The MT-07 Forum

Longhairs COME FORTH!

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe
Warning: Manly thread ahead

I recently grew my hair out (well, over the last 2 years) and I am wondering WTF I am supposed to do with it when riding.

Basically, I have given up on brushing it. It takes me like 15+ minutes to brush it all out if I want. I can't do this every day. I thought it was my hair genetics that caused it to be tangled all the time, but after talking to a few other long-haired individuals, I realized that motorcycle rides are detrimental to hair if you want to keep it snarl-free. I can hang heavy objects from my hair because of how tangled it is. It's a PITA!!

Any tips for keeping it from being tangled? I commute via moto pretty much every day.

Elvishpresley

I have not cut my hair in nearly 6 years. I put it in a ponytail under my helmet and tuck it into my jacket. A quick brush out when I stop usually does the trick.

LONG rides my hair comes out of the jacket eventually and it's so tangled a it will eat a brush. [HASH]longhairbikelife

I have at least 4 ties in my hair and it is tucked under my jacket when I ride on the highway.

Don't look as cool but hair doesn't get tangled that way. :)

Here's a few suggestions:

I think Arnold used axle grease on his hair

[attachment id=2215" thumbnail="1]"Get to da choppaaaa!!!!"

Then there's dreadlocks that are universally liked:
[attachment id=2216" thumbnail="1] "Get off dat choppa you wimp!!"

or you can go old school jerry curl
[attachment id=2217" thumbnail="1]

Any of those would be cool.

;)

Beemer

• Premium Member

Whoops... cleaning keyboard... errant post.

Sorry, I've got nothing for you hair lovin' folk. ;)  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

i hate long hair ... makes me too hot. Mine is wiry and has R value of 19, so i cut it myself and keep it short. I have a soul patch but that doesnt get too sweaty :P

• Premium Member

I use a pair of battery powered clippers and clip it down to the scalp about every two weeks. Been doing that for over 30 years. Some day I'll have to calculate how much money I've saved it shampoo, hair cuts, combs, and how much time I've saved in hair management. I'm sure it's not a small amount, given that I have terrible, curly hair. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

i hate long hair ... makes me too hot. Mine is wiry and has R value of 19, so i cut it myself and keep it short. I have a soul patch but that doesnt get too sweaty :P
LMAO! Has an "R" value! Stop crackin' me up over here! Braaaah, haaaaa!! 
If you have any to spare the attic could use a little more insulation.  ;)

Beemer

I use a pair of battery powered clippers and clip it down to the scalp about every two weeks. Been doing that for over 30 years. Some day I'll have to calculate how much money I've saved it shampoo, hair cuts, combs, and how much time I've saved in hair management. I'm sure it's not a small amount, given that I have terrible, curly hair. :)
[attachment id=2229" thumbnail="1] Don't feel like the Lone Ranger there, rowdy! Same thing every two weeks for the last three yrs. ([HASH]2)

No more comb overs for this guy after watching this:

[attachment id=2230" thumbnail="1] 

Like you said, the savings are substantial.

Beemer

I am jealous of the long hair life, once I retire I will never step foot in a barbershop again!

2016 FZ07 - LOVING IT!!
2003 R6 - SOLD
2006 FZ6 - SOLD

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

If you still ride when winter comes a balaclava will keep tangles away.

Meanwhile use conditioner and a couple of elastic ties.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

I am sixty, and I still have hair. I considered myself lucky. :)
I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

• Global Moderator

My hair is getting out there... even if my age is half that of some.of you guys... im gonna second @hippiebikerchick's recommendation of balaclava and a conditioner regemen. I recommend garnier fructis leave in conditioner
it smells awesome

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

AlbatrossCafe
I've done that for the last 10 years. I'm 25 now. It was time to grow my hair out before I lost it P-) . I've been trying to live up to my viking ancestry expectations. 
Baklava is great in the winter, but not for summer.

I can't fathom all the "6 hair ties" posts. Maybe my hair is too short for that? Where are you putting the ties? Just throwing them in randomly until all the hair is bundled up?

• Premium Member

Cut my hair since picking up riding, sure I get confused for a male all the time but at least I don't have to deal with:

1. hair that gets in my FOV when the helmet goes on
2. tangles
3. longer showers/longer drying time

AlbatrossCafe
Cut my hair since picking up riding, sure I get confused for a male all the time but at least I don't have to deal with: 
1. hair that gets in my FOV when the helmet goes on
2. tangles
3. longer showers/longer drying time
Haha the hair that snakes around pointy-end right into my eyeballs is the WORST, but I've been using a headband that I put on first and that solves 98% of that issue.  

• Premium Member

Only thing I miss about my long hair is going to the salon once per annum, now it's every 2 weeks :(

How do you guys deal with your long nails and riding gloves?
My nails are precious so I coat my nails in Dippity-do and put my hands in surgical gloves to lock in the moisture and then I slip them into some good leather gloves for the bike ride. Whenever I go anywhere and take my gloves off everyone gathers around me to look at my purdy nails and asks how I do it.  ;)  

Beemer

I go with a braid if doing long rides, just one in the back, tried the Willy braids but they kind of whipped around a lot and were annoying after an hour or so.

Archived