The MT-07 Forum

How come I don't have DRL?

n0rad

I noticed a lot people talking about their DRL. I have a 2016 MT-07 (bought in Turkey) and I don't have DRL. Is that normal? By DRL I mean the front turn signals running automatically. 

Thanks

UK/EU models do not have DRLs. Some regions require DRLs by law. I think Canada is one place. U.S. as far as I know it is not mandated by law but perhaps it is just easier to lump U.S. models and Canada models together, so they end up with DRLs.

I find it funny because motorcycle headlights are always on, so shouldn't that be considered a DRL?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

The bikes sold in North America are required by law to have DRL. The bikes sold in Europe do not have DRL, since it is not required. The FZ-07 has the larger orange turn signals and the MT-07 has the slightly smaller clear lens turn signals.

• Global Moderator

Some states require DRL's on motorcycles (Washington state does not), but it is easier for Yamaha to just put them on all the North American bikes.

UK/EU models do not have DRLs. Some regions require DRLs by law. I think Canada is one place. U.S. as far as I know it is not mandated by law but perhaps it is just easier to lump U.S. models and Canada models together, so they end up with DRLs. 
I find it funny because motorcycle headlights are always on, so shouldn't that be considered a DRL?

For max safety, it helps to have a type of DRL that triangulates the position of the bike.  Otherwise, a single headlight can be misconstrued as belonging to a car much further back, and bam, you get hit by a left turner.  In the case of the FZ, a headlight and two amber turn signals let people know it's a motorcycle, and help people correctly judge the distance.  

I see your point and you're right, headlights are DRL's but people want what's different and what others have. Like how some Americans want ABS that the UK/EU got or how I got a 13.5 ft. kayak instead of a 65' sailboat to cruise the world on.  :'(

Beemer

Archived