The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic TI exhaust

dombek100

Hi I just fitted Akrapovic TI exhaust on my MT 07 (NO cat WITH db killer). All in Yamaha dealership (bike is still on guarantee), and the bike is not running as it should. I feel that it lost few hp in lower rpm range - above 6 trpm everything seems to be ok. It also stalled few times (more than usually).
I know that those are problems with proper a/f ratio (Yamaha didn't recommend any EFI controller. Moreover they told me that CAT is not necessary).
My question is does anyone have Akra TI with cat and with db killer with no EFI controller and the bike is running ok (found a thread in internet that this configuration should run ok – with A/F ratio closest to ideal)? Don’t want to buy CAT and then realize that it didn’t help.
Other question did anyone install Rapid Bike EVO? Did it help? Seriously considering going back to stock because that sound doesn’t offset the power and responsiveness this engine is having.
Forgive me my poor english.

Guest ChicagoAJ

You need a flash/tune or fuel management to make the bike "aware" that it has a new part. The ECU is set to run a stock map and think the bike has a stock exhaust. Putting a new exhaust on without changing any of the ECU's parameters is the reason it's running poorly. Your dealer likely didn't recommend any type of fuel management because messing with the ECU potentially voids the warranty if something breaks and they can prove it was related to the fuel management program.

Brother and I are both running Akraprovic TI exhaust on our FZ. We both ran it without a fuel controller for about couple weeks, and didnt have any problems other than running slightly lean. I feel like it shouldnt mess with your A/F to the point it stalls out.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am so happy that I found this forum. Unfortunately in Poland there are not many users of MT 07, so finding any info is difficult.

@ChicagoAJ thanks for your reply. In Poland Akra TI version is sold by Yamaha dealers as aftermarket exhaust that doesn’t need any Fuel management modules because it’s A/F ratio is almost the same as stock exhaust (that’s why I bought it). With ECU flash I’m 100% with You on that (that’s exactly what they told me - that they don’t recommend it).

@robinhood do you have Catalytic converter on your bike? What with O2 sensor? Do you have it connected or disconnected?

I was wondering maybe I should buy CAT – I found information on some other FZ forum that Akra TI was designed to fit stock fuel mapping but with baffle and CAT. Could someone confirm it for me?

What I am afraid of is damaging the bike in any way because of too lean or reach fuel mixture.

I do not have a catalytic converter. I have my O2 sensor connected. If you have it disconnected that might be a good reason to why your motorcycle is not running correctly. Your motorcycle uses the O2 sensor to make its calculation but if you have it off it has no way of doing so.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Thank you so much for your reply. I am so happy that I found this forum. Unfortunately in Poland there are not many users of MT 07, so finding any info is difficult. 
@chicagoaj thanks for your reply. In Poland Akra TI version is sold by Yamaha dealers as aftermarket exhaust that doesn’t need any Fuel management modules because it’s A/F ratio is almost the same as stock exhaust (that’s why I bought it). With ECU flash I’m 100% with You on that (that’s exactly what they told me - that they don’t recommend it).

@robinhood do you have Catalytic converter on your bike? What with O2 sensor? Do you have it connected or disconnected?

I was wondering maybe I should buy CAT – I found information on some other FZ forum that Akra TI was designed to fit stock fuel mapping but with baffle and CAT. Could someone confirm it for me?

What I am afraid of is damaging the bike in any way because of too lean or reach fuel mixture.
If you can live without the bike for a couple weeks I would suggest looking into getting the ECU flash from 2WheelDynoWorks. I wasn't happy when I put Akra Carbon on, but once I got the flash it was a whole new bike. 

• Premium Member

I have the Akra Ti with Baffle, no Cat, with Stock O2 sensor. I'm at 4600' asl and it runs just as good, if not better than stock, or at least close enough to fool me. I can still pick up the front wheel in 1st and 2nd, and it runs smooth. A little burble on decel, but no pops.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

I run the Ti with baffle as well. NO EJK or ECU flash. If it's down on power, I definitely can't pick up on it. Made the bike smoother at higher RPMs--less vibrations.

Thank you for your answers.
The bike seems to run ok now. Only difference I have noticed is that the throttle is not so jerky anymore (in lower range of rpm), but I kind of miss it. Another problem (and this one bothers me more) is stalling.
We all know that some MT/FZ 07 have stalling issue, but after I have fitted mine with Akra the problem comes a bit more often.
Well after through research I have decided to go for Rapid Bike EVO with its autotune feature (which looks quite impressive for me). I have spoken with a MT 09 owner that have fitted his bike with that module (+Akra) and he couldn’t stop praising it. I will surely write some info about it (in case anyone is interested in it).
One more time thank for all your answers and help.

Archived