The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Security

Guest 2wheeler

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 2wheeler
Here's the article from the motorcycle thief: http://rideapart.com/articles/ask-a-motorcycle-thief
I read this article before, and found it to be really educational! 
The thing that I thought was sorta odd was how the thief said that they ride the bike away, and the cop said that the bike was put into a truck/van and driven away. To me it seems easier to use the van, but the thief had a good point on why that is not a good idea.

Both the thief and the cop had a lot of good points though.

As a side note, I was at my dealership the other day, and they were telling me that the FZ-07 was flying out of there. It is a very large dealership, and they are selling a ton of them. That's telling me that desire to steal them would most likely be increasing as well. I personally don't consider the FZ-07 a sport bike, but they sure look it, and people want the sport bikes.

Here's the article from the motorcycle thief: http://rideapart.com/articles/ask-a-motorcycle-thief
It's not RF shielding but the article I mentioned did say that a lot of times a signal can't be picked up by satellite when it's even just in a valley, let alone a building with a lot of metal to block a signal. Nice article!

Beemer

• Premium Member

I plan to purchase a tile to keep in the tail of the bike. They just came out with one that's thinner, like a credit card. 

They offer bundles, so if you buy more, they get cheaper. They don't last forever, as the battery dies eventually... but for $25, I won't complain.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I plan to purchase a tile to keep in the tail of the bike. They just came out with one that's thinner, like a credit card.  
They offer bundles, so if you buy more, they get cheaper. They don't last forever, as the battery dies eventually... but for $25, I won't complain.

Nice thought! But it reliesnon BT, about 100 ft of connectivity in optimum conditions, right? Just correct me if I'm wrong, because it's a nice alternative otherwise!

Safe riding!

• Premium Member

That is the BT length, but it works based off the Tile Community. So if there's another user nearby, it will then send a signal back to you. The more, the merrier.

There are stories of motorcycles being recovered in this fashion.

If I were to buy one of those I would get some double sided 3M tape and put that sucker inside a tail light or somewhere that it fits inside but mainly a place a pro thief wouldn't think to look in.  (NO pro's are reading this   ;)  )

Beemer

• Premium Member

@beemer - Haha, yeah - they highlight the ability to do just that... they offer the tape as an accessory.

After reading some reviews, I decided to go with the regular tile. It's a bit more compact and has the hole... so it'll give me the option to ziptie it somewhere if I want to.

Guest 2wheeler

I had a package waiting for me when I got home from work today. It was the most badass 9' chain I have ever seen in my life. The Pewag chain has enough of a look that it going to tell all but the most dedicated thief to keep on going down the road. The FZ wasn't readily available to lock it at my normal place, but when it is, I'll post pics. I am seriously hoping that I can get a couple links through the slot in the swingarm, but it's going to be close, that's for sure. It will ultimately go around a 60 year old 10'x10' barn beam that is one of the colums supporting the roof of my carport. That beam is secured in concrete, and feels like it is made of concrete too.

Chains are only as good as what it's locked too. I still think a good deterrent is a lot better than nothing at all. I lock mine through the swing arm and have a motion detector set up. It's great while someone is at home, which is 90% of the time. The rest is up to my insurance.

Guest 2wheeler

So I checked today, and that Pewag chain nicely goes through the slot in the swingarm which allows the bike frame (assuming nobody is going to the effort to remove the swingarm itself) and the rear wheel both to be secured by the chain.

@beemer - Haha, yeah - they highlight the ability to do just that... they offer the tape as an accessory.  
After reading some reviews, I decided to go with the regular tile. It's a bit more compact and has the hole... so it'll give me the option to ziptie it somewhere if I want to.
Ha! Really?! All I read on the link was what they do, didn't bother to read everything. I'm sure a lot of people would've thought to use that tape if they hadn't thought of it. Be sure and use black, double sterile, one way zip ties.  ;)

Beemer

• Premium Member
I recently got the Granit Detecto X-Plus 8077 Alarm Disc Lock after doing my research.  
As mentioned above, if someone wants to steal your bike, they're going to steal it. Purchasing locks, covers, etc. are made to be deterrents than anything else.

