The MT-07 Forum

Highway Riding Question

ajenda07

Hello, so I am new to riding, about 3 months in..I love it ha. But on the highway I am not comfortable at all. I see people on bikes flying by me. Not that I want to be a "crazy" guy on the highway, I do want to open up some power though. What happens is the wind makes me feel like I am going to loose control or fly off the bike. Turning my head to look in the mirrors/head check before lane changing also is kind of scary. My bike came with a windscreen but it was too large and hated the appearance. Would a smaller screen help me out? Or is this something that people get used to? I feel like I have to hang on for life and it actually uncomfortable after 10-15 minutes. Any advice would be appreciated!
Full_Size_Render.jpg

Depends on the speed. Around 75 or so I definitely feel like I am being blown off. That is part of riding a naked standard. They have the power for highway and interstate, they're just not designed aerodynamics for it. You'd always have that feeling. You may get used to it but by very design even buffeting will be infinitely worse.

If you want to keep the FZ07 and do a lot of riding like that it is best you have a windshield. The one pictured looks like it would do fantastically and you should just put it on.

If looks were THAT important you could try a PUIG New Gen ST like I have. It works well. Not nearly as well as the one you have now though I imagine.

My smallish windscreen (39 cm) keeps the wind off my chest, which is the most important thing to me only because it keeps the gnat massacre off my clean shirts. Usually, unless there is a freakish, coastal blast of wind, I can deal with cruising speeds between 70-80 mph. Over 80 it can start to get a little choppy.

http://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-Nose-Screen-39cm-for-Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5021.html

Beemer

At higher speeds I try to adjust my riding position ... you'll notice a huge difference once you lay down on a tank and get as much aerodynamic as possible.

• Global Moderator

I was pretty much a new rider when I got my bike two years ago. I did not like riding on the freeway at first, but after doing it for a while it got better and now I have no problem with it at all. Obviously I still have the wind forces, I am just used to it now and I am not feeling like the bike is unstable.

Coming to know your limits and knowing what you and the bike will do at speed will come with more experience. Just give it time and you will grow/learn what to expect it on the highway.

Guest 2wheeler

On Father's Day I rode 530 miles with no windscreen with most of the speed being between 50-80 on the highway/interstates, and I was fine with that. It's just a matter of experience and comfort... and that only comes with time in the saddle.

Strangely since then I have got a Givi windscreen, and in some ways, I like riding the FZ better with no windscreen. That comes after riding 700 miles with the Givi two weekends ago.

Having said that, I also might be the only one on this forum who actually likes the stock seat. I've changed a lot of stuff, but so far, I have felt no need to change the seat - LOL

Although you get used to it, the feeling of something getting blown off doesn't change. For me it was my helmet. I had this weird habit of opening my mouth thinking that it would make my chin strap tighter. Was nothing but a placebo but I did that early on. A small windscreen still helps (I use a ermax sport size one) for sure.

Tucking helps but the fz07 wasn't designed for comfortable tucking seeing as there really is nothing to rest your chest on. Long periods of tucking will no doubt hurt your lowerback. Or you can get a tank bag and rest your chest on that.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

Upgrading the suspension practically kills the wind dancing the fz-07 does...using bulky dirt bike like helmets is self explanatory I believe...using bulky loose fitting riding gear makes one feel like a sail...I point my toes inward slightly to naturally lock my knees into the gas tank when riding on freeway...everyone rides a tad different...prior to suspension upgrade I tried to use the Ermax short windscreen but found the windscreen help make the bike dance more in the wind and directed the air noise right at my helmet, so the only time I use a windscreen is at the drag strip...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

On Father's Day I rode 530 miles with no windscreen with most of the speed being between 50-80 on the highway/interstates, and I was fine with that. It's just a matter of experience and comfort... and that only comes with time in the saddle.  
Strangely since then I have got a Givi windscreen, and in some ways, I like riding the FZ better with no windscreen. That comes after riding 700 miles with the Givi two weekends ago.

