The MT-07 Forum

M4 exhaust

ccam7374

Ok so I just put on my M4 slip on exhaust on my bike and I don't even have 250 miles on it yet. Let me say the M4 makes the bike sound like a "BEAST". I love the way it sounds. Now my question is has anyone put on the M4 and waited to get the EJK? It might be 2-4 weeks before I can get the EJK. One more question Will it hurt the engine any to run without EJK for a little while? I am not to concerned if it looses power cause it has plenty enough for me I just don't want it to do any harm to the engine. If so I may have to park it till I can get the correct funds together for the EJK. Any opinions and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'd say EJK isn't mandatory, as it's a slip-on and not a full exhaust (collectors included), so I'd vote that it's safe for your engine to ride it! You could even ride it without the EJK, but it's highly recommendable if you wanna get more juice from your bike (and enjoyment!). :)

Safe riding!

I'm planning to run my SC-Project with no EJK when I install it (they say it's not mandatory, so I'll give it a try). For example, the Akrapovic titanium is a full system and in theory you would not need a fuel controller if you run it with the baffle in, but it'd be nice to have it. ;)

Safe riding!

From what one of the more educated guys on bikes here has said in the past, the bike's ECU will adjust to small changes so it's probably not necessary but an EJK will smooth out the throttle, help it run better, almost completely eliminate the engine braking and excessive loud popping that may occur with an aftermarket pipe such as the M4. It's nice to have, I love mine.

Beemer

I am running the M4 right now without an EJK. I think the bike runs fine with the baffle in. With the baffle out is another story though. It pops a lot with the baffle out. I don't get any popping with it in. I plan to add an EJK down the road when I have the money.

Ok so what I understand here is that if I choose to run without the baffle in, it will pop, but that popping will not harm the engine per say. Is this a correct assumption to make?

I will get the EJK it just will be another 7-10 days and I know I won't be on the bike all 7-10 days. So if I use it a few times it will be fine?

I am a worry wart a bit when it comes to my bike. I just love my bike better than all my prior bikes in the past.

I do appreciate anyone who replies to my post cause I feel I can learn a lot here.Thanks to all

If you are planning to get the EJK in 7 to 10 days then why not just run it with the baffle in for the time being? The M4 sounds pretty good with the baffle in. The popping is not good. It means the bike is running lean. Baffle in, problem solved. Then once you get the EJK pull out the baffle and make some noise!

Ride it with the baffle in, it's OK and you don't have to get an EJK if you're alright with the characteristics aforementioned.

Beemer

The way I am I vote baffle out, but for now I am running with the baffle in till I get the EJK. I did have some popping but not much and not bad.

Guest ChicagoAJ
From what one of the more educated guys on bikes here has said in the past, the bike's ECU will adjust to small changes so it's probably not necessary but an EJK will smooth out the throttle, help it run better, almost completely eliminate the engine braking and excessive loud popping that may occur with an aftermarket pipe such as the M4. It's nice to have, I love mine.
Only a custom tune/flash from either 2WheelDynoWorks, Dobeck, or Hordpower will get rid of engine braking, as far as I know. An EJK by itself will only add fuel where it's needed. I don't think just an EJK will change the stock tune to add fuel to deceleration with no throttle input.  
Bike will be fine with just the M4 exhaust and nothing else, but it'll run worse than stock in most areas. To get the most out of the exhaust you need a fuel controller at least. 

Only a custom tune/flash from either 2WheelDynoWorks, Dobeck, or Hordpower will get rid of engine braking, as far as I know. An EJK by itself will only add fuel where it's needed. I don't think just an EJK will change the stock tune to add fuel to deceleration with no throttle input.  
Bike will be fine with just the M4 exhaust and nothing else, but it'll run worse than stock in most areas. To get the most out of the exhaust you need a fuel controller at least. 
You must've missed some of the earlier threads or talk about EJK's. Others and I that use them have claimed they do help a lot with the engine braking. After I installed mine the nutski bros have been content.

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
You must've missed some of the earlier threads or talk about EJK's. Others and I that use them have claimed they do help a lot with the engine braking. After I installed mine the nutski bros have been content.
Interesting, didn't know they had the capability to do that without an outside source tweaking the maps. 

Interesting, didn't know they had the capability to do that without an outside source tweaking the maps. 
Glad to see you're a believer now. Hallelujah!  ;)

Beemer

i had an m4 on my bike since it had less than 50 miles on it. put 3500 on the odo before i got the ecu flashed by 2wdw. the bike ran great the entire 3500 miles. even better after the flash.

Dave

The EJK came in and I am putting a K&N filter. I should do this, this up coming weekend. I am also putting on my fender eliminator and my intergrated tailight, changing the turn signals up front and also going to install my new LED head light. So if everything goes well and I get it all done my bike should be almost complete except for the levers, they haven't come in yet. I will let everyone know when I am done and how the bike runs after I install the EJK.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so here is my bike but this is before I did all the extras. I will try to put another pic of it with more extras.
20161005_222449.jpg

20161005_222636.jpg

20161005_222508.jpg

20161005_222658.jpg

Archived