The MT-07 Forum

tire pressure

sonoflupe

Hello fellow FZ-07 owners,

I’m newish to this forum and it has been very helpful to find quick answers.

One question I have not been able to figure out is this. I just had the 600 miles service at a nearby Yamaha dealer and they inflated my tires to 41 psi. The guy told me that we should go by what the tire says and not what the manual says.
The manual says 33 psi for the front and 36 for the rear.
My Bridgestone tires say:
Front - Max load 520 Lb at 42PSI.
Rear - 805 Lb at 42 PSI.

What should be the correct tire pressure?

I’m under the impression that the right pressure depends on the weight. But I don’t know what is the manual assumption for the rider weight when they suggest 33 and 36. I’m a little under 150 Lb.

Well I changed my tire pressure based on another FZ rider input that I met while riding in the canyons. I'm 5'7" and 150lbs with full gear on. I have my rear shock set at 5, rear tire is at 31psi, front tire is at 32psi. I find that the suspension stays well balanced for quick turn ins and the front doesn't feel so washy. Especially with the front brake dive, the front feels a bit better planted to my line.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Global Moderator

I use the book pressures 33/36. The pressure on the tire is for if you are at the max tire weight, which is nowhere near what you are running (or if you are you definitely need a much bigger bike). I would be very suspect of anything that guy tells you.

Do not listen to the dealer regarding that. Or regarding anything for that matter.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

With the manual at 33/36 I'm running 35/38 for cooler running tires and hopefully longer wear.

This is the first bike I've owned that recommends same pressure regardless of load.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I would say that what the manufacturer states is just low end of the spectrum pressure settings just to keep everyone safe, be it they're light or heavy. The max pressures are just that so if you're somewhere in between those settings you're probably OK. It's just a question of how you want your tire to behave and wear.

Beemer

I am 210 lb and run the book 33/36 got 10,000 miles each end
they may have made 11/12000 but they were starting to tram
line a bit, but had more than the legal thread depth.
Now fitted Continental Road Attack Evo 2's.

Guest ChicagoAJ

When I first bought the bike the dealer I bought it from had the rear up to 42psi and the front at 36psi. After doing some research it appears those are the numbers the FZ-09 bikes require. I quickly bumped mine down to 34/35 rear and around 31/32 front. I do a lot of 2-up riding with my girlfriend and I've never had a problem with those pressures. We weigh about 320 combined and I'm around 185, I never adjust the pressure for 2-up riding or solo riding. 

I recently picked up my rear tire after having it swapped to a new rim and a different dealer had it up to 41psi. Maybe they know something we don't, but I highly doubt it.

Whatever pressure you run will go up by about 4-5psi simply being in the sun and another few psi when at operating temp, so pressure isn't really a huge deal. If you want more grip, lower the pressure.

After my 1000 km. service my dealer returned my bike to me with 36/41. They had also told me when I bought it that this was their preferred pressure. Thus I notice, based on reactions above, that dealers seem to be consistent in recommending higher pressure than what the manual says. I'm located in Europe and have the stock Bridgestone Battlax tires.

Sorry, but I have to say you're over thinking it. If you're under 150 lbs. ( a light person) then wouldn't it make sense that the least amount recommended will be safe to use? (33/36 lbs.) Makes sense to me and if weight were so critical they would've put a scale for people in the manual. As ChicagoAJ said, he and his girl ride together and don't have to adjust tire pressure for it. You don't adjust pressure when you load your car with people and groceries do you? 

Beemer

• Premium Member
Sorry, but I have to say you're over thinking it. If you're under 150 lbs. ( a light person) then wouldn't it make sense that the least amount recommended will be safe to use? (33/36 lbs.) Makes sense to me and if weight were so critical they would've put a scale for people in the manual. As ChicagoAJ said, he and his girl ride together and don't have to adjust tire pressure for it. You don't adjust pressure when you load your car with people and groceries do you? 

Then why do large sport touring bikes use tires like the PR4GT that are simply a stiffer tire to support all the extra weight of the larger bike plus gear and passenger?

Then why do large sport touring bikes use tires like the PR4GT that are simply a stiffer tire to support all the extra weight of the larger bike plus gear and passenger?
I see your point and it's well taken but where does it state how (exponentially) psi should increase with load. Don't get me wrong, I understand that it should to some degree when you start putting extra heavy loads on that affect the handling but who knows the equation for everyone's weight with certainty? It's up to the individual to assess it. Keeping in mind what he's asking, 33-36 psi should be fine for himself and a similar sized passenger if desired. I don't believe an exact psi is needed and that's what he's asking. sonoflupe , try those pressures and if they feel alright to you they probably are.

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
Those bikes also weigh 600+ pounds. Probably 700+ with gear, trunks, etc, WITHOUT a passenger. Our bike's wet weight is less than 400 pounds. They also use those tires because they'll last a helluva lot longer than sport tires, especially for touring. 

Thank you all for your input. I went ahead and lowered the pressure to the book's 33/36 recommendation.

Honestly, that pressure will be fine and we understand your concerns, who wants to have a blow out or wear their tires out prematurely? I know I don't. If in the future you take a ride with a heavy load just take a ride around the neighborhood at low speeds first and if it doesn't feel as stable as before the load then add a couple pounds and test it again. Do that until you're comfortable with how it's handling. That's what everyone else does. 

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...

Manufacturers psi ratings are typically rated for fuel efficiency/traction and safety. When I go on a road trip I pump them up to 33/36. This equals to good fuel economy/ traction/stability and the ability to absorb potholes etc. in all weather.

When I'm at the track, depending on the surface and temp I can be at 28 rear 31 front. Tire company and motorcycle will also effect those numbers.

So for everyday riding. No matter your weight (not exceeding (gvwr) the manufacturers recommendation is fine. I mean they do all the testing for us!

So play with the pressure, find a preference, my rule of thumb is stay within 5 psi cold tire. Remember tires are the most important piece of equipment.

Just for comparison my ST1300 is 42 front and rear but it's 700 lbs.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Archived