The MT-07 Forum

bad situation turns into interesting opportunity

martyinaustin

martyinaustin

long story short...i was riding on a very small backroad outside of Wimberly, Tx and coming around a left curve.
a large White SUV was coming the opposite direction...hogging the entire road.  i swerved right and ditched
the bike...literally.  no, the SUV didn't stop or come back.

anyway...i'm fine.  more/less.  the bike...apparently totaled.  since it's a '16 and less than 6 months old,
my insurance is giving me two options:

1.  get an exact clone of my old baby, brand new...accessories and all.
2.  get the market price for a used bike of this description (minus wreck) and take the cash.

after lots of consideration (and eliminating a possible option 3...pay bills w/ the $), here's my choice:

either a FZ-07 like my old one, or use the cash for a Triumph Street Triple.  didn't see that one coming?
i am crazy about the look of the Striple and it seems to have loads of goods for the dollar.  i've found
a few things on the net about 07 vs. Striple, but now i'm asking you guys.  let it be known i freakin
loved my FZ...so i am slightly leaning towards "the devil i know"...

thanks,
marty

Hey!

Glad to hear you are OK!

If I was to invest money on one of those 2 options, the Street Triple has my heart... Rode it, it is just amazing in the way it handles, sounds and looks... But I'm in a "saving mode", as this is only my passion and I have to put money into other places...

Maybe it's worth waiting for the new STR 2017 model, most probably presented soon in Milan (end 2016). I would... Apparently it looks very much like the Speed Triple, so if you still like the 2016, it'll be even cheaper... Hehehe

I guess the only reason I haven't gone for it is economical - let me explain: compared to European price, the Street Triple is overpriced (like $2000 more if we convert € to $) here in the US. And this is the only case within the Triumph range (the Speed Triple, Bonneville, etc. are more or less alike in pricing both in EU and in the US...), so mentally it just didn't feel right to me. But for the rest... Street Triple all the way for me (I may get one in the future if I'm back to Spain...). Meanwhile, I'm getting a new FZ soon.

Safe riding!

• Premium Member
long story short...i was riding on a very small backroad outside of Wimberly, Tx and coming around a left curve. a large White SUV was coming the opposite direction...hogging the entire road.  i swerved right and ditched
the bike...literally.  no, the SUV didn't stop or come back.

anyway...i'm fine.  more/less.  the bike...apparently totaled.  since it's a '16 and less than 6 months old,
my insurance is giving me two options:

1.  get an exact clone of my old baby, brand new...accessories and all.
2.  get the market price for a used bike of this description (minus wreck) and take the cash.

after lots of consideration (and eliminating a possible option 3...pay bills w/ the $), here's my choice:

either a FZ-07 like my old one, or use the cash for a Triumph Street Triple.  didn't see that one coming?
i am crazy about the look of the Striple and it seems to have loads of goods for the dollar.  i've found
a few things on the net about 07 vs. Striple, but now i'm asking you guys.  let it be known i freakin
loved my FZ...so i am slightly leaning towards "the devil i know"...

thanks,
marty

New striple is gaining displacement and tech. I'd wait.

martyinaustin

hey friends...loving the replies. thanks for the good wishes. yeah, believe it or not i escaped w/ a broken finger tip on my left hand (fun clutching my way home for 40 miles w/ that) and scrapes and bruises
all over. shattered my visor on my helmet...glad i had a full-facer on. screw it, let's hear it for gear!

based on further obsessive research, i'm thinking the new Striple won't come out to maybe mid 2017? that's a lot of quality riding time i'll be missing...so i think i'm going bck to the FZ...then
maybe trade it in in a year or so for a Trip if i'm still feeling it.

thanks again everyone,
marty

[attachment id=2260" thumbnail="1]If you truly love your Jenny you won't give her up .... ever!
This could be you! ^

Glad you're alright, other than the finger.

Beemer

Haha, then get a nice gear again! That's what I may do in a future, wait for the next Street and see how they solve the possible problems that may appear as it is new.

Safe riding!

pineappleunderthesea

First thing I'd do is check out insurance rates on whatever bike you're thinking of getting. Make sure you put in driver's license info: just "calling in" your accident to your company, even though you haven't agreed for them to make any repairs or cover the claim, often means that the insurance company puts the details into the national insurance database, so your rates based on a quick-quote without putting your license info can be vastly different than with it, since they can track you with your driver ID (ask me how I know...). So to get the "real" rate, put in that ID so they can screw you at the drive-thru.

If it's all good, then I'd say it depends if the Triple truly tugs at your heart. If it does, then just get a used, cheap bike until the 2017 comes out. It sounds you're already considering dumping the FZ-07, so are you going to be really happy getting another one simply to sell it at a loss one year later?

Like I said, didn't sound too beat up. I am super close to you, wouldn't mind trying to buy it off of you if you choose to go another route. Pm me if you choose the money and run, do the buy back and sell it to me.

martyinaustin

hey team...thanks for the continued replies. yeah, i have no choice...they're taking the bike from me if i "total" it. they won't "just" repair it since it's so new and took some frame damage...etc. once my
adjuster totaled up all the damage, it came to over 70% of the total value (i believe that was the algorithm) so they refuse to repair it.

still leaning towards another FZ-07....yeah maybe the Striple someday...but i was pretty dang happy on the FZ.

here's a bonus shot of one of my trashed gloves. since i work at a computer most of the time, my brain and hands are my most important objects.
i'm so lucky/glad i was wearing my gloves on that ride. i almost took 'em off!

marty
IMG_2289.jpg

hey team...thanks for the continued replies. yeah, i have no choice...they're taking the bike from me if i "total" it. they won't "just" repair it since it's so new and took some frame damage...etc. once my adjuster totaled up all the damage, it came to over 70% of the total value (i believe that was the algorithm) so they refuse to repair it.

still leaning towards another FZ-07....yeah maybe the Striple someday...but i was pretty dang happy on the FZ.

here's a bonus shot of one of my trashed gloves. since i work at a computer most of the time, my brain and hands are my most important objects.
i'm so lucky/glad i was wearing my gloves on that ride. i almost took 'em off!

marty
IMG_2289.jpg

What a shame ... you wore the glove and missed out on an awesome hand. 
[attachment id=2261" thumbnail="1]    ;) 8-)

Beemer

Archived