The MT-07 Forum

Rim direction

c0al67

Shop mounted the front wheel backwards. Before i go back, is it a big deal if the rim is flipped the "wrong" direction? not sure it would matter on the front so long as the tread is rotating the correct direction

booboobusfz07

As long as your tire is going the right way I don't see it being an issue. I'm no racer or bike mechanic take it with some salt.

I'm just gonna run it back to be safe, since idk if the rotors will line up properly and i'm worried the rim is probably designed to go one direction

I don't know if it applies to bike wheels but do know
that if you mount the external spoked type flywheels
on old stationary engines the wrong way they are
likely to fail. the spokes are supposed to lean into the
torque so they are in compression but if this was so on
a bike the spokes would point opposite ways fount rear.

I had the front off mine a few days back and think
the spacers are the same did not measure them but
did not notice a difference

Do the wheel spacers insert exactly the same into the wheels? Frequently, that answer is no. Even if you get the spacers in the right place, and the brake pads in a 4 piston caliper can compensate, the wheel will not be centered

You will also have to re-bed in your brake pads as they are now on different rotors

If Yamaha went to the trouble of putting arrows on the wheel to determine rotation direction, why risk your potential safety with someone else's careless mistake. That the shop paid no attention makes it careless imo.

I have to ask if it made no difference then why would the smart folks at Yamaha put a direction indicator on it? To look silly?

Beemer

• Global Moderator

There are direction indicators pn the tyres... i didnt see any on the wheel itself
where are they?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

There are direction indicators pn the tyres... i didnt see any on the wheel itself where are they?
haven't looked myself, but the shop manual specifies rotation direction - there's a letter and and arrow somewhere on the wheel. My Aprilia's arrow is on the hub. 

• Global Moderator
There are direction indicators pn the tyres... i didnt see any on the wheel itself where are they?
haven't looked myself, but the shop manual specifies rotation direction - there's a letter and and arrow somewhere on the wheel. My Aprilia's arrow is on the hub. 
Well.... hell hopefully the shop that did my tyre... did it correctly...
im headed out to see pgeldz

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Both wheels have a slightly different look from side to side. They should match.

I've mounted a tire or 2 backwards in the over 4 decades of doing them for myself and friends, inspite of always trying to get it right. Doh! Really sucks doing over. At least the wheel has never been installed before finding the brain dead mistake.

The theory with tyre direction is that the belts tighten under one direction and loosen under the opposite direction making the carcass unstable. Not sure that still applies with radial tyres but I think it does ( never seen anything to the contrary).
In the small classes we often would use front tyres on the back and reverse the direction of rotation ( the front main force at the tread is backwards from braking and the rear forwards from power) as it makes it easier to get quality tyres in the sizes we use.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Reason wheel is directional is bearings. Left and right bearing are not same distance from center of the wheel.
I figured there was a difference somewhere in there so i took it back and had it changed just to be safe, didn't even try to mount it up. 

"Left and right bearing are not same distance from center of the wheel."
Now there is a good point.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

If that's the case, that would sure do it. The wheel would mount up, but the calipers wouldn't mate to the rotors

It is small difference so wheel can actually work either way. When I change wheel I push pads in every time. When they pumped they will align with rotor.
If you would install bearings in wrong order wheel would be centered backwards :)

It is Italian bike, if it goes in same spot every time in right direction it is miracle :)
Yeah, yeah, lol. Pass the pasta please.  
It has its quirks, but it's not a Ducwaddy or goose. At 14 years old, it's been far more reliable than any of my 3 BMWs (my K11 was always coughing up something). Good thing too cause some parts have become unobtanium. 

I had my share of Italy :)
Here is one nobody here probably seen or heard for.

bianchi.jpg

Here is latest Italian, had to combine two to get one :)

project3.jpg

• Premium Member
I had my share of Italy :) Here is one nobody here probably seen or heard for.

bianchi.jpg

Wow that looks like a real collectors treasure! Bianchi still makes some fine bicycles.  Our team might be getting these next year.

Why can't left turners see us?

I had my share of Italy :) Here is one nobody here probably seen or heard for.

bianchi.jpg

Here is latest Italian, had to combine two to get one :)

project3.jpg
Hmm, started out life as a 2002-ish Mille? 
The gloves my lab supplies are the color of that Bianchi bicycle, lol. Not the prettiest of colors, but classic Bianchi for sure.

• Premium Member
The gloves my lab supplies are the color of that Bianchi bicycle, lol. Not the prettiest of colors, but classic Bianchi for sure.
Not my favorite color either, but if it's a Bianchi bicycle, it needs to be that color. ;) 

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived