The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Security

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

I pulled the trigger on some better security stuff for my FZ today.

I am one of the many Xena disk lock owners that think they totally suck. I removed my battery very shortly after I bought as it kept constantly going off for no reason. It does function as a disk lock, but what I am reading now is that it is not that hard to break open.

So I was doing some research and I came up with a European lock that just came out last year that has been getting great reviews - the Urban UR6 and UR10. I was unsure what would work with my bike so I emailed them and got a response in literally 1 minute where they sent me a chart based on the locks and the disk size.

Bottomline is that the UR6 would work for the rear wheel and the UR10 for the front wheel. I bought the UR6 for the moment as locking the rear wheel is far more important than the front if you had to pick between the two. Before my big trip next summer, I am going to get the UR10 as well. I'll let everyone know what I think of the UR6 after I have it for awhile.

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-motorcycle-Bike-Alarm-Disc/dp/B00YF051ZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473162735&sr=8-1&keywords=urban+ur6

I also ordered a 9' section of that Pewag super chain I have been talking about. At the cost of that chain ($165 delivered), I'm more worried about them stealing the chain - LOL

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

For my own curiosity as I have the pleasure of a garage to keep my bike in why is "locking the back wheel more important" than the front I assume you mean?

Guest 2wheeler

If you just lock the front wheel, it is much easier to lift the front wheel and roll on the rear wheel as you are either rolling the bike away or stuffing it into a vehicle. It's much heavier and harder to do that lifting a locked rear wheel.

I would love to claim great knowledge regarding that, but I got it from reading a variety of articles on preventing/minimizing motorcycle theft.

FWIW, a garage is great when you are at home, but what about when you leave your bike to go into a store/restaurant/etc? I recently watched several security cam videos on real motorcycle thefts off the street (don't do this, it gets you paranoid). It takes two thieves lifting your front wheel, rolling the bike, and stuffing it into a van about 30-60 seconds. Freaking scary in my book!

At the end of the day, there is only so much one can do to prevent your bike from being stolen. If it happens, that's what insurance is for. My thought is to do what is reasonable to minimize that from happening.

• Premium Member

OK thanks that makes a lot of sense. Insurance is all you can really do, same as if some one wants in your house they will get in. Live in a smaller town in Canada neither bike being stolen of house being broken into a big concern to me here to be honest. I guess I should consider myself lucky but I did make a conscious decision to live here and that would be one of the reasons.

If you just lock the front wheel, it is much easier to lift the front wheel and roll on the rear wheel as you are either rolling the bike away or stuffing it into a vehicle. It's much heavier and harder to do that lifting a locked rear wheel. 
I would love to claim great knowledge regarding that, but I got it from reading a variety of articles on preventing/minimizing motorcycle theft.

FWIW, a garage is great when you are at home, but what about when you leave your bike to go into a store/restaurant/etc? I recently watched several security cam videos on real motorcycle thefts off the street (don't do this, it gets you paranoid). It takes two thieves lifting your front wheel, rolling the bike, and stuffing it into a van about 30-60 seconds. Freaking scary in my book!

At the end of the day, there is only so much one can do to prevent your bike from being stolen. If it happens, that's what insurance is for. My thought is to do what is reasonable to minimize that from happening.

Co seeing the Xena wheel alarm, I find it odd you had that issue. Depending on where it is positioned on the rotor adjusts the sensitivity. But I have never had an issue with it randomly signalling.

I am one of the many Xena disk lock owners that think they totally suck. I removed my battery very shortly after I bought as it kept constantly going off for no reason. It does function as a disk lock, but what I am reading now is that it is not that hard to break open.

So I was doing some research and I came up with a European lock that just came out last year that has been getting great reviews - the Urban UR6 and UR10. I was unsure what would work with my bike so I emailed them and got a response in literally 1 minute where they sent me a chart based on the locks and the disk size.

Bottomline is that the UR6 would work for the rear wheel and the UR10 for the front wheel. I bought the UR6 for the moment as locking the rear wheel is far more important than the front if you had to pick between the two. Before my big trip next summer, I am going to get the UR10 as well. I'll let everyone know what I think of the UR6 after I have it for awhile.

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-motorcycle-Bike-Alarm-Disc/dp/B00YF051ZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473162735&sr=8-1&keywords=urban+ur6

I also ordered a 9' section of that Pewag super chain I have been talking about. At the cost of that chain ($165 delivered), I'm more worried about them stealing the chain - LOL

A moderate push on the handle bars with any stock stering lock will snap it off.

I also have to disagree with the idea that locking the rear wheel is more important. Maybe in a cruiser where more weight is situated rearward.

I'm about average strength and can lift the rear rear wheel with one arm. Let alone two where for all intents and purposes I can wheel barrow the bike around. I do this on the regular to park it inside my front door.

