The MT-07 Forum

After market clutch lever sticking

mattypfunk

Hello,
I purchused Chinese aftermarket levers and when I installed the clutch lever and tightened it, it is now sticking pretty badly. I re-used the original bushing and used some white lithium grease. If I don't tighten the nut all the way it's ok. It only sticks when I tighten it all the way down. I don't feel comfortable riding with it particularly tighten. Any ideas (besides don't use Chinese levers lol)?????

They sound out of spec, which is common with the Chinese levers. I had a set that were machined too thin and the slop was so bad they were hardly useable. I just picked up some crg's from @bellissimoto and I love them, but they are crazy expensive. You should probably not ride on them if you aren't able to tighten them to a level you feel comfortable. Not likely to be problematic, but I don't think it's worth it to test fate.

They sound out of spec, which is common with the Chinese levers. I had a set that were machined too thin and the slop was so bad they were hardly useable. I just picked up some crg's from @bellissimoto and I love them, but they are crazy expensive. You should probably not ride on them if you aren't able to tighten them to a level you feel comfortable. Not likely to be problematic, but I don't think it's worth it to test fate.

That's what I am thinking too, they are out of spec. I wanted CRG's but just like you said, very expensive. I was hoping that the $20 levers would have won me over but burned again by buying knock off smh. Thanks for your help ddog!

• Premium Member

Just don't over tighten that nut. As long as it's all lines up correctly and your cable is lubed you should be fine. It would take an awful lot to have a lever come loose from the bike. Worst I've had happen is my clutch lever started sticking after riding in the rain for a few days and not giving her a proper lube treatment. After some lube she was just like new. I purchased eBay shorty levers and they match up perfectly.

The bolt is supposed to tighten on the bush and the lever pivot on the
bush with a little side clearance, so the levers are too wide most likely by
only a few thousandths of a inch, if they are cheapo ones it may not be
worth sending them back as postage will be close to what they cost so
you could by putting some emery paper on the edge of something flat and getting
the lever flat just a few rubs would likely get the clearance you need
done on the bottom side no one will see it.

As you said, it's OK when you don't tighten the nut all the way. Every lever on every bicycle and motorcycle I've ever had have been touchy like that and I've never been able to tighten one real tight without them sticking. It's alright not being tightened real tight. Some things require less torque than others, this is one of them. Give them a chance before you get rid of them and maybe check them a couple times a week for awhile until you feel confident they aren't coming loose and going to fall off at 70 mph.

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
As you said, it's OK when you don't tighten the nut all the way. Every lever on every bicycle and motorcycle I've ever had have been touchy like that and I've never been able to tighten one real tight without them sticking. It's alright not being tightened real tight. Some things require less torque than others, this is one of them. Give them a chance before you get rid of them and maybe check them a couple times a week for awhile until you feel confident they aren't coming loose and going to fall off at 70 mph.
Both of the levers are held in with bolts from the top down, even without a nut on the bottom I bet you could ride a while without it jumping out of the hole. I had to ride one of my bikes without a clutch lever 13 miles home when it was stolen, haha. Had to push start, jam it into first while it was rolling maybe 10mph, then really carefully get home without stopping - that was an adventure. 

Archived