The MT-07 Forum

Chain guide misalignment

jiggier

Hello guys,

My chain is getting more and more lousy with each ride (I have almost 10,000 km) and deciced to take a look what could be the source of it. I noticed that my chain guide is slightly bent. Due to that, chain guide is being cut by the chain. Does anyone else have this problem? Could this be the source of chain noise? Is this due to wheel not being aligned?

I will go to the dealer soon for 10k maintenance and will ask to replace the chain guide. But I am worried that there might be an underlying problem behind this.

Photos

Guest ChicagoAJ

Definitely seems like the tire could be misaligned. Those guides are very flimsy and should move to be under the chain, but the chain seems to be going right over the top of the ribbed part of the guide.

1) Do you tighten your own chain?
2) Is the chain within the proper slack spec?
3) Are the alignment marks on the swingarms lined up?
4) Is the chain damaged anywhere?
5) Is the area around and under the chain guide clean? Debris could cause it to sit wrong on the swingarm.

Hi ChicagoAJ,

1. No I do not, but it was tighened by dealer in spring and chain slack is still fine.
2. A bit on thigher end, but yes.
3. Yes, alignment marks appear same on both sides.
4. Not that I can see. Some O-rings are missing though.
5. Cleanish. Will try to nicely clean around chain guide over the weeked.

• Premium Member

Has the rear wheel been off the bike?? It's possible the left and right bearings/spacers are mixed up...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Has the rear wheel been off the bike?? It's possible the left and right bearings/spacers are mixed up...

Not by me. Is there a way to check if bearing are on the right side? By the way, do you mean for wheel or for front sprocket?

• Premium Member

I have not taken the rear wheel off yet or removed the stock chain sprockets, so I cannot answer the question, hopefully someone who has will chime in.. I learned early on the stock alignment marks are "off", but good enough for a quick reference then I use a chain alignment tool to accurately align the chain...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have not taken the rear wheel off yet or removed the stock chain sprockets, so I cannot answer the question, hopefully someone who has will chime in.. I learned early on the stock alignment marks are "off", but good enough for a quick reference then I use a chain alignment tool to accurately align the chain...
What do you use to check chain alignment? Something like this? 

• Premium Member

Yes I do...I use the motion pro one...

Guest ChicagoAJ
It's not possible for the spacers to be mixed up. The size difference between the two outer spacers is huge, so the bigger one would not even come close to fitting on the small side. And the cush drive/sprocket carrier only fits on the one side, so that can't be an issue either. The wheel bearings are also different on each side of the tire and the sprocket carrier (there's 3 bearings on the whole rear wheel apparatus, I believe).  
If you know it's missing some o-rings, it's time for a chain replacement most likely (and sprockets too). I guess these chains either last ~5-7k miles or super high mileage... 

I would make sure the chain guide is in the correct spot and it's not just simply shifted out of place. Then check to make sure the wheel is in alignment with one of the tools on the page you linked. If both things check out, might just need a new chain guide and chain (especially if you're missing o-rings).

Thanks. Will arrange chain, sprockets and chain guide/slider change ASAP. Ordered the chain alignment tool to cross check after slack adjustment.
Is there any benefit of going stock vs. after market sprocket? For chain I am thinking to stay with DID, but with X-rings.  

Guest ChicagoAJ
Thanks. Will arrange chain, sprockets and chain guide/slider change ASAP. Ordered the chain alignment tool to cross check after slack adjustment. Is there any benefit of going stock vs. after market sprocket? For chain I am thinking to stay with DID, but with X-rings.  

Hit up @bellissimoto for new sprockets/chain. He can tell you all about that stuff. You can even get lighter sprockets and a smaller chain and free up some horsepower by dropping some rotational weight. 

Archived