The MT-07 Forum

MT/FZ07 cyl timing and my comments re: phase. Apology

gregjet

I have made a large number of comments re: problems with exhaust and inlet out of phase overlap problems. I have been seriously misinformed and much of what I have said on this subject is now rescinded.
I had believed the literature that had described the motor as being a 90deg offset firing order  motor. As hordboy ( thank you) pointed out, and I confirmed by checking the valve timing , the motor is way more unusual than that. The cranks ARE at 90deg, but the firing order is a pretty unique 270deg. This gets rid of the problems of intake overlap almost entirely and makes the exhaust phase problems less severe ( I still have to model it but I suspect it now only effect one of the two of the pulse returns).
After the official Yamaha literature describing the yzf125r motor, that I used to race ,as a oversquare motor ( it's undersqure) , I should have been more circumspect.
My thanks to hordboy for the correction.
So in a nutshell : Because of the 270deg offset, rather than 90deg, the 2 into one exhaust is a much more reasonable option.  There is still a phase problem but much less so overall. For the inlet there is no problem.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Went researching on the net and Triumph's new twin is 270deg also. Might be becoming more common.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Went researching on the net and Triumph's new twin is 270deg also. Might be becoming more common.
No problem, more than a few guys have put 270* billet cranks in their vintage Triumphs for the better balance characteristics than the 360*. 

Archived