Having said that, I also might be the only one on this forum who actually likes the stock seat. I've changed a lot of stuff, but so far, I have felt no need to change the seat - LOL

Rofl, we are 2 here feeling the same with the stock seat... Now, ask my GF... She hates it (aka passenger seat), as I would... Hehe

Safe riding!

Move back in the seat, put more weight on the bars,as your speed increases. If you maintain a certain speed you will find a neutral position where the wind will hold you up. Everyone's different, but 72 to 78mph is the sweet spot for both my bike and myself.
Check the fit of your helmet. A wrong sized helmet will shift on your head as you look from side to side. A good helmet makes a better ride.
Get on the highway and ride until you get used to it and then keep on going.

I'll add start wearing ear plugs. Big difference in how the bike sounds and feels just cutting out the wind noise. I started wearing them maybe 10 or 15 years ago. Wish I had at the beginning of my riding career. I'd probably have better hearing now.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

That screen will be vortex shedding like there is no tomorrow.
The best fix ( but not pretty) is to mount a spaced screen at the top and in front of the other screen . This helps the flow stay attached and smoother. I usually use helmet visors as they are esay to get and very unbreakable. 3 bolts, nuts and washers ad 3 spacers about 10 to 15mm.
You could try spacing it up as standard ( lift same orientation straight upwards) or upwards and tilt it a bit more back. Needs to get a flow that will stop the shedding ( in the dead air behind the screen.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 11 months later...

It definitely sounds like your helmet doesn't fit, you shouldn't feel like it is rattling around on your head at highway speeds. I'm 6'4" so can't do much tucking on my bike on the highway, but that would be uncomfortable anyway. I have a small windscreen which helps quite a bit. Good luck.

All good advice so far. A windscreen should really help. I'm 6'1" and I use an MRA Double Bubble and it does a very good job until maybe 85mph or so, past that and the wind starts creeping in, but never as bad as the stock nothing. I do like Beemer's Ermax screen, though - it looks like it may be an improvement over mine and I may have to try one.
Also, loosen your grip on the bars. A death grip translates every buffet (especially cross winds and gusts) to your upper body straight to the bars and makes rides very tiring. Just kind of rest your hands on the grips and hold the bike with your knees (not super tight, kind of like you're holding a lemon without squishing it).
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-double-bubble-racingscreen-windshield-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

• Premium Member

Thinking Waaaaay back when I first started riding, any speed over 45mph felt "crazy fast!". As my experience increased I became more comfortable at highway speeds and will admit to having been at triple digit speeds across a bridge in the middle of the night once or twice.

Give yourself time, you'll become more comfortable at speed soon enough. That said, don't go any faster than you're comfortable with. Not everyone feels the constant need to exceed the speed limit to enjoy riding. So don't let anyone pressure you into anything you're not comfortable with.... if your friends want to go tear-assing around... agree to a rally point that everyone can get to at whatever speed they want.

Remember, it's supposed to be fun, or why bother? :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I would ride at a speed that is comfortable for you. Not to worry about anyone speeding passed you. You can naturally build up the speed as your confidence grows. Up to 60mph, I find wind is not enough to worry about.

Just do it! 

glockpointer

I have the screen that the OP has, v-stream something, I love it , made all the difference in the world. Doesn't matter how you look in the shop window riding by.

• 1 year later...

OP how are you holding up lol I'm curious. I ride my 07on the hwy at 90mph w no windscreen daily and it handles well as long as I stay crouched. Hope you're still riding buddy! This thread actually played a part in my decision making for the 07 =]

Ha, I hadn't seen this thread but this was my biggest issue when I started 4,000 miles ago. I bought a windscreen after half a year, but I want to remove it now and see if I just got more confident, if it really helped, or both. My guess is 70% confidence, 30% windscreen. 

pushing the wind with yer chest will always make whatever speed (above say 50) feel faster. It's also tiring and will contribute to fatigue. 

Of course, adding a short shield, while taking the load off yer upper body,  adds noise to the experience. 

So if ya wanna sit in a quiet, calm place, ya need a big barn door out front - or just take the car. 

Archived