The MT-07 Forum

170/60 Rear Tire Initial Impressions

chuckles

Thanks for all of the input guys. I will definitely try the higher pressures and now I need to look into raising the rear too. The FZ has always been a little short for me (6'1") and it would be nice to get more weight on the front end.

I have the JRi two-way rear shock from @pattonme and it is one of the best improvements I've made to the fz 07. It's slightly longer than the stock setup so the rear was a bit taller after install, and I still have more height adjustment left on it. Highly recommended!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S21 bridges I found a little sketchy in the wet. Had them on a DRZ400sm. Not much water dispersion. Other than that they were pretty good on the smaller bike.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I never understood the argument that 180 is too much tire for a bike with the FZ07's power level. I will bet you 1 million dollars that I can highside the bike with the stickiest 180 tire you can find. I will need half of that to cover medical expenses. :P

Here's Ari losing the rear slick on a notoriously underpowered cbr300r. 

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BUeYzxaNxI]

• Premium Member
phicurious86
S21 bridges I found a little sketchy in the wet. Had them on a DRZ400sm. Not much water dispersion. Other than that they were pretty good on the smaller bike.
They're definitely advertised as a dry grip tire. I rode them on some twisty stuff today with some light rainfall and they were solid. Felt confident leaned over and under braking.  

Topazsparrow: Read the start of the thread.
Phicurious. I may be a bit biased by North Queensland rainfall ( read 80m visibility rainfall).

topazsparrow
Topazsparrow: Read the start of the thread. Phicurious. I may be a bit biased by North Queensland rainfall ( read 80m visibility rainfall).

I did. I skimmed the entire thread and there's nobody that's wrote about their experience riding on the tire. Only what it *would* be like and OP who said he *would* be installing the tire. 

You are correct Topazsparrow I misunderstood on of the posts ( I came to this thread late and I tend to skim). I can confirm this change on a BMW F800R which came with a 180/55 and I went 170/60. That bike is much heavier and has 90HP ( stock). The change was extremely positive on that bike in EVERY way. Better turn, more stable at lean, more compliant feel. It isn't this bike of course and tyres can be funny. On the BM I would never have gone to a 160 though. Too heavy mainly.
It;s not just about contact patch either ( although for me that is the main thing) a heavier tyre requires more power just to spin it up ( and more braking power to stop it spinning). And that weight is in the worst place it can be ( ie rotational mass).
For going in a straight line the gyroscopic effect of heavier tyres helps the bike stay upright, but if you want the bike to turn, lighter is better. That's a big set of gyroscopes.

• Premium Member

Keep in mind the brand and construction of tire make a difference in weight too. When I changed from Dunlop Q3's to Pirelli SuperCorsa SP's in the same size, the Pirelli's were noticeably lighter. Not sure if that would offset the weight of going from a lightweight 180/55 to a heavy 170/60, but it's worth noting.

- Paulie

Sorry guys, still have not gotten around to mounting the 170. I lost the transmission in my truck so I have been bike only while waiting for parts. Once the truck is out of my garage I can go back to motorcycle related things.

So after doing a little bit of research, I decided to follow up and go with the 170-60 profile tire, in a pilot road 4 GT. I chose the GT because I'm a bit of a larger fellow @ 6'2" 250lbs. I'm still in the process of break in, but my initial impression of the switch is amazing!!! switching to the taller tire gave me a little bit more pull from the feel of the "Butt Dyno" and I like being just a little taller. Initial turn in seems to be a bit better, but I cannot say for sure as the tire is still a bit greasy, but man dose this thing want to lean now!!! I think with a re-worked front fork this thing will just rock!!

I'll keep updating here as I get out a bit more on the new tire. I've only had it on for about 24hrs...

IMG_1035_zpsuzmbn3yi.jpg

IMG_1036_zpsyludem71.jpg

Thanks for the update Crafty!

Would it be much trouble to upload a shot from behind, further back? I'm curious to see if the bike looks any less "meaty" than before.

Wait til you ride it in the wet... Soo much fun.
you mean that literally or sarcastically?  I was in the rain yesterday and it was fine, I definitely like this tire better than the Road3.

