The MT-07 Forum

Bike seems down on power

virginiadave

virginiadave

So over the last month or so, my FZ has seemed like it doesn't have as much power as it used to. I've never been a wheelie guy, but one thing I love about this bike is how easy it is to pop the front wheel up in 1st and 2nd. Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed it takes a lot more gas to get the front wheel up in 1st, and the same in 2nd, and when I can get it off the ground, it's just barely coming up. Then over the past week or so, I've started to feel like I don't have the same power when accelerating as I used to. I've also noticed a lot more popping and backfiring when decelerating with the clutch out. Then today I took off at full acceleration from a light, and when I got into high RPM (in 1st and 2nd gear) the bike sputtered, almost like I was running out of gas. After that I rode on the highway for a good 20 miles to work, and it seemed fine.
The bike is almost a year old, about 4k miles, and is stock except for the carbon Akra exhaust, which has been on it since 2 weeks after it was new. I've always felt like there might be a leak at the header, but until recently I've had no issues with power loss. Any ideas? Am I imagining this??

All summed up the bike runs fine when you're not cracking the throttle to pull a wheelie or accelerate hard. I'm no mechanic but if it were me I would check the easiest things first, like header bolts and make sure they haven't come loose. Next, the throttle/tube and if that isn't it I would change my plugs. The bike may only have 4k miles on it but there's no guarantee every plug from the factory will perform equally up to 8k miles. After that I would seriously be looking into a fuel/air controller or flash tune of some sort for that pipe. Pipe manufactures may say your bike will run fine with their pipe alone but to who's standards? How can they know how your bike is running? Good luck!

Beemer

virginiadave

I was planning on checking the header bolts this weekend. I'll go ahead and check the throttle and plugs too if the header bolts are good. If I can't find anything, I might put the OEM exhaust(sigh) back on just to see if the issues go away. Thanks for replying!

• Premium Member

Have you ever synced the throttle bodies?

Everything went braap.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Could be:

1) Throttle bodies need to be synced
2) Spark plugs are shot (unless you have a fuel management for your exhaust)
3) Has it been much hotter and more humid than usual? My bike runs crappy in 90+ temps when comparing its performance in 60 degree weather.

All the above are good suggestions, definitely go there first but if you do pull the plugs by all means do a compression check and if you pull the exhaust take a flash light and see what the ex. valves look like, if you can see them they should all be pretty much the same color. A leak down test will let you know if you're getting leakage past the rings or valves, listen at the exhaust and see if perhaps air is leaking past exhaust valves, airbox for intake valves and breather hose for rings.I guess I'm thinking that perhaps a lean condition from stock made worse by exhaust system could have caused burnt ex. valves/seats? I have not heard of this happening on these bikes however. The popping and backfiring (more than your usual) may also be indicative of this.

So over the last month or so, my FZ has seemed like it doesn't have as much power as it used to. I've never been a wheelie guy, but one thing I love about this bike is how easy it is to pop the front wheel up in 1st and 2nd. Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed it takes a lot more gas to get the front wheel up in 1st, and the same in 2nd, and when I can get it off the ground, it's just barely coming up. Then over the past week or so, I've started to feel like I don't have the same power when accelerating as I used to. I've also noticed a lot more popping and backfiring when decelerating with the clutch out. Then today I took off at full acceleration from a light, and when I got into high RPM (in 1st and 2nd gear) the bike sputtered, almost like I was running out of gas. After that I rode on the highway for a good 20 miles to work, and it seemed fine. The bike is almost a year old, about 4k miles, and is stock except for the carbon Akra exhaust, which has been on it since 2 weeks after it was new. I've always felt like there might be a leak at the header, but until recently I've had no issues with power loss. Any ideas? Am I imagining this??

It's probably just in your head. All my bikes seem slower a year into riding them, it's just me getting used to every little nuance and tendency of said bikes. By then I've already rapped the rpm's out.

Or have you ridden an fz-10 lately? That would do it too..

Go stop by a dyno shop and report back with your Hp and Tq readings.
What would something like this cost? It would be handy to have a baseline from when your bike is newish and running good. 

Go stop by a dyno shop and report back with your Hp and Tq readings.
What would something like this cost? It would be handy to have a baseline from when your bike is newish and running good.

I have always found that quality of dyno experience is more important but, save money and buy next tire from an established dyno shop. You will need the tire anyways and then u can negotiate the dyno a bit

Not unknown for little beast's to build nests in air box.
Yep, forgot about that one! There was a thread on that one I recall. I remember the guys wife had lured mice to nest there with mouse food because she hated his bike. Ha, I kