The MT-07 Forum

Play in Handlebar Mounts

foothills

Noticed some play in my handlebars this morning on my two week old FZ07.  The play is at the base of the handlebar mounts where they mount to the triple-tree.  Checked the nuts at the bottom and they are already extremely tight, most likely over-torqued.  

There is a .019" gap between the base of the handlebar clamps and the triple tree - sure looks like there should be washers or spacers there so looked at the IPB on Parts Fish sight, and sure enough  part number 92990-10200-00 washer called for each side, but didn't see any.

EDIT:  closer look with a bright flashlight later revealed there are small thin washers in there that are a smaller diameter than the base so they don't extend out to the edge; apparently the gap is supposed to be there as others educated me in the posts below to allow some vibration movement.  

Hmm, the bars are rubber mounted and will move if leaned on. They should also spring back. It's done to quell vibrations and maybe even to take out some jolts from that cheap front suspension.

• Premium Member

There are older posts of people complaining of this. It is normal to dampen vibrations. Your hands and fingers will thank you after a few hours on the road.

Archived