The MT-07 Forum

Slider Bolt hole is stripped!

rufusriding

Guys I need help!
I was installing a couple of Barracuda frame sliders on my bike and I noticed my left side bolt hole where the bolt screws to the engine is stripped! The slider itself comes with a large black spacer and I noticed that if I try to thigten it down with the spacer it doesn't go all the way in and just keeps turning. However, if I remove the spacer it tightens just fine, the problem is that I need the spacer to be there to give stability the the slider otherwise if I happen to let the bike fall down the screw will most probably brake. Any advice on how i can fix this?

14151820_691993770966257_570699467_o.jpg

If the threads are stripped all I would know to do is to get a tap & die set and tap the threads. Sounds like they got smushed down. I've had threads get flattened before and the bolt would go in to the end but just spin and spin and never tighten. That's been my experience with threads but I understand it will tighten without the spacer. It's a little perplexing.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

Sounds like the bolt is too short... So it threads in okay on its own, but won't engage with the spacer slipped on?

• Global Moderator

How much of the bolt is showing when the spacer is on it compared to the length of the original bolt? I agree with @bmwpowere36m3. It sure sounds like the bolt is not long enough.

Hmmm, that is one half baked looking setup from this picture:

brc-ymt7101.jpg

What happens if you put the original engine mounting bolt back in without the slider?  If that still threads in and torques down properly, I'd leave it installed and return those sliders for a refund, then buy a different brand.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

To clarify, you said it doesn't go "all the way in" so that means it is going in, just not all the way and then you say it just keeps turning at a certain point. Does it start "just turning" before the end of the bolt has reached the spacer or when the bolt end is up against the spacer? 

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
Hmmm, that is one half baked looking setup from this picture: 
brc-ymt7101.jpg

What happens if you put the original engine mounting bolt back in without the slider?  If that still threads in and torques down properly, I'd leave it installed and return those sliders for a refund, then buy a different brand.

+1 
The only sliders I would trust are the Vagabonds ones as they're the only ones I've seen that don't require the stock engine mount bolts to be removed.

Sliders are pretty much worthless if you go down at over 15mph as they'll grind down to nothing or snap off if you're going any faster. 

Found a solution!!
Ended up returning the sliders as one of the spacers was longer than the other.
Sorry for not answering but was away for a while and didn't have access to Internet -.-
Thank you for all your answers, I will probably just order the Vagabonds which seem really nice just like @chicagoaj mencioned.

You were lucky. The right hand engine bolt on my bike was stripped when I got it home. I had to helicoil it. I always check all major bolts on all my bikes for correct torque when I first get it.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived