always went down to the garage and set off the motion/tilt alert so that I would go downstairs to check on it. Lol

• Premium Member
I loved having a proxy sensor on one of my past bikes. I didn't have a key fob, but I did get all the motion alerts on my phone as well as GPS and radius alert. Always had piece of mind. At the time I lived in an apartment with underground closed parking also. 
Only problem I had was that my friends always went down to the garage and set off the motion/tilt alert so that I would go downstairs to check on it. Lol
Sheesh, what annoying friends.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Years ago, in the middle of the day, and right in the middle of the college campus where I work, someone put a drill into the ignition lock of my Aprilia. They damaged it just enough that my key would no longer go in. They probably never even saw the disk lock - it really wasn't going anywhere fast. Took me 3 hours to destroy the rest of the lock (hammers and screw drivers) so i could unlock the steering. Had to load it on a trailer to get it home that night.

I have a 16 lb hammer that will take care of hands that can't keep to their own stuff. Eh, forget the hammer - I've got both table and band saw and then there's the chained version - far more efficient.

I just ordered a Urban Security UR10/UR6 to put on. No proxy but it should do the trick, at least they wouldn't be able to roll it anywhere. 
If I ever get another bike Ill have to do that alarm though.

Going to check the battery when I get home to see if it's still there and what kind of charge it has. I was thinking if they were messing with the voltage regulator they might have blown the main fuse so after the battery check ill look into that.

373166.png

Years ago, in the middle of the day, and right in the middle of the college campus where I work, someone put a drill into the ignition lock of my Aprilia. They damaged it just enough that my key would no longer go in. They probably never even saw the disk lock - it really wasn't going anywhere fast. Took me 3 hours to destroy the rest of the lock (hammers and screw drivers) so i could unlock the steering. Had to load it on a trailer to get it home that night.  
I have a 16 lb hammer that will take care of hands that can't keep to their own stuff. Eh, forget the hammer - I've got both table and band saw and then there's the chained version - far more efficient.
Heh, heh! I imagine a few, cheap, used, dental tools might suffice as well!  P-)  Arrrgh! 
*Warning, GRAPHIC*  (puke)

[video src=https://youtu.be/GbvnW3_0Z94]

Beemer

I just ordered a Urban Security UR10/UR6 to put on. No proxy but it should do the trick, at least they wouldn't be able to roll it anywhere. 

Going to check the battery when I get home to see if it's still there and what kind of charge it has. I was thinking if they were messing with the voltage regulator they might have blown the main fuse so after the battery check ill look into that.

Considering just how easy it is to get the seat off of this bike, you might consider swapping out the bolts for a security variety like https://www.amazon.com/M6-1-0-30mm-Torx-Security-Bolts/dp/B017283B6C/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1474303790&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=M+secuity+bolt    
you'd of course now need another tool, but it would sure slow someone down, hopefully to the point they'll go elsewhere.

Considering just how easy it is to get the seat off of this bike, you might consider swapping out the bolts for a security variety like https://www.amazon.com/M6-1-0-30mm-Torx-Security-Bolts/dp/B017283B6C/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1474303790&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=M+secuity+bolt    
you'd of course now need another tool, but it would sure slow someone down, hopefully to the point they'll go elsewhere.
That's a good idea, ordered! 
373166.png

That's a good idea, ordered!
You may use it for the license plate too!

Safe riding!

Guest ChicagoAJ

Even with different bolts holding the seat down, you can literally just pull the front part of the seat backwards and up to expose the battery if you pull hard enough. I'm sure if it was yanked on enough, the plastic mounts that hold the bolt would break off too. 

Hadn't thought of that. Of course, that would take some knowledge of how those bits are built. Unfortunately, if someone really wants it, they are gonna find a way.

someone just tried taking my bike last night, broke my steering lock to the point where i cant put my key in, cut my ignition wires and pulled my seat off from the front. I guess he couldn't hotwire it for some reason. nyc street parking is the worst, ill need to find a new place. does anyone know how much it costs to change the steering lock?

• Premium Member
someone just tried taking my bike last night, broke my steering lock to the point where i cant put my key in, cut my ignition wires and pulled my seat off from the front. I guess he couldn't hotwire it for some reason. nyc street parking is the worst, ill need to find a new place. does anyone know how much it costs to change the steering lock?
Jesus! Sorry to hear it. New York sounds absolutely awful from every bike owner who mentions it. Sounds like a city where one needs to lay out concertina wire and a few claymores around their machines...and even then.  

Jesus! Sorry to hear it. New York sounds absolutely awful from every bike owner who mentions it. Sounds like a city where one needs to lay out concertina wire and a few claymores around their machines...and even then.
In Spain for my precious Yama YZF-R125 it was like 250€ + installation... and I agree, my future bike is moving from parking to parking - extra cost to be able to ride, but no other choice.

Safe riding!

Guest ChicagoAJ
I literally posted about someone being able to pull the front seat up a couple days ago when @rick mentioned some security hardware for the seat bolts. Sorry to hear, dude.

Archived