OK thanks that makes a lot of sense. Insurance is all you can really do, same as if some one wants in your house they will get in. Live in a smaller town in Canada neither bike being stolen of house being broken into a big concern to me here to be honest. I guess I should consider myself lucky but I did make a conscious decision to live here and that would be one of the reasons.
What 2wheeler said about two guys simply lifting the bike one end at a time is absolutely correct. When I lived in Austin and had just purchased a fairly light, Yamaha XT350 (street/trail bike) one of my good neighbors came home from work one day and caught two guys trying to lift my bike up to the tail gate of their pick-up truck. He spooked them and they dropped the bike and hauled ass. It sounds silly but I can imagine how one of those plastic turds laid on a bike seat (if they thought it was real) may be better prevention than a lock of any kind.

Beemer

What 2wheeler said about two guys simply lifting the bike one end at a time is absolutely correct. When I lived in Austin and had just purchased a fairly light, Yamaha XT350 (street/trail bike) one of my good neighbors came home from work one day and caught two guys trying to lift my bike up to the tail gate of their pick-up truck. He spooked them and they dropped the bike and hauled ass. It sounds silly but I can imagine how one of those plastic turds laid on a bike seat (if they thought it was real) may be better prevention than a lock of any kind.
With a bike as small as the FZ07 one end the other is not the concern. Two average adults can pick up the entire bike without issue. Tell a few year back my dad and I picked up my Shadow 1100 to move it. And it is just shy of twice the weight of the FZ07.

In short I'd a thief really wants it they will have it no matter what. Just make sure your insurance covers it and that you have the documentation of some sort of antitheft to lower your premiums.

This happened to me too: I believe it is solved by cleaning the mirrors in the internal lock mechanism (it's on the instructions). :)

Safe riding!

Guest 2wheeler

Co seeing the Xena wheel alarm, I find it odd you had that issue. Depending on where it is positioned on the rotor adjusts the sensitivity. But I have never had an issue with it randomly signalling.

I also have to disagree with the idea that locking the rear wheel is more important. Maybe in a cruiser where more weight is situated rearward.  
I'm about average strength and can lift the rear rear wheel with one arm. Let alone two where for all intents and purposes I can wheel barrow the bike around. I do this on the regular to park it inside my front door.
Regarding the Xena, you should read the many reviews on many sites such as Amazon, Revzilla, Motorcycle Super Store, etc.... consider yourself lucky!!! 
Regarding which wheel to lock, I say both would be best, but like with the Xena, all the articles I have read relating to motorcycle security and disk locks, say rear wheel if you are only going to do one. Some of these were written by ex-motorcycle thieves. I believe that rationale for it is too obvious for me to repeat. There is no rationale for locking the front wheel only which makes any sense especially considering there is a steering lock.

Let's hope that none of us get our bikes stolen!

Co seeing the Xena wheel alarm, I find it odd you had that issue. Depending on where it is positioned on the rotor adjusts the sensitivity. But I have never had an issue with it randomly signalling. I also have to disagree with the idea that locking the rear wheel is more important. Maybe in a cruiser where more weight is situated rearward.

Regarding the Xena, you should read the many reviews on many sites such as Amazon, Revzilla, Motorcycle Super Store, etc.... consider yourself lucky!!! 
Regarding which wheel to lock, I say both would be best, but like with the Xena, all the articles I have read relating to motorcycle security and disk locks, say rear wheel if you are only going to do one. Some of these were written by ex-motorcycle thieves. I believe that rationale for it is too obvious for me to repeat. There is no rationale for locking the front wheel only which makes any sense especially considering there is a steering lock.

Let's hope that none of us get our bikes stolen!

Could have swore when the motorcycle thief had an AMA on Reddit he suggested the front. The rear just doesn't make sense to me given how less awkward it is to lift than the front. Double so when a leg push defeats any steering lock.

Happened to my 2012 Ninja 650 as evident from the broken bits on the ground. Never trust those POS things.

Mine got stolen, had only a disc lock on the front. I guess, front or rear, it's the same... Chain it if it's on the street, cover it.

That's the best you can do.

I'm currently waiting for the insurance money, had it with full coverage, but for my next bike it is loving from parking to parking. ;)

Safe riding!

Mine got stolen, had only a disc lock on the front. I guess, front or rear, it's the same... Chain it if it's on the street, cover it. 

I'm currently waiting for the insurance money, had it with full coverage, but for my next bike it is loving from parking to parking. ;)
I am sorry to hear that. Thieves get under my skin something fierce. Hopefully your getting fair pay out. Best of luck with your new ride

I am sorry to hear that. Thieves get under my skin something fierce. Hopefully your getting fair pay out. Best of luck with your new ride
Will keep you updated! Currently waiting for the NYPD theft report (4-6 weeks waiting time...). I guess I'll get a better price as winter is coming, so more value for my money... Cross fingers and being positive!

Safe riding!

Will keep you updated! Currently waiting for the NYPD theft report (4-6 weeks waiting time...). I guess I'll get a better price as winter is coming, so more value for my money... Cross fingers and being positive!
That sucks man. To be honest, I haven't worried at all about my FZ getting stolen. When I had my Ninja and my gixxer I was convinced it was only a matter of time before they got stolen(they never did), but the FZ doesn't seem like the type of bike that thieves target. I guess in a big city like NYC things are a little different. I hope you get a quick payout so you can get back on 2 wheels before it starts getting cold. 

