The MT-07 Forum

Advice on looking for saddle bags

hartacus

Hello all, I was about to order the Yamaha 1RCF84H0V000 but realized there are no locks. I could use luggage locks but there was nothing that locked the bags to the bike. I do a lot of riding in NYC and was hoping someone could make a suggestion of a secure saddlebag hard or soft.  I would also like them to be somewhat narrow. 

Guest 2wheeler

Couple of thoughts...

1. If you are going to go for the Yamaha bags, you might consider getting the bags from their manufacturer (SW-motech) which is a bunch cheaper.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-blaze-saddlebag-system-yamaha-fz-07-2014-2016

2. NYC is a cesspool of thieves, and it might do you better to take your luggage with you, and the Yamaha bags come off the bike very easy, and are fairly carryable.

3. You can always use zipties to slow the thieves down with the soft bags

4. As our bike is fairly desirable as far as the thieves are concerned, arguably hard bags would slow them down trying to fit the bike into a van or the like

5. Although hardbags take away from the cool look of the FZ, you can't knock them as they have a much higher degree of security than soft bags - reality is that a sharp knife is in a soft bag in seconds.

6. Don't ride your bike in NYC :)

• Premium Member

If you are going with soft bags I would highly recommend looking at the ShadE-48.  If youve installed a tail tidy make sure the mounting racks are still compatible as some require mounting to the stock tail as well.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-luggage/shad-e48-review/

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived