The MT-07 Forum

Ducati Monster 1200 R

martyinaustin

martyinaustin

we had a Ducati demo day here in Austin...went to try the Monster 821 to see 
what a few more thousand gets you in a naked bike.  their demo 821 was
dropped the day before so they let me try their top of the line freakin 1200 R.

holy frick.  i am in love like a sailor to a siren.  it was the most fun i've ever
had riding a bike in my life.  0-100 in about 3 seconds and 3 gears...not
fair.  it wasn't my fault.  it's just too easy.

i had to ride my FZ-07 the next day 'cause i felt like i just cheated on 
my wife...and it was fun.  but dang folks...if most of my riding wasn't
daily commutes, i'd really be pondering this Monster.

martyIMG_2107.jpg

• Premium Member

Sounds like fun, but man I do not need that kind of juice at my disposal.
The Ducati is nice looking but hands down I still prefer the FZ styling.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

I'd take that Ducati in a heart beat. It's beauty, but... cost, insurance, maintenance, ability to go beyond my ability...
Yea... I could get in all kinds of trouble in all kinds of ways. Sounds like just the bike for me! ;)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator

A Ducati that is not red? Are you sure that is really a Ducati? :)

It is interesting to see a bike with a more ridiculous fender than the FZ-07. I know what my first mod would be, otherwise it is a fantastic looking bike

if it doesn't clatter and fins for air/oil cooled it's not a ducati in my book. Or at least do a far better job as disguising it's water-cooled nature.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Bikes are usually faster when the front tire is on the ground. I'm having a hard time imagining the 0-60 time. I have to say though, this bike would more than likely transform me back into a stupid 17 year old.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Oh crap... my local dealer has a 2015 for $10,999
Take me out of it... I mean talk me into it.... no, I mean... oh hell, I don't know what I mean.
But that would be a sweat addition (not replacement) in my bike hole.
;)

• Global Moderator
Oh crap... my local dealer has a 2015 for $10,999 Take me out of it... I mean talk me into it.... no, I mean... oh hell, I don't know what I mean.
;)

Wow, that is $8,000 below MSRP, isn't it?  Sounds like too good a deal to pass up :)

• Premium Member
Oh crap... my local dealer has a 2015 for $10,999 Take me out of it... I mean talk me into it.... no, I mean... oh hell, I don't know what I mean.
;)

Wow, that is $8,000 below MSRP, isn't it?  Sounds like too good a deal to pass up :)
I think 2015 MSRP for this one is $14,220, but it is a Red Monster 1200 with ABS, ride modes, brembos... all the other goodies. I think I might have to buy it. :)

We were actually at Redline today looking at all the Exotics: Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph, etc. That monster looks really nice. Didn't like the ride triangle for that bike. Too cramped and the passengers pegs were oddly placed. I think I'll stick with my Hypermotard 821.

I've been wanting a Ducati for years. Something special about those sexy Italian :)

I had the opportunity to take one for a spin last week with a friend of mine, just to dust them out :)

Talking of a beast! I was amazed how actually smooth the bike ride. A simple little fly screen was enough to make it super smooth at 75-80MPH. I could have ride all day long!

bfab52452e3b5340dec817ad7226d474.jpg

I wanted this. But since I was new to rIding decided to use the fz07 for couple years. 
Then ride the monster or diavel.
Every day I convince myself not to go buy a Diavel.  I'm so in love with that bike.  Plus, 0% over 60 months available until Sep 30.

• Premium Member

A number of weeks ago I actually took 3 Ducati Bikes out that Fri and Sat here in NJ at a Demo day in Metuchen. I first took out the Panigal 959, hated it!! I took the XDiavel out and I LOVED IT!!! If I had the money in my pocket I would have purchased it from somewhere that day. That's gonna be my new bike. Lastly I took out the Monster 1200. I actually was not a fan of it at all. I actually didn't like anything about the ride. I especially didn't like the design of bike, specifically how that pipe is right up next to your thigh. Yes it has a cover over it but it still gets way too hot to have been placed where it is, which for me was one of the biggest detractors from the bike.

Nice looking bike for sure. Would need a tail tidy and exhaust hands down. You get a lot more bike but it also cost a lot more. I still think you can't beat the FZ 07 for what you get for the price. That's why its so popular. 

Guest ChicagoAJ
Bikes are usually faster when the front tire is on the ground. I'm having a hard time imagining the 0-60 time. I have to say though, this bike would more than likely transform me back into a stupid 17 year old.
0-60 in 2.6 seconds with an expert rider, definitely doesn't do 0-100 in 3 seconds, but it's got a lot more brute force than our bike, that's for sure. It's quarter mile time is mid 10's though compared to our low 12. I test rode this one a while back and it's still for sale. Price is still dropping, I'd reckon it goes under 8k over winter. Extended warranty until 2019, ABS, sexy red... All for $8995. Who wants it? 

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcd/5740536797.html

0-60 in 2.6 seconds with an expert rider, definitely doesn't do 0-100 in 3 seconds, but it's got a lot more brute force than our bike, that's for sure. It's quarter mile time is mid 10's though compared to our low 12. I test rode this one a while back and it's still for sale. Price is still dropping, I'd reckon it goes under 8k over winter. Extended warranty until 2019, ABS, sexy red... All for $8995. Who wants it? 

The question should be when are you snagging it?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Guest ChicagoAJ

The question should be when are you snagging it?
I've been there more than once to check it out, to be honest. But it gets sh*tty gas mileage, requires valve checks more frequently, and parts are crazy expensive. I'd rather get a cheap(er) liter or near liter bike next. For now I'm happy with my 07, but that could easily change in the next year or two. 

0-60 in 2.6 seconds with an expert rider, definitely doesn't do 0-100 in 3 seconds,

Umm 100KPH == 60MPH

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Here's a Demo bike. Love how the sale is on for the next 6 months!
http://www.wherethepoweris.com/2015-ducati-monster-1200s-inventory.htm?id=872885&in-stock=1

Somebody who works at USPTO has a white one parked out front. Wanted so much to touch...

http://www.wherethepoweris.com/2016-Ducati-Monster-1200-S--inventory.htm?id=1218756&in-stock=1&vin=ZDM1RBSW3GB019605&unitType=1787&unitBrand=46

~8K for a 2014 is some decent depreciation.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

martyinaustin

yeah, i may have over-stated it...perhaps it wasn't 3 seconds but it sure as hell felt like it was.  i have the go pro footage to prove i'm not far from wrong!

Jeebus, 2.6! How do the pros keep their arm bones in their sockets? That's movin'! The bike will be the bully of the block somewhere, some day.

Beemer

Archived