The MT-07 Forum

Shorai battery- recommended Battery has changed.

gregjet

I was about to buy a new Shorai LiFePO4 battery for my project GS500f and lookd at the battery for the Yammy07 first. The recommended battery is a different one from the one I originally purchased as a recommended battery. Original was equivalent 12AH new one is 19 AH. Onld one was 190CCA new one 285 CCA. So I bought the new one for the 07 and moved the old one to the project bike ( should be a better match).
The hesitancy that the old battery always has is now gone.
So a heads up if you are purchasing or have purchased a Shorai for your bike.
It's also a slightly better fit as well

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
I was about to buy a new Shorai LiFePO4 battery for my project GS500f and lookd at the battery for the Yammy07 first. The recommended battery is a different one from the one I originally purchased as a recommended battery. Original was equivalent 12AH new one is 19 AH. Onld one was 190CCA new one 285 CCA. So I bought the new one for the 07 and moved the old one to the project bike ( should be a better match). The hesitancy that the old battery always has is now gone.
So a heads up if you are purchasing or have purchased a Shorai for your bike.
It's also a slightly better fit as well

I had the same experience as rowdy here....   19Aah battery works phenonimally

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I bought mine March 2015 so got the original rec. Posted in case there are others in my boat. Newer battery is much better starting I have found and doesn't leech as fast ( I don't get to ride often).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
I just found this on Amazon for $99 and free shipping. It states that it's a Lithium Ion Sealed Battery, 300 CCA, 20 A current charge. Opinions of this, please. 

https://www.amazon.com/YTZ10S-Lithium-Sealed-Battery-MMG/dp/B01AC9PS50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473086878&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+for+Yamaha+FZ-07
That looks like a bargain, but I'm always a little apprehensive about batteries. If the reviews are solid for longevity (battery life), another concern would be dimensions.  If they look good, then it's probably a winner! 

Why can't left turners see us?

Guest ChicagoAJ

It's crazy to me that people are replacing the stock battery already. Seems to me like the bikes aren't old enough yet for a battery replacement. I remember laughing in my head when the service manager at the dealer I bought my bike from told me I absolutely had to trickle charge the battery at least once a month or I'd be getting a replacement in less than a year.

Are people just replacing them to save weight, quicker starts, or what?

• Premium Member
It's crazy to me that people are replacing the stock battery already. Seems to me like the bikes aren't old enough yet for a battery replacement. I remember laughing in my head when the service manager at the dealer I bought my bike from told me I absolutely had to trickle charge the battery at least once a month or I'd be getting a replacement in less than a year. 
My only justification (as stupid as it may seem) was to loose an extra 5 lbs.   It's also 5 lbs. high in the bike, so it is noticeable, or at least has great placebo effect.  :) 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

I have not had the best of luck buying "replacement" batteries from amazon for anything that were not name brand items. Your mileage may vary, as they say, of course... just sayin'.

I see what you're saying. Trickle charge once a month if a person didn't ride but a couple times a month, maybe. I ride my bike often so I have no problem with my clock draining the battery or anything else. It starts up quick within 1 to 2 seconds every time and the bike is so top light I don't think I would notice a few pounds difference in battery weight. I know I don't notice anything when I'm hauling a few pounds of stuff on the back but if someone does track days I can see where they would want to keep their bike as light as possible. Can't think of any other good reason for replacing the battery so soon unless theirs, for some reason, just crapped out on them or is starting to crap out.

Beemer

I have not had the best of luck buying "replacement" batteries from amazon for anything that were not name brand items. Your mileage may vary, as they say, of course... just sayin'.
Thanks! I hear ya! Even though the reviews are good for this battery there are only two reviews. Not enough for me to whip out the wallet so fast. I would have to search for more 'good' reviews on other sites before I felt comfortable buying this battery, as cheap as it is. The specs look good, though, it would be tempting.

Beemer

Bought mine in January. Road all throughout winter and here I am today. Only every charged it once and that was because I left the headlight on my accident all day.

I have a full suite of LESs that are on every time I ride. I also have a USB charger installed that has an indicator LED that burns 24/7. No issues at all with stock.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Bought mine in January. Road all throughout winter and here I am today. Only every charged it once and that was because I left the headlight on my accident all day.  
I have a full suite of LESs that are on every time I ride. I also have a USB charger installed that has an indicator LED that burns 24/7. No issues at all with stock.
I always take mine out when I put my bike away for winter storage. I leave the battery tucked away in a closet in the house and make sure I charge it once a month so I'm hoping to get at least a few seasons out of it. 

I always take mine out when I put my bike away for winter storage. I leave the battery tucked away in a closet in the house and make sure I charge it once a month so I'm hoping to get at least a few seasons out of it.
If you're not a nutter and ride all year, snow, ice, whatever, that is the best way to do it. Any extended period of no use should be treated just like this.

Archived