The MT-07 Forum

Need Chain Tension Help

robinhood

Hello guy normally i try to do all DIY level maintenance myself on my cars. The fz07 is my first motorcycle and i am working on my 600 mile maintenance, but i hit a wall. While tightening my chain i noticed that the silver plate near the two 12 mm lock nuts on the chain tensioner is wiggling. Does any body know why this plate might be wiggling? I have tried tightening the 12mm lock nut but all this does is my my chain tighter well beyond the factory specs.

Here is a video to my problem.
[video src=https://youtu.be/hWi91RnSARM]

bmwpowere36m3

You have to push the wheel forward before tightening the axle.... or use the screwdriver/wrench method (what I do):

Those adjusters just slide into the ends of the swinger and they are not exactly precision bits so when there's no tension on them (the axle pulling them inward) they will move a bit.

Best to adjust the chain looser than needed and then bring it back with the adjusters - tricks like in that vid will help.

Don't get too carried away with chain adjustment/maintenance - keep it lubed, you really shouldn't need to touch it for a lot of miles.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Thanks for the help guys, ill give that a try after work.
If you don't push the wheel forward before tightening the axle nut then that's why they're wiggling. If the tire is straight, chain is in spec, and the axle nut has been tightened you can always just loosen the lock nut on the adjuster, then snug up the other nut to hold the plate in place so it doesn't wiggle. Then tighten the lock nut up and you're good to go.  
I think the manual even says to tighten the axle nut first, then snug up the nut and lock nut so the plates aren't loose. Once the axle is torqued to spec, those two nuts back there won't do anything so I don't think it would hurt anything to just snug them up in your case (assuming the chain is in spec and the wheel is straight). 

Archived