I also looked up the ABLOY locks, but their website wasn't user-friendly and I wasn't about to guess which ones would work with the bikes.

How do you like the Granit Detecto X-Plus 8077? I had posted on it a while back inquiring about it. It's that best I've found on the market from doing my research and have had my eye on it as my next purchase.

• Premium Member

@enupe - I like it so far. I've only had it for 3 weeks. Learning how to put the lock on without it going off is a bit tricky.
TIP: If you didn't get it locked and it's about to go off, just pull the lock back so the alarm is disengaged. Then try again.

Other than that, it seems to be doing its job. It is on the large and heavy side, so that's something to consider if you plan to take it around with you. I think it would fit in the pillion, I just haven't tried it.

• Premium Member

@motomeek Thanks. I knew it was a good size from my youtube research. I'll probably only carry it with me when I'm out and I know that the bike will be parked for any significant period of time. That's also what a good backpack is for ?.
b4e92dc6deabb0414fec9f737a9a1d1d.jpg

I like the idea of the lock, but having one without chaining it is what happened to me when mine was stolen - sadly, people tend to ignore alarms... :S

Safe riding!

Guest 2wheeler

I got my new Urban disk lock from Amazon today. So far, it seems fine. Defintely not super sensitive/screwed-up like the Xena I was using. The one for the rear wheel is the UR6 and the front gets the UR10. The pin on the UR10 is too big for the holes in the rear disk, but the slots to the inside of the front disk will take the UR10 which has a long enough gap to allow the lock to reach those slots. I tried the alarm, and it is seriously loud, and sensitive in the right way. The history and reviews of these locks sound pretty promising.

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-motorcycle-Bike-Alarm-Disc/dp/B00YF051ZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473565512&sr=8-1&keywords=urban+ur6

https://www.amazon.com/Security-UR10-motorcycle-Resistant-Reminder/dp/B00YEUZ796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473565538&sr=8-1&keywords=urban+ur10

Run my Kryptopnite lock thru my swing arm

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag212/Jerry_Vezzosi/14344850_10208615616080287_2785159429702438691_n_zpsuiytrjfm.jpg

and out the other side

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag212/Jerry_Vezzosi/14333118_10208615616320293_2844696395094979311_n_zpsiogintqr.jpg

This plus my motion sensor gives me piece of mind,

Chains are only as good as what it's locked too. I still think a good deterrent is a lot better than nothing at all. I lock mine through the swing arm and have a motion detector set up. It's great while someone is at home, which is 90% of the time. The rest is up to my insurance.

Guest 2wheeler

Here's my new setup.... Pewag chain, Abloy lock and Urban UR6 disk lock

If they are determined enough to get through that, they deserve my bike as well as a jail sentence!

Chain will typically go through the wheel too, this way just looked better for a photo-op  LOL

IMG_1001.jpg

Guest 2wheeler

I went with 9' which was based on running a continuous loop to secure both wheels with a little to spare. I typically store the bike under a carport in riding season with a cover, and in my work shed during the colder months. My thought was that would be long enough to secure the rear wheel to the roof support column, and seeing I have nothing to secure it to in the locked shed, I would at least make it tough to try to carry it out with both wheels being locked.

$165 delivered for the chain

Guest 2wheeler
Where did you order the chain from? Because at this site they're asking for $125 for 4' for the Pewag Chain, and you got 9' for $165. Something to me doesn't add up. Are they the same quality chain is what I'm wondering? http://tricountylocksmithservice.com/security-products/index.html

I would say they are selling the same chain, but are just asking too much for it. 
Here is the link to where I bought mine. Don't forget to check out the two videos at this website. They will convince you about the chain.

http://www.westechrigging.com/pewag-security-chain-716.html

Archived