Guest ChicagoAJ
No not a problem, I rode in to work today so I'll grab a shot in a little bit
Wait, you're still in the break in period but you swapped tires? Did you get a nail in your other one or something?

Wait, you're still in the break in period but you swapped tires? Did you get a nail in your other one or something?
I am  guessing he meant the break in for the tire, not the bike.  

Would it be much trouble to upload a shot from behind, further back? I'm curious to see if the bike looks any less "meaty" than before.
IMG_1043_zps55blkr7m.jpg 
IMG_1042_zpsjitfwkpz.jpg

IMG_1041_zpsftjdzlmh.jpg

Breaking in (scrubbing) the tire sorry! I wish i had that low of KMs on the bike still!!!

Guest ChicagoAJ
IMG_1043_zps55blkr7m.jpg 
IMG_1042_zpsjitfwkpz.jpg

IMG_1041_zpsftjdzlmh.jpg

I like the DIY fender sort-of-eliminator. 

Well, I gotta say, if you went from a worn 180 to a new one, your impressions would be similar - turn-in is better, overall feel is better - basically, a new tire is always better than a worn one.

The old tire wears out slowly, so you don't really notice that it's going south until the swap to new and then, wow, what a difference.

Really doubt that 170 tire allows a quicker acceleration - especially if it's actually bigger in diameter. As for weight, well, is a new 170 lighter than a worn 180? - need to weigh 'em to know, but I'll bet not.

That said, I still think the 180 is way overkill for this 400 lb, 65 hp bike, so it's probably a good swap.

Well, I gotta say, if you went from a worn 180 to a new one, your impressions would be similar - turn-in is better, overall feel is better - basically, a new tire is always better than a worn one.  
The old tire wears out slowly, so you don't really notice that it's going south until the swap to new and then, wow, what a difference.

Really doubt that 170 tire allows a quicker acceleration - especially if it's actually bigger in diameter. As for weight, well, is a new 170 lighter than a worn 180? - need to weigh 'em to know, but I'll bet not.

That said, I still think the 180 is way overkill for this 400 lb, 65 hp bike, so it's probably a good swap.
Very valid point, that being said I have a local friend that wants to ride mine and try it so we will be swapping bikes, and that will be the true test as his original tire only has 2000km on it. We'll be going out this sunday as it seems to be the only good  day coming up soon that we both have off. but I do not remember the bike being this fun with the 180/55 on it, and i didn't flatten the tire out. 
As said before I will keep everyone posted on this, and realistically I hope nobody takes this too seriously, this is just my opinion, I have a good history with different bikes (KLR650 (still have), BMW K1300R, Zx10R, then the FZ07) but by no means regard myself as a guru of anything.  

Sunday will be the real test of this tire swap

Very valid point, that being said I have a local friend that wants to ride mine and try it so we will be swapping bikes, and that will be the true test as his original tire only has 2000km on it. We'll be going out this sunday as it seems to be the only good  day coming up soon that we both have off. but I do not remember the bike being this fun with the 180/55 on it, and i didn't flatten the tire out. 
As said before I will keep everyone posted on this, and realistically I hope nobody takes this too seriously, this is just my opinion, I have a good history with different bikes (KLR650 (still have), BMW K1300R, Zx10R, then the FZ07) but by no means regard myself as a guru of anything.  

Sunday will be the real test of this tire swap
That'll be a pretty interesting test and as close as practical to having a true side-by-side. 
Back in the old days of bias ply/tubes/19" wheels/and tire widths measured in inches, a front tire change, after slowly wearing 10k miles would result in almost terrifying changes to handling. Of course, it was the old tire that was bad, just took a bit of miles to get rid of bad habits to compensate for that old one.

So as promised, after riding both mine and another FZ07, the differences are pretty decent actually. It dose feel like a bit more pickup, and i feel more able to get down faster on the 170/60 tire than the 180/55 through the corner. the other thing i'm noticing is the transition between corners, after leaning hard left it is so much easier to come back over to the right than the OEM size.
On another note, the PR4 vs the PR3, So much better in the rain! Love this tire!!!

Archived