The MT-07 Forum

first ride report and few questions

ircsmith

got the FZ to the track at Tunderhill yesterday with Fun Track Dayz.  normally I ride a 450 triple (long story go here for info http://www.450triple.com/)  so all my comparisons are to a 400 lb wet bike that makes 80 hp and 22 lb-ft.  first off let me state my FZ is a frankenbike.  I picked it up with the front end ripped off (appears to be a common problem) and reassembled the bike with parts I had in the garage.  It has an '08 R6 front end that some slight mods were made to the clamps to bring the trail from the stock 102 (or what ever it was) to 95 mm.  the rear I wanted to use one of the Penske shocks I had sitting around.  only problem was the linkage on the FZ used a stupid long shock clevis.  I had two options.  make a clevis for the Penske or make linkage that would fit the standard clevis that every other motorcycle in the world uses.  I made the linkage even though that meant that I could not race in the stock class for this bike.  I remade the side plates the footpegs mount to so the old Vortex rearsets I had would fit.  finally I picked up bodywork and a flashed ECU from AP. 

so there is the basics on the bike.  I was a bit apprehensive with all that I changed but I slung a leg over it off we went.  first thing I took note of is the distance the shift lever had to move the change gears.  some of my fault form the spare part I used but the shift shaft rotation is huge compared to my GSXR.  this is not a race bike, I get that, so I'll have to fix this.  second issue was the seating.  the bodywork is like a 2x6.  I put a foam pad but this will have to be changed. 

that was the bad.  the good was the torque.  this bike is so easy to ride compared to the small inline 4.  the drive out of the corners was fantastic.  the transitions from side to side is so easy.  I was worried about only having 95mm of trail but this felt great.  the front would skip over bumps at lean but suspension has not been tweaked yet.  just ran with the guesses I made.

half way through the day the shift linkage broke...my mistake.  I am exited to take the bike out again.  I think this will be easy to go fast on. 

• 2 weeks later...

@ircsmith I live about an hour away from thunderhill and just took the California superbike school course there. Let me know if you're planning on doing another fun track dayz event and I'll join you. I definitely plan on going back, and the price can't be beat!

R6 with the AFM at THill is over.  did the FIV race on Sat.  started in the back of the grid......and finished in the back of the pack :-/   had some major chatter issues. 

the shifting issue is fixed thanks to my new shift lever.  moved the linkage mount point drastically. planned to post some pictures but the bike is with Gerry Piazza for a torture session on the rack.  I stared the day out with, what I measured to be, the best geometry I could get with my left over parts.   had the bike over to Catalyst reaction many times on Friday and Jim got it working much better.  putting more weight on the front helped but every time I got near race pace the front would skip while leaned over.  also I had changed the gearing to 15/44 (its what I had in the spare parts bin)  way too low.  plan to go back to 16 front sprocket.  the GSXR rear sprockets fit the FZ so I will have 44-47 to play with.  guess I'm accustom to playing with the inline 4 and a 1 tooth drop on the front is the norm.  much to learn with the twin. 

Looks to be that much of my chatter issue is due to two issues.  the head stock is twisted and one of the R6 forks I put on the bike is bent.  the feel good of all this that that the geometry I started with is close to ideal to start with so there will be no major remaking of parts. 

the plan now is to get the bits straight and respiring  the front end and try it again. 

oh and for the record I have been called many things like ass*ole, jerk, sht head, big boy (by a stripper so it does not count)....but never fireball!  thanks :D

want to do a track day as soon as I get it back so will ping you ddog if its at THill

It has an '08 R6 front end that some slight mods were made to the clamps to bring the trail from the stock 102 (or what ever it was) to 95 mm.    
You actually did opposite, stock is 90mm and you added switching to R6 triples. And than whatever geometry changes you made will set your trail. 

• 2 weeks later...

you are correct there Zoran. I had it backwards.  stock trail is 90mm and a decrease in offset increases the trail. 

the bike is with Gerry at the moment.  good news is when I use the spreadsheet I setup with the measuring method devised I almost had the geometry just right.  the forks are over sprung for me and the head stock is twisted.  Gerry will fix the frame and the forks will get new springs so I can try it again.  unfortunately after all this the bike will be going up for sale.  the class I wanted to run with it has been slotted with a 450 race so I will not be able to run the FZ with the AFM. 

Archived