The MT-07 Forum

Dart Manta Windscreen Question

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

Where has anyone bought the Dart Manta windscreen online in the US?

If you go to their website, there are a bunch of US dealers, but I'm looking for one that somebody has had actual experience with - any recommendations?

Thanks!

Guest 2wheeler
Does the dart manta work with lower bars? Perhaps drag bars, or rental ultra lows?
I'm betting that it would as it attaches via those 4 allen head bolts that are on the ramp above the headlight. i can't see where the bars would make a difference. 

pineappleunderthesea

It's funny how I can go at Dicks sporting goods and buy a polycarbonate basketball net assembly for $200 on sale, yet this tiny piece of polycarbonate windscreen cost nearly just as much. Gotta pay to play I guess,

Guest ChicagoAJ
It's funny how I can go at Dicks sporting goods and buy a polycarbonate basketball net assembly for $200 on sale, yet this tiny piece of polycarbonate windscreen cost nearly just as much. Gotta pay to play I guess,
That's why I spent ~$22 on my eBay "screen." I'm perfectly happy with it for that price, haha. 

One is made in China by cheap labor and is produced in great enough numbers to take advantage of economies of scale. The other is made in GB, and in far fewer quantities for the far fewer motorcyclists who need a quality screen. If you guys like ebay screens, more power to you, I could never do it.

Guest ChicagoAJ
One is made in China by cheap labor and is produced in great enough numbers to take advantage of economies of scale. The other is made in GB, and in far fewer quantities for the far fewer motorcyclists who need a quality screen. If you guys like ebay screens, more power to you, I could never do it.
There's a clone Puig touring screen on eBay for ~$25 bucks from China. I can almost guarantee that it's made in the same factory as the actual Puig screens and just not stamped/branded. China produces nearly everything for any country that wants cheap outsourced goods that can be sold at a ridiculous mark-up.  
How much do you think a piece of molded plastic actually costs; whether it be Double Bubble, Puig, a Yamaha factory screen, etc? Likely not over $10 bucks in materials and labor. I'm not trying to argue or anything but if you say you couldn't do it, that's fine. But you probably have something on your bike that was made in China.  

There's a clone Puig touring screen on eBay for ~$25 bucks from China. I can almost guarantee that it's made in the same factory as the actual Puig screens and just not stamped/branded. China produces nearly everything for any country that wants cheap outsourced goods that can be sold at a ridiculous mark-up.  
How much do you think a piece of molded plastic actually costs; whether it be Double Bubble, Puig, a Yamaha factory screen, etc? Likely not over $10 bucks in materials and labor. I'm not trying to argue or anything but if you say you couldn't do it, that's fine. But you probably have something on your bike that was made in China.  
Got that clone, except for the metal supports, the screen itself is identical. :) (I had the Puig one before)

Safe riding!

Yamaha may have outsourced parts to China, but they are a reputable manufacturer, with good quality control, and are not blatantly infringing upon someone else's design.  I'd rather my money go to small business in the developed world that manufactures, designs, and develops their own products.  I support innovation, and new, cool stuff.  I have never and will never look to China for innovation.  I don't really care about the mark up, it's speculation, and also irrelevant.  I believe in capitalism, and I know that I'm willing to pay 140 for the dart screen.  And I'd do it again without hesitation.  And really, that's all that matters.  You're not willing to spend as much.  That's fine too.   

Does the dart manta work with lower bars? Perhaps drag bars, or rental ultra lows?
14232413_10207012049927136_374163201048889875_n.jpg?oh=40ce062422786362ed4e9bb0f9873bb9&oe=583EB89F 
14202733_10207034665972523_1236399851252507441_n.jpg?oh=604026a7eb6f5f92a638e15bf14ddc98&oe=583EC0CE

These are oem fz1 drag bars.  You can see they are very close to the screen.  I think you'll be fine with most aftermarket bars, except for probably the woodcraft or a completely straight bar that doesn't curve backward at the grips.

pineappleunderthesea

Real cost depends on how much they paid to cut the steel for the molding tool. Suppose it's $30,000, and the tool is good for 300,000 shots. So if you make 300,000 screens, then you have to sell them for 10 cents each to recoup the cost of the tool. Polycarbonate is something like $3 per pound, so let's say the screen weighs a pound, so we're up to $3.10 per screen. Let's add another buck for labor, etc, so $4.10 per screen. But this is assuming they sell 300,000 screens: if they only sell 3000 screens, then they need to charge $10 to cover the cost of the tool, plus the other costs. If they only sell 300 screens, then they need to charge $100 to cover the cost of the tool.

So if their business model is based on selling 300 screens, then yes, they probably need to charge $150 to make it worth it.

But if China can make the molding tool for only $3000, you can see the huge advantage they have over in Asia.

Guest ChicagoAJ
14232413_10207012049927136_374163201048889875_n.jpg?oh=40ce062422786362ed4e9bb0f9873bb9&oe=583EB89F 
14202733_10207034665972523_1236399851252507441_n.jpg?oh=604026a7eb6f5f92a638e15bf14ddc98&oe=583EC0CE

These are oem fz1 drag bars.  You can see they are very close to the screen.  I think you'll be fine with most aftermarket bars, except for probably the woodcraft or a completely straight bar that doesn't curve backward at the grips.
Sent you a PM about FZ1 bar fitment. Curious to see if they have positioning holes for all the controls and such. 

Archived