One of the few youtubers whose opinion I'll take. Shows demonstrations of the chain toughness and lock toughness. Anything can be cut and taken off the bike but these would make sure they worked for it! The locks are rekeyed and shows you the security pieces the new core has so no one's picking it just depends on the body of the locks hardness. I recommend his other videos on quality locks as well!

Watching it, nice search on Youtube I didn't think of, hehe

He posted it not that long ago, there's hundreds of lock pick videos on there shows you how easy it is to pick these or break in to them through other means (master locks can be hit with a hammer on both sides and pop open).

The chains are the hard part to find because that hardness level is usually used for heavy equipment snow chains and sold as a set to commercial applications. But this is the best I've found pretty much. I searched for motorcycle security without much luck so decided to look at locks.

Definitely, it's something like these I need, plus a Scorpio GPS tracker. :) my next purchases for my next FZ.

There's a link to buy that setup in the YouTube description, it's kinda pricy the lock is 225 by itself and the chain is almost that much but it's hard to find that hardness level chain for cheap.

When you buy your chain set up I'd recommend running it through the swing arm hole on the right side only place I found my chain fits easily enough besides the tires.

Seriously, average adult?  That would be 200 lbs apiece, I sure can't lift it, let alone walk too far with it.  I'm thinking 3 guys or strong girls :)

With a bike as small as the FZ07 one end the other is not the concern. Two average adults can pick up the entire bike without issue. Tell a few year back my dad and I picked up my Shadow 1100 to move it. And it is just shy of twice the weight of the FZ07. 

Guest 2wheeler

Here's a link to one of my older threads which shows a different video from that guy, plus my lock and the company I bought my new Pewag chain from.

http://fz07.org/thread/6018/super-chain-securing-fz

Here's a link to a video of them trying to open the Abloy 350 - definitely entertaining! Plus you can get as many locks as you want set to the same key from Abloy. I've used Abloy locks for years now - luv them!

Here's another video of the Pewag chain and the best of the Abloys - the PL362

• Premium Member

I recently got the Granit Detecto X-Plus 8077 Alarm Disc Lock after doing my research.

As mentioned above, if someone wants to steal your bike, they're going to steal it. Purchasing locks, covers, etc. are made to be deterrents than anything else.

I also looked up the ABLOY locks, but their website wasn't user-friendly and I wasn't about to guess which ones would work with the bikes.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Guest 2wheeler
I also looked up the ABLOY locks, but their website wasn't user-friendly and I wasn't about to guess which ones would work with the bikes.  

You are so right, the Abloy lock website sucks. I have no clue how a company these days can have a lame/user unfriendly website, but they do! The way I look for the locks on the Abloy site is to go to their online brochure - stupid! 
Having said that, Abloys serious locks are the PL350, PL358 and the PL362. They are pricey for sure, but literally a one time purchase. I have the PL350 and the smaller PL342 which works great on the doors of a storage unit. Both of my locks have seen years in the outdoors. The PL342 went 7 years outdoors in central PA which typically has bad winters - it is still in fine shape. I had both looks keyed the same.

I think for our purpose, the PL350 would be the best bang for the buck.

Here's a link showing all the Abloys - the padlocks are further down the list.

https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy/

Definitely, it's something like these I need, plus a Scorpio GPS tracker. :) my next purchases for my next FZ.
This is just a heads up and I could be wrong. I like the tracking device idea but since professional thieves are probably well aware of such devices can't they check for them and disarm/dispose of them quickly at a local chop shop before the cops or whoever can get a trace on the bike. I don't know how fast cops (or whoever) are to get a trace but if it's slow like most cop response times to a crime of theft then it just seems like a good possibility. I'm not knocking the device altogether, I'm sure they would be helpful if a "not so talented" thief didn't know about the device.  
*UPDATE: I just found this info on GPS tracking devices. It appears they aren't 100% reliable, depending on the circumstances.

http://www.technews24h.com/2013/01/the-pros-and-cons-of-gps-tracking.html

Beemer

This is just a heads up and I could be wrong. I like the tracking device idea but since professional thieves are probably well aware of such devices can't they check for them and disarm/dispose of them quickly at a local chop shop before the cops or whoever can get a trace on the bike. I don't know how fast cops (or whoever) are to get a trace but if it's slow like most cop response times to a crime of theft then it just seems like a good possibility. I'm not knocking the device altogether, I'm sure they would be helpful if a "not so talented" thief didn't know about the device.  
*UPDATE: I just found this info on GPS tracking devices. It appears they aren't 100% reliable, depending on the circumstances.

http://www.technews24h.com/2013/01/the-pros-and-cons-of-gps-tracking.html
Yep, I agree it isn't infallible, in fact, you can disconnect it, even though some systems may have an external battery that will hold up for a while...  
It just tells you whenever your bike is moved on your cell phone and gived you just that extra time - most thieves will leave the bike in another location to make sure there isn't a GPS tracker on it, just in case. I guess it's buying some peace of mind and one last opportunity to get your bike back!

Safe riding!

Archived