The MT-07 Forum

Kicking a dead horse: the exhaust topic

tatersauce

I know this is like kicking a dead horse but why not ask. In this video the stock exhaust mod is done,

I can not find a definitive answer, does this harm the bike in any way aside from the fact you are putting holes in it. Side note this is not a permit thing I will have a M4 slip on with an ejk at some point eventually. I have 2 kids, a wife, and a house, it takes time for me to save money for things like motorcycles and parts. Please leave the opinions about sounds at the door, I know it is not the best sounding thing ever but it is only temporary till I get my M4.i just want to know does it hurt the bike, if yes what does it do long term and short term

Thank you

The exhaust is modded in this video, I wouldn't even bother. Why take the chance to make it sound like crap for later on when you go to sell it. I would just wait until you exhaust comes in. Besides, everyone knows the Akra Ti sounds the best.

But if it is a path you want to go down then more power to you. Lots of people have an like it. It might not matter much to you since you are cutting the muffler off anyway for your slip on.

I drilled mine,six holes, but I was in the same position as you. I only ran it this way for a few weeks before I bought the M4. I drilled it once I knew FOR SURE that I had the money and was getting the M4. Honestly, I thought it sounded like crap drilled out, like a fart can Civic. I would not do it unless you know for sure you are getting the M4. It would be annoying to live with it for a long time. I have a welder so I knew I could patch it up if I hated it. On a side note I love my M4. It sounds killer!

To answer your question....No, no harm will come to the rest of your bike.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Honestly, I thought it sounded like crap drilled out, like a fart can Civic.  

I TOTALLY disagree that it sounds like a "fart can"  I did mine with three 3/8" holes on top and two 7/16" holes on bottom for about the same net area since the weld got in the way on the bottom.  It has a nice growl, nothing like a fart can, not even close.  Are there aftermarket pipes that sound better - sure!  If you want to spend the money on the exhaust, fuel controller, etc with the possibility of losing low end torque and gas mileage in the process.  I didn't; but someone else may want to and that's fine too.  Seems like some people it took two or three tries to get a good setup that worked.  Experimentation and trial/error can be a fun process, but expensive too.  

I'm very happy with the results and this is all I'm going to do with my exhaust:

It's a little louder so deer and drivers have a better chance of hearing me but not loud enough to obnoxiously wake up the neighbors when I leave for work at 6:20 AM.  No loss of torque, no loss of fuel mileage, engine is not running any hotter.  

If you drill, make sure you have at least a basic idea of how to drill sheet metal:  1.  Plan ahead and measure/lay out your holes.  2.  Use a center punch to get a good start and keep the bit from walking.  3.  Drill about a 1/8 or 3/16 pilot hole with a good, sharp bit - use lube and don't use a real high speed.  4.  Best bit to open the holes to full size is a quality step drill bit (the ones from Harbor Freight are actually quite good!)  5.  Make sure to de-burr the inside and outside edges of the holes with a deburring tool and/or sandpaper to prevent possible cracks later from vibration.

Does it harm the Bike?
The EFI system is completely capable of delivering way more fuel than this mod is going to need is the simple answer. It will adjust the fuel load to suit . It will run the same lean as it does stock , that's what the ECU does.
If you are really concerned , start the bike and DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE AT ALL, let it idle until the fan starts. turn it off. That should help the fuelling reset at least the closed throttle if it needs it. Then run it around without hooning for a little then go flog it. Should have learned pretty well what it needs by then.
But without doing anything it should be fine anyway.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Does it harm the Bike? The EFI system is completely capable of delivering way more fuel than this mod is going to need is the simple answer. It will adjust the fuel load to suit . It will run the same lean as it does stock , that's what the ECU does.
If you are really concerned , start the bike and DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE AT ALL, let it idle until the fan starts. turn it off. That should help the fuelling reset at least the closed throttle if it needs it. Then run it around without hooning for a little then go flog it. Should have learned pretty well what it needs by then.
But without doing anything it should be fine anyway.
This is interesting to me. Is this some sort of calibration not mentioned in the user manual?

Simple loop system using the "O2" sensor. air temp etc, etc. Almost all modern EFI vehicles are the same. Some have limitations ( such as the TR650 Husky for which the injectors simply won't deliver much more than the stock amount) but most are pretty wide range. There was a mythbusters program showing a ECU/EFI car would even run on moonshine...

• 2 weeks later...
I drilled mine,six holes, but I was in the same position as you. I only ran it this way for a few weeks before I bought the M4. I drilled it once I knew FOR SURE that I had the money and was getting the M4. Honestly, I thought it sounded like crap drilled out, like a fart can Civic. I would not do it unless you know for sure you are getting the M4. It would be annoying to live with it for a long time. I have a welder so I knew I could patch it up if I hated it. On a side note I love my M4. It sounds killer!
I just drilled 6 holes in mine. I only briefly idled and slightly revved it in the garage but so far it seems to sound pretty crappy and run even worse.  
When I first started it, it seemed very, very rich. I would expect opening the exhaust to lean it out so this is likely just the ECU trying to figure out what has happened and will probably settle down once it has adjusted itself to the new conditions.

The good news is that I drilled the holes to match the size of 1/4" threaded "rivnut" inserts so I should be able to easily plug the holes.

Guest 2wheeler
Besides, everyone knows the Akra Ti sounds the best. 

You surely must be mistaken as everyone know that the SC Project absolutely sounds the best! :) 
Spoken by a new SC believer.... now if 2WDW would just get a flash for it!

• Global Moderator

After riding with the @2wheeldynoworks flash with the stock exhaust for a while now I would not buy an exhaust that I could not get a flash for. Fortunately I live close enough to them that I can get any exhaust I want :)

2wheeldynoworks
After riding with the @2wheeldynoworks flash with the stock exhaust for a while now I would not buy an exhaust that I could not get a flash for. Fortunately I live close enough to them that I can get any exhaust I want :)
If you came down with a SC exhaust i know a lotta folks that'd be happy ;)

Aye!

"After riding with the 2wheeldynoworks flash with the stock exhaust for a while now I would not buy an exhaust that I could not get a flash for."

Don't get me wrong, the 07 needs a reflash/ fuel controller to run best. It just doesn't HAVE to have one . It will run the same AFR as an unmodded exhaust with the stock ECU in stock program.

What's an SC exhaust? The super charger project someone was working on?

2wheeldynoworks
Don't get me wrong, the 07 needs a reflash/ fuel controller to run best. It just doesn't HAVE to have one . It will run the same AFR as an unmodded exhaust with the stock ECU in stock program.
Changing the exhausts will not run the same AFR as stock. Especially when going to a full system. 

What's an SC exhaust? The super charger project someone was working on?
http://www.sc-project.com/yamaha_mt_07_e.htm 

As far as I can the ECU has no clue the exhaust is there or not. The ECU will attempt to keep the AFR at the table values by measuring the resistance across the "O2" sensor. So it will adjust the EFI pulse accordingly. Unless the injection maxxes out ( like in Husky TR650's apparently) it will adjust supply the fuel that the exhaust gas produces the required reading the table value.
Correct me if I am wrong but that's how I understand it works.
2wheeldynoworks, are you the other Aussie vendor I have been trying to tell others about beside ECUWest that can remap aussie ECU's?

Archived