Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChicagoAJ

Chinese Cowl/Windscreen Review

Guest ChicagoAJ
So after my bike was out of commission for a couple weeks due to a bent rear rim, I wasn't able to ride it (obviously). But I did install this while it was on stands in my garage, since getting my bike back together and up and running again I've done a couple hundred miles with this cheap-o screen/cowl. What a difference, I can't believe how much wind this little thing actually deflects. I'm 6'1" and all the wind is directed completely off my chest and over my shoulders.

When I go into a full tuck I feel the exact moment I'm out of the wind completely, right when the chin of my helmet is 3-4 inches off the tank. This really makes highway riding enjoyable and the removed the constant pounding from wind off my chest. For $22 bucks, I'd definitely recommend it, they come in all sorts of colors and some even have FZ-07 or MT-07 printed on them too. There are multiple sellers on eBay, so if one doesn't have the color you're looking for, keep looking. You'll find what you want. 

cowl_1.jpg

Cowls.jpg

Cowl.jpg

Pros:

1) Deflects a very good amount of wind
2) Very cheap
3) Fitment was spot on and all the holes lined up well
4) Will keep bugs off the gauge cluster
5) Finishes the look of the stock headlight area
6) Made out of aluminum, so even if it gets scratched it won't rust

Cons: 

1) Some people might think it's ugly
2) Helmet buffering when doing 100mph+ if not tucked
3) Makes key removal difficult with gloves on (the edges are sharp, so be careful or it will slice leather gloves)
4) Quality isn't amazing 
  • Like 3

voltron2129
I added the same cowl last week...I really like it! Looks pretty nice and does okay with wind. It does kinda get in the way of accessing the keys with gloves on.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I added the same cowl last week...I really like it! Looks pretty nice and does okay with wind. It does kinda get in the way of taking accessing the keys with gloves on.
I really wish they made it with a rounded shape instead of a bend. I feel like that would flow with our bikes much better. Oh well, though. Definitely can't complain for the price. 
  • Like 1

voltron2129
I added the same cowl last week...I really like it! Looks pretty nice and does okay with wind. It does kinda get in the way of taking accessing the keys with gloves on.
I really wish they made it with a rounded shape instead of a bend. I feel like that would flow with our bikes much better. Oh well, though. Definitely can't complain for the price.  

I pretty much just bought this as a stand in til I can purchase the Rizoma screen. For the price, it couldn't be beat...IMO

scoobyfan
Do you have another picture of your bike? I want to see the whole bike if I like to way it looks.

For the price it seems a good deal

Guest ChicagoAJ
Do you have another picture of your bike? I want to see the whole bike if I like to way it looks.  
For the price it seems a good deal

Only other one I have: 
w9dyfo.jpg

scoobyfan
Aight I just ordered one! It should do the job for the price.

scoobyfan
Already received it! Shipping was pretty fast. I haven't had the chance to try it but the look is awesome.

Fitment was perfect, for the price paid I'm really happy with it!

3fa205a00bfaf758cc4bdd0c21176438.jpg

danfz07
Just ordered one myself. Post review when I receive it.

Dan

avanti
IF the edges are truly sharp enough to slice leather gloves, I'd recommend smoothing them and repainting before installation!!! OUCH!!!

Guest ChicagoAJ
IF the edges are truly sharp enough to slice leather gloves, I'd recommend smoothing them and repainting before installation!!! OUCH!!!
Just have to be mindful of your knuckles when turning the key. 

scoobyfan
Mine doesn't have any sharp edges.

Maybe I just got lucky :)

You never know when you order something from China haha

avanti
"Just have to be mindful of your knuckles when turning the key." Hehehe... when you get older you'll opt for a safer solution; trust me on this!