The MT-07 Forum

Tank customization options?

mattk

i have been eyeing picking up and FZ=-7 sometime next year. I have fallen in love however with the fuel tank from the XSR700 wich has no word on coming to the states. I also don't much like the fake intake panel on the FZ. 

I was wondering what the FZ looks when the air scoop panel is separated from tank side cover but have been unable to find any pictures. I see the XSR just adds a couple trim pieces on the side but the side cover for the tank is also a different design. I overall like the tank cover of the XSR much better and would like to change to that tank over but wanted to see what the normal FZ could look like if the scoop was removed and needed trim pieces either fabricated or taken from the XSR design to make it work.

here is the scoop I mean

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2015-yamaha-fz-07-fz07fr/o/m156987#sch913289
5: SCOOP, AIR 13289083 1WS-2137W-00-00

Would like to see about sourcing XSR parts if anyone knows where they can be had.

• Premium Member

The tank panels require the scoops to mount properly. I could see the panels being floppy without the scoops and its all rather hideous under there. It doesnt take much to disassemble this. Tutorials are here on the forum. Easy stuff.

A fab job of some kind to compensate for the scoops removal would be an interesting and unique project.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

if it would be too much trouble I would look at just changing the tank covers and the small covers for the transformer rectifier. Wonder how much it would cost for those bits. I'll look at the catalog. can you order those parts to the states?

Found all the parts in the catalog. No prices or way to order that I found though.

Found the side covers for about 200 each. Looks like the whole project would run 550-700 bucks which is probably more that its worth to me if I could do something that looked good with the FZ covers.  Would like to see it with the air scoops removed so I could get an idea of what needed to be covered or reshaped to make it look good

its not too many pieces but they do add up to a fair bit. If anyone is willing I would love to see a pic of the air scoop removed but the side cover installed.

Of course none of this would be an issue if Yamaha would hurry up and release the XSR700 in the states.

547 Euro with free shipping for the 3 tank cover pieces and 2 air scoops. 615 $ plus if there is any random bits you need to attach them

to come clean on this what I really want to do is style the bike after a vintage 60's race bike. Weather it be waiting for a USA XSR700 release or doing something with the FZ-07 I want to see if I can get a vintage race fairing either full or half on the bike and have it look close to a vintage racer while keeping the naked look exposing the velocity stack intake and all those good naked bits and look like the bike I drew with a crayon so many years ago. Airteh streamlining makes these types of fairings if I can adapt one to fit while allowing proper handlebar movement.
suzuki_svretro.jpg

this is sort of the idea I am going for but as high quality as I can do it since this could be the retro race bike I have been dreaming of for o long. So happy this bike came along with the engine, feel, and looks to make the dream a reality without having to build up an old rusty CB550

• Premium Member

You know, a member did their Fz up like this race bike and it looked pretty sharp.

Right, here it is....
http://fz07.org/thread/4650/fz-07ss-racebike-build     

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

You know, a member did their Fz up like this race bike and it looked pretty sharp.  
 Right, here it is....
http://fz07.org/thread/4650/fz-07ss-racebike-build     

Wow thanks. Man that is some aggressive clip on placement on that bike. Even further bent over than an R6. If I want to have any hope riding on the street I will have to make sure I can mount the controls higher up while still fitting within the cutouts on the fairing.  The idea of course it to use this as an every day bike but the ore I think the more I imagine that it will be 3/4 racer by he time I have dropped a little more cash that I will be willing to admit to some people in my life. I'm going to do a little photoshopping to see how it comes out but a half fairing like can be gotten on the new triumph thruxton is also an option

I got some fairing pictures and in the process of doing some photoshop ideas. The first I came up with mostly because it was a little easier is a 1/4 fairing on an XSR700. I am I think more interested in a 3/4 fairing just enough to expose the velocity stack intake to the eye.

yamaha_xsr700_1half.jpg

I got some fairing pictures and in the process of doing some photoshop ideas. The first I came up with mostly because it was a little easier is a 1/4 fairing on an XSR700. I am I think more interested in a 3/4 fairing just enough to expose the velocity stack intake to the eye. 

yamaha_xsr700_1half.jpg

That's the style I'm going after. Probably gonna do it this winter or coming spring, half fairing pair with the AP tail and tank cover

I like the single offset 4-5" light idea in the airtech fairing. are there non oem tank covers on the market?

Not yet, but soon. Supposedly the guy that's making the FZ07R kit is working on a FZ07RS kit, which is just the tail and tank cover.

I like the single offset 4-5" light idea in the airtech fairing. are there non oem tank covers on the market?
Not yet, but soon. Supposedly the guy that's making the FZ07R kit is working on a FZ07RS kit, which is just the tail and tank cover.

I just want the full fairing kit but with a headlight stay. =(

fz_07_idea_1.jpg

Here is an Idea for a fz-07 classic fairing look. I would probably delete the black air scoop side panel as well and color match the body and fairing to silver

• 10 months later...

Archived