The MT-07 Forum

Vibration

themuell

Hi Guy's!

Ok my question is concerning vibration. Before I ask I'd like to point out that I'm a regular track day rider on a super sport and have have several street fighters. That being said the fact-07 by FAR is the most fun I've had on two wheels period.

Ok so experience tells me something isn't right. As soon as I'm above 105 mph or 170 kph (roughly) the bike becomes a vibrator! I pushed it to 115mph/195kph and it didn't smooth out.
Bike has 2000 km, tires are fine and I've tried several different tire pressures, they're isn't a wheel weight on the front tire, came like that. Head bearing ok, before I go and get the wheels balanced is everyone experiencing similar characteristics?

Hi Guy's!  
Ok my question is concerning vibration. Before I ask I'd like to point out that I'm a regular track day rider on a super sport and have have several street fighters. That being said the fact-07 by FAR is the most fun I've had on two wheels period.

Ok so experience tells me something isn't right. As soon as I'm above 105 mph or 170 kph (roughly) the bike becomes a vibrator! I pushed it to 115mph/195kph and it didn't smooth out.
Bike has 2000 km, tires are fine and I've tried several different tire pressures, they're isn't a wheel weight on the front tire, came like that. Head bearing ok, before I go and get the wheels balanced is everyone experiencing similar characteristics?
I've only taken mine up to 100 mph. and I remember it did feel a little buzzy also but I contributed that to the factory shocks, it being the type of bike it is and the type of engine. This being on a highway which may not be as smooth as a race track. I feel the shocks a lot.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I regularly track mine and don't feel any vibrations like that...

Where are you feeling these vibrations? Everywhere, or is it isolated to the front end, etc. ?

- Paulie

The front end, not the typical buzzy sensation, more like a imbalance, or a loose Stearing bearing. The Stearing unit is ok, so based on your post the wheels might be out of balanced.

Plus one for wheel balance.

I do my own tires (2 bikes) as well as tires for a couple of friends. It does happen now and then to have a wheel/tire combo that does not need a weight to be balanced, but of the 4 bikes I'm currently doing rubber for, all have weights - so 8 wheels currently (it's been as high as 12). And the Japanese wheels always (and I do mean always) need more weight than the 4 Euro wheels.

One other thought - though less likely - a wheel bearing starting to go south could also cause some vibration. Before you pull the axle, but after the calipers are off, give the wheel a spin and see if it feels smooth, there's no play, and there's no grindy noises

It's nothing fancy. The uprights are 2 picts of 3/4" plywood glued together. The bottom is 2x stock edge glued. That "axle" is a Marc Parnes adapter for a wheel that's bolted to a s single sided swinger. it was bought for my Futura, but just happened to also work for my Buddy's SuperDulke R wheel. For other wheels, i'd just use the bike's axle. The axle then just sits on 2 small bearings that meant as guide bearings for a router bit. Those are bolted to a couple bits of aluminum. The left side upright can slide in and out to adjust for width - that 190 tire is about as big as it'll go.

Storage space is at a premium in my basement, so that thing comes apart and stores flat, hanging on a wall. 

Give the wheel a gentle spin and see where it stops - repeat. Add some weight to the high spot. Play roulette until the wheel never stops in the same place. Done.

My bead breaker is also on the cheap - all 2x stock and one large nail for a pivot pin

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/tire%20balancer_zpsk67ptjze.jpg

You could get one of these http://www.marcparnes.com/Universal_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm kits and just drop the bearings at the ends onto jack stands or something. It just needs to be level

Have no feel for what shops do these days - maybe some don't even bother balancing. I'd think it shouldn't cost that much to take the wheel to a shop and have it balanced. Spin balancing would be the best.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are detecting the vib only at high speeds might be an idea to have it dynamically balanced. That should pick up where there is a problem with assymetric ( cross centre line) balance as well as simple rotational balance.
Might pay to check the balance, run out and side to side of the wheel and that the axle centre line is truly axial. Off centre and skewed axle line can show up as well simple balance.
Also check that the centreline of the wheel is exactly centre. Rememebr it only happens at high speed so you are looking for small amounts.
Check BOTH wheels. An out of balance at one end can feel like the other end.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 1 month later...

I get a little bit of vibrations at high speeds but I figured that's just how this bike is. it starts softly at around 80/90mph and just gets worse as I go faster but it's nothing insane or dangerous about it

Archived