The MT-07 Forum

Stock shock and rear wheel travel?

markstertt

I was wondering if anyone has a stock -07 shock with the spring off and if so, they could tell me the actual shock travel from topped out to bottomed out against the rubber bumper? Yamaha claims 2.17" of shock travel and 5.1" of wheel travel and I'd like to know for comparison purposes if this is accurate....thanks, Mark

Can anyone tell me 'about' how much it would cost at a repair shop to just change the fork oil for a heavier oil? Is that about a two hour job at a shop? If so I could gauge the price fairly close that way. Thanks for any input!

Beemer

I apologize @markster, the post I was thinking of had to do with linear-ness but didn't mention actual observed distances.

@Beemer, depends on how the shop goes about it. The "fully proper" way is to take the front end apart, take the springs out and drain, re-fill and put the front-end back together. 2hrs is probably padding it a bit but I reckon it'll eat up most of an hour if not bleed into the next. For one hour of labor charge you could buy a front pin stand and never be at their mercy again.

If you just want to make a detail change, get a syringe and some length of suitable plastic tubing.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I apologize @markster , the post I was thinking of had to do with linear-ness but didn't mention actual observed distances. 
@beemer , depends on how the shop goes about it. The "fully proper" way is to take the front end apart, take the springs out and drain, re-fill and put the front-end back together. 2hrs is probably padding it a bit but I reckon it'll eat up most of an hour if not bleed into the next. For one hour of labor charge you could buy a front pin stand and never be at their mercy again.

If you just want to make a detail change, get a syringe and some length of suitable plastic tubing.
Thank you!

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
I apologize @markster , the post I was thinking of had to do with linear-ness but didn't mention actual observed distances. 
@beemer , depends on how the shop goes about it. The "fully proper" way is to take the front end apart, take the springs out and drain, re-fill and put the front-end back together. 2hrs is probably padding it a bit but I reckon it'll eat up most of an hour if not bleed into the next. For one hour of labor charge you could buy a front pin stand and never be at their mercy again.

Thank you!
@Beemer - Watch this video. You might just want to do it yourself after seeing it.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERweonEcuK4

Thank you!
@beemer - Watch this video. You might just want to do it yourself after seeing it.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERweonEcuK4
Thanks, but I watched that one awhile back and I agree it doesn't look hard to do but I just don't have the room for one more thing in the garage and I don't plan on doing other work that I would need stands like that for. I'm going to treat this one like I do a steak once in awhile and treat myself like a king by letting someone else do it for me. Forks served on a silver platter, heh!

Beemer

I was wondering if anyone has a stock -07 shock with the spring off and if so, they could tell me the actual shock travel from topped out to bottomed out against the rubber bumper? Yamaha claims 2.17" of shock travel and 5.1" of wheel travel and I'd like to know for comparison purposes if this is accurate....thanks, Mark
Shock travel is 43mm from topped out to touching bump stop.

Shock travel is 43mm from topped out to touching bump stop.
Thanks twf, that's what I was looking for...just got back from a week in the mountains with no computer, hence the delayed response...Mark 

Archived