The MT-07 Forum

170/60 Rear Tire Initial Impressions

chuckles

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, sunblock said:

Excuse my ignorance, but does changing the tire dimensions affect the odometer's speed measurement?

Only if the tire's overall circumference changes.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on your comment on the circumference I looked it up and it appears there's only 1km/h difference (0.9%).
I think I can live with that.

180x55xR17-170x60xR17.png

180x55xR17-170x60xR17.png

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Only if the tires overall circumference changes.

I checked it out and the tire circumference of the 170/60 is slightly larger, but by less than 1%--.95% to be exact.  So when the speedo says your doing 100 km/hr it is actually about 101 km/hr.  This means the odometer would be off by the same percentage: if the odometer reads 10,000 km the bike has actually travelled about 10,095 km.  All this is assuming that the speedometer and and odometer are accurate to start with.  Hope this helps.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 minutes ago, sunblock said:

Based on your comment on the circumference I looked it up and it appears there's only 1km/h difference (0.9%).
I think I can live with that.

Looks like we were posting at the same time LOL.

7 hours ago, sunblock said:

Excuse my ignorance, but does changing the tire dimensions affect the odometer's speed measurement?

Only if an only when the following occurs

The rotational circumvent is capitulating through inertia dysphoria  while lateral vertical motion maintains composite cardiac arrhythmia, then the total number of ringworms equaling less then or greater than the overall adherence to Merkals law which states

the principle that equal suprathreshold (above-threshold) differences in sensation correlate with equal differences in stimuli intensity. [Julius Merkel (1834–1900), German psychologist]

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 hours ago, godoy.rafa said:

So, no one else tried 170 tire?

I'm going to give it a try when I replace my tires this spring.  I'll post my impressions then.

This topic interested me when I was researching the MT-07, as I've always preferred a bit more agility over stability, especially since there's pretty much nowhere I can ride over 110km/h without losing my license (Australia sucksssssss for this.... police everywhere and stupidly low speed limits).

However, this bike is pretty damn agile as it is. I have a mates 2002 SV650 naked in the garage at the moment (it actually used to be mine) and the MT-07 is every bit as quick to turn. A year ago I also owned a 2004 SV650S and that thing didn't steer that quick at all.

I might still consider the 170 when the time comes, but it won't be on the basis that I feel the MT-07 steers too slow. Also, I'd hate to change the characteristics of the bike which I really love. Cheap suspension aside, the overall poise and balance of the MT-07 is extremely confidence inspiring and one of the best bikes I've ridden yet.

59 minutes ago, kylerhsm said:

This topic interested me when I was researching the MT-07, as I've always preferred a bit more agility over stability, especially since there's pretty much nowhere I can ride over 110km/h without losing my license (Australia sucksssssss for this.... police everywhere and stupidly low speed limits).

However, this bike is pretty damn agile as it is. I have a mates 2002 SV650 naked in the garage at the moment (it actually used to be mine) and the MT-07 is every bit as quick to turn. A year ago I also owned a 2004 SV650S and that thing didn't steer that quick at all.

I might still consider the 170 when the time comes, but it won't be on the basis that I feel the MT-07 steers too slow. Also, I'd hate to change the characteristics of the bike which I really love. Cheap suspension aside, the overall poise and balance of the MT-07 is extremely confidence inspiring and one of the best bikes I've ridden yet.

A lighter rear tire would be a compliment to the bad stock suspension to be honest.

If there will be any steering difference between and 170 and a 180 it will be extremely slight. That is, if both tires were of equal profile.  There's nothing at all wrong with going to a 170,  but you'll actually be flattening the 170 out in order to stretch on to our rim, which would be counterproductive. Instead, just buy a tire with a sharper profile and you'll have a quicker tip in. 

Also, a tire being narrower doesn't always mean it will be lighter. I currently have a 170 and a 180 Shinko Raven 009 rear tire here. The 180 is 1lb lighter than the 170. Why? I have no clue. But I'm going to assume that Shinko has either purposefully made the 180 lighter due to that size being a popular performance bike size. 

Archived