The MT-07 Forum

Amazon Shorty Levers ...

jbone

I considered posting this in the Amazon / Ebay deals thread, but didn't want to hijack it. Anyway, I bought these  CNC Shorty Levers from Amazon a few weeks ago and finally got them (came from China). I wasn't expecting the best, but the reviews were all good so I figured why not? Long story short, the brake lever fit and works just fine, but the clutch lever was just slightly out of spec to the point it wasn't usable. It was barely too thick where it fits into the mount. While i was able to slide it into place and secure it, the lever wouldn't release all the way after being engaged due to the resistance. I'm currently in negotiations with the seller to resolve the issue, but there is a language barrier so we shall see. Other than that, material and workmanship was better than I expected for $30 levers (other than my issue above).

Thought i'd share my experience with those considering purchasing these and to see if anyone else had issues with these.

And yes, I reused the bushings from the original levers ;)

Guest ChicagoAJ

Got mine for ~$20 from eBay, made sure I put the year, make, and model of my bike in the notes section during checkout. Everything works great and they're awesome levers for the price. My 4th set of Chinese levers, never had a problem with any of them on 3 different bikes so far.

A lot of people complain about the "slop" from these levers and compare them to the near perfect tolerances of the stock levers. But if you get some super thin nylon washers/shims you can make them just as close to the stock wiggle room. 

Got mine for ~$20 from eBay, made sure I put the year, make, and model of my bike in the notes section during checkout. Everything works great and they're awesome levers for the price. My 4th set of Chinese levers, never had a problem with any of them on 3 different bikes so far. 
A lot of people complain about the "slop" from these levers and compare them to the near perfect tolerances of the stock levers. But if you get some super thin nylon washers/shims you can make them just as close to the stock wiggle room. 
I don't have any issues with the actual quality of them and the slop doesn't really seem too noticeable on the brake lever. Glad to know that I seem to be the unlucky one. The description of the levers said FZ/MT 07, so i assumed it was the correct levers. However, I will admit that I did not realize they were coming from China.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Interesting. Is the black adapter part of the aftermarket lever the same shape/style as the stock one? I wonder if they dun-goofed and packed a lever with specs to fit a different bike.

Interesting. Is the black adapter part of the aftermarket lever the same shape/style as the stock one? I wonder if they dun-goofed and packed a lever with specs to fit a different bike.
They seem close, but there are some subtle differences. The angle in which the clutch cable enters the lever is slightly more acute than the factory. I'll let you be the judge.

Guest 2wheeler

I got mine from Mad Hornets about 800 miles ago. They are not quite as tight as my OEM levers, but they are fine overall. They do their job, and look great. The adjustment aspect works well, and is a definte plus.

$40 plus free shipping..... from China (took a while but they got here)

Guest ChicagoAJ
Why don't you just file them down a bit until they fit?
If I buy something and I have to modify it to get it to work, I either want my money back or a part that actually works. By making it work yourself and not having the seller assume responsibility you're just encouraging them to continue to run a crappy business. 

Why don't you just file them down a bit until they fit?
If I buy something and I have to modify it to get it to work, I either want my money back or a part that actually works. By making it work yourself and not having the seller assume responsibility you're just encouraging them to continue to run a crappy business. 

I understand that if you buy a really nice part, you expect it to work. Even then it doesn't always work out that way. What fits on one bike doesn't necessarily fit on another of the same model.

But wouldn't it be a better use of time to take 5 mins to file it down, then spend hours or days trying to get back $20.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I understand that if you buy a really nice part, you expect it to work. Even then it doesn't always work out that way. What fits on one bike doesn't necessarily fit on another of the same model.

But wouldn't it be a better use of time to take 5 mins to file it down, then spend hours or days trying to get back $20.
The right lever adapter would fit any FZ07, no exceptions (unless it was wrecked). By filing it down you're ruining the nice smooth surface that mates with the lever assembly on the bike. No way this part would fit any other FZ07 being that much of a size difference from the stock part. Unless @jbone bike was in a wreck or he greatly over-tightened the lever bolt, it's just not the right part for our bikes. 

The right lever adapter would fit any FZ07, no exceptions (unless it was wrecked). By filing it down you're ruining the nice smooth surface that mates with the lever assembly on the bike. No way this part would fit any other FZ07 being that much of a size difference from the stock part. Unless @jbones bike was in a wreck or he greatly over-tightened the lever bolt, it's just not the right part for our bikes. 

Yes, the right lever. Not a 20 dollar one. I'm just offering some advice instead of returning them. He can file it until it fits. He can use a fine cut file and make it as smooth or smoother the the machining marks that are on the lever already.

And I'm just telling you what I know from experience. Parts can not always fit perfectly, for every bike, every time.

I bought similar shorties off Amazon and the lever would not go back out all the way when pulled in unless I adjusted the setting on the lever to [HASH]6, then it behaved. (Shot in the dark.)

Beemer

$22.00 amazon levers. this is after around 5 weeks of use.
i park my bike outside when i am work, but it is under a cover in the shade first half the day.
2nd half the day it is parked in the warehouse in a back corner.
never in direct sun light unless i am riding it.

FB_IMG_1469461573417.jpg

FB_IMG_1469461641560.jpg

Dave

The right lever adapter would fit any FZ07, no exceptions (unless it was wrecked). By filing it down you're ruining the nice smooth surface that mates with the lever assembly on the bike. No way this part would fit any other FZ07 being that much of a size difference from the stock part. Unless @jbone bike was in a wreck or he greatly over-tightened the lever bolt, it's just not the right part for our bikes. 
Nope, not a wrecked bike and I definitely didn't over tighten the lever bolt. I'm on the same page as you are, if I buy something that is claiming to do something, it better do what it's supposed to - regardless of price. Fact of the matter is the specs are off on the shorty clutch and it doesn't work.

I'm not going to file anything down since it'll ruin the finish of the lever and of the lever mount. The Amazon sender is sending me a new one so I can be patient.

@fearedbynone , who was your seller for those? That's pretty crappy, sure look good when new. I'm sure they are the same as mine, so at least I have that to look forward to. B-|

Guest ChicagoAJ
$22.00 amazon levers. this is after around 5 weeks of use. i park my bike outside when i am work, but it is under a cover in the shade first half the day.
2nd half the day it is parked in the warehouse in a back corner.
never in direct sun light unless i am riding it.

FB_IMG_1469461573417.jpg

FB_IMG_1469461641560.jpg

Dave

I've had a set of red levers for over a year and the bike lived outside with no cover. They looked as good as they did when they were new when I sold the bike. That's ridiculous yours faded that quickly. I had another black set that never faded in about 8 months. Now I have silver on my FZ with blue adjusters. 

Archived