The MT-07 Forum

Winterize/store for-07

shuarez

First winter here, but I guess it is ideal to get a back stand for the back (if you get the front one, even better, as there will be no flat spots on the tyres due to the weight) and a battery tender.

Am I missing anything?

Safe riding!

• Premium Member

I live in Michigan...

Best thing to do is store it inside a garage
Pull the battery and put it on a " battery tender"
Stuff a rag in the airbox lid and exhaust
I try to not have much more than the " reserve" amount in gas left in my tank
Cover it with blankets to keep dust off

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The only thing I did was add seafoam to a full tank of fuel and kept it in the garage. I had zero problems when spring came around.

• Premium Member
I live in Michigan... 

I agree except the last part. I keep the tank full so there is as little exposed metal as possible, because winter humidity and exposed metal = rust.  So my ritual in the winter is... At the end of each ride, top of the tank close to home, get home and put appropriate amount of Stabil in the tank, put it on the battery tender in my garage (non-heated) and wait for the next chance to ride (which may not be for 2 months here in SLC).   It's worked for me for many years and many bikes, and I've never had a problem starting the bike when getting on it again. 

Why can't left turners see us?

This is how I used to do it. Battery on tender, tires inflated more than usual if weight of the bike is on tires, full tank gas with fuel stabilizer, aluminum foil rolled up into exhaust to stop rodents getting in there. Wash and dry the bike before storing for winter. If possible, oil change before storage so the bike sits with fresh oil. Move the bike a bit once a week so that tires do not get flat spots.

• Premium Member
I live in Michigan... 

I agree except the last part. I keep the tank full so there is as little exposed metal as possible, because winter humidity and exposed metal = rust.  So my ritual in the winter is... At the end of each ride, top of the tank close to home, get home and put appropriate amount of Stabil in the tank, put it on the battery tender in my garage (non-heated) and wait for the next chance to ride (which may not be for 2 months here in SLC).   It's worked for me for many years and many bikes, and I've never had a problem starting the bike when getting on it again.
Oh, and I run the engine for a minute or so after adding the Stabil and shaking the bike a little so the treated gas is throughout the system. I also usually do an oil change and chain lube as EORS (end of riding season) hits.

Why can't left turners see us?

Well there is gonna be that one guy. So imma be it.

West winterization strategy? Keep riding.

My late Ninja 650 after riding into work early last winter. Can't find my photo of full on snow atm.

32e23426e6118bcacfa6e8900f2be5b5.jpg

• Premium Member

I have the extreme luxury of a double level underground heated parkade. I still zip around at least once a week, keep the tank topped up and a bit of stabilizer as well, a battery tender, front and rear stands when on holiday and a fitted cover and tarp...because who wants a slush-dirt covered bike cover?

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

My late Ninja 650 after riding into work early last winter. Can't find my photo of full on snow atm.

Poor guy. The pic of your bike reminds me of one of those SPCA commercials of the dogs shivering in the cold. Lol.

Like you said, main thing is to keep riding. Just got to work with what you have. I remember when I used to put plastic bags on my socks so they wouldn't get wet during the rainy season. I know I'm not the only one... Or am I? Haha.

Poor guy. The pic of your bike reminds me of one of those SPCA commercials of the dogs shivering in the cold. Lol. 
Like you said, main thing is to keep riding. Just got to work with what you have. I remember when I used to put plastic bags on my socks so they wouldn't get wet during the rainy season. I know I'm not the only one... Or am I? Haha.
started off with bags. Then water proof seal skin socks. Finally got water proof boots.

that's some serious rime ice. Pilots don't fly in that for good reason. I rode in 9F in Chicago one time - froze my ass off even with the Gerbings on High. Don't recommend below 20F unless you've got active heat and good layers and gloves/boots that keep your extremities functioning.

Another day I found myself sprawled in the middle lane of I-94N doing a slow pirouette while cars weaved in their lanes trying to slow down for the guy who moments ago was upright but was now testing the coefficient of ice/snow-covered roads on his Ballistic JR pants. One of those instances where the macho got the better of judgement.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

that's some serious rime ice. Pilots don't fly in that for good reason. I rode in 9F in Chicago one time - froze my ass off even with the Gerbings on High. Don't recommend below 20F unless you've got active heat and good layers and gloves/boots that keep your extremities functioning. 
Another day I found myself sprawled in the middle lane of I-94N doing a slow pirouette while cars weaved in their lanes trying to slow down for the guy who moments ago was upright but was now testing the coefficient of ice/snow-covered roads on his Ballistic JR pants. One of those instances where the macho got the better of judgement.
Been doing it for 7 years. Maybe one day I'll invest in active heat. But for the time being standard snow layers are adequate. The first experience with charcoal gray hands is a hard lesson to missunderstand. :(

Favorite moment was going up about a 30-40 degree incline with no visibility of the road. Apparently I turned too soon and was going up hill in snow covered grass. Lost traction and slid about 12-15ft backward. Kept her upright the entire time though!

was going up hill in snow covered grass. Lost traction and slid about 12-15ft backward.

And quoth @Admin, "knobbies!"
:)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

All sound good but I always add stabilizer and keep the tank full as well to avoid any air in the tank which is where you are going to get the rust starting. Also never ever have used a battery tender just take the battery out and store it in my basement till next spring, never had any battery issues or one go bad. Also keeps me from deciding on a lark on a winter day when the roads are dry and sun out from taking the bike out when I am craving spring! LOL

bmwpowere36m3

Change oil/filter, battery maintainer, Stabil Marine formula to a FULL tank (only E10 in CT) and add air to MAX listed on sidewall.

was going up hill in snow covered grass. Lost traction and slid about 12-15ft backward.
And quoth @Admin, "knobbies!" :)

That's actually one of the reasons I'm for my next tire change I'm moon 2nd at something with more aggressive tread. I like the stocker Bridgestones but I want something that'll bite a bit more in snow and dirt.

• Global Moderator
And quoth @Admin, "knobbies!" :)

That's actually one of the reasons I'm for my next tire change I'm moon 2nd at something with more aggressive tread. I like the stocker Bridgestones but I want something that'll bite a bit more in snow and dirt.
Preventing few threads about that @zombiephone has a set on her vike... but I'll be damned if I can remember which ones they are at the moment

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Preventing few threads about that @zombiephone has a set on her vike... but I'll be damned if I can remember which ones they are at the moment
I've been eyeing some. ATM they're a bit pricey IMO. Though with how great these stock tires are wearing it probably won't be until Winter of 2017 I'm replacing them. Maybe with the bike being out longer and it being off season theyll be cheaper.

Well, barring my plan of getting a second set of rims to have street and knobbies to change quickly between falls through.

Archived