The MT-07 Forum

Dash LCD flickering and going out

bernard1414

Had some funny business going on tonight with my dash. The screen began to flicker, then it would all of a sudden go completely dark, then back to normal. As I kept riding, the flickering continued. I even turned the bike off, let it sit, and turned it on again and it was still happening. It also flickers here and there while the bike is off, with the key in the on position. All connections seems to be fine, from what I can see in the dark. Has anyone ever has issues like this? If so, what did you do to fix it? Thanks for the help guys.

• Premium Member

Video??? Maybe the starter switch is iffy, could be just slightly touching the contact from a road bump or vibration???

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest ChicagoAJ

I had this happen on one of my old bikes. If all the connections are solid it's the LED backlight that's dying/intermittent.

My 2012 CBR250R that had this issue only had a couple solutions:

1) Get a new cluster (resets mileage)
2) Rip open the existing cluster and solder in different LEDs

They wanted something like $300-500 for a new cluster, I only paid $2400 for the bike. So I dealt with it until I sold it. Made driving at night really crappy because you couldn't see what speed you were going.

pineappleunderthesea

A long shot, but is your battery OK? On my Honda Shadow, my cluster (which was not nearly as advanced as this one) would act really weird if the battery was low, it took a while for it to behave until the battery was mostly charged.

• Global Moderator

I understood the problem was the display was going blank. If it is the backlight then that is a different problem. Either way though I would start by double checking all the connections. At least that is easy, and maybe something just worked its say loose (I would check the ECU connection too, although it seems unlikely that would become loose by itself).

How long have you been riding your bike? If a wire has come a little loose it can rub on the frame and cause a short. That could explain the flickering.

Beemer

• 3 weeks later...

I came here to look for the same issue.
With mine the dash MIGHT flicker on at high revs but almost never lights up at idle or lower revs. The bike starts fine every time and the dash itself never goes out so I question battery issues. It has been going on for some time but I ride little at night and just forget about it.
I will check connectors but I guess it is in for a warranty claim for me... Dang

on mine, the harness to that cluster has a pretty nasty bend in it. if the connections are good, I'd consider opening up that jacket to see if there's a wire that's been broken.

As for connectors - I'm a big fan of this stuff. Own an Italian motorcycle and you'll understand why, lol. https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475162605&sr=8-1&keywords=deoxit+d5

If you've been using dielectric silicone grease on electrical plugs - stop. This stuff not only protects against oxidation, it also enhances the connection where silicone is not a good conductor.

• 3 years later...

I have the same issue. I am seeing people refer to the starter or battery. I actually have been having some pretty long cranks before start as well. It sounds like it is about to start but doesn't and I have to hold the ignition for about 5+ secs at times. Is this related?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 7:44 PM, norcal616 said:

Video??? Maybe the starter switch is iffy, could be just slightly touching the contact from a road bump or vibration???

So a starter switch would cause the dash to flicker and intermittently go out? I'm having the same issue. Also having some starting issues, where it takes quite a bit of crank for it to start up, but consistently starts.