The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Helmet Lock

I just keep one of these things under my seat and loop it through the frame. I like the mod though. I might still do it just because it's impossible to forget at home. 
http://i.imgur.com/4Y9axbU.jpg

The main reason i did mine like this is to deter thieves.. I live in Cali.. So I reside pretty much year round.. And a$$holes get tempted when they see a $800 arai hanging off my bike.. So the only way they'd be able to get the helmet is to cut the chin strap.. And when they do that helmet is pretty much useless.. Cause that's Gona be the first thing flying off in a crash..

Plus with it being mounted like I did, passenger helmet doesn't wobble or swing when I'm riding, even at highway speeds.

I just keep one of these things under my seat and loop it through the frame. I like the mod though. I might still do it just because it's impossible to forget at home. 
http://i.imgur.com/4Y9axbU.jpg

The main reason i did mine like this is to deter thieves.. I live in Cali.. So I reside pretty much year round.. And a$$holes get tempted when they see a $800 arai hanging off my bike.. So the only way they'd be able to get the helmet is to cut the chin strap.. And when they do that helmet is pretty much useless.. Cause that's Gona be the first thing flying off in a crash..

Plus with it being mounted like I did, passenger helmet doesn't wobble or swing when I'm riding, even at highway speeds.

• 1 month later...

I just read through the manual today for the first time and noticed the silly helmet lock arrangement and made a mental note to check if there was room for a hook - only to find somebody had already solved the issue :D

What is strange is that the hook was common even back in the 1970s - my 1977 KZ650 had one under the seat, for instance, and it was not in any way the first bike with this feature - and must be much cheaper to manufacture and install (less time) than the elaborate system fitted to the MT-07.

• 2 weeks later...

Another option that I just found is putting the locating pin on the passenger seat through the d-ring of the helmet before putting the seat back on. A little tricky to line it all up but no money and great for occasionally leaving the helmet with the bike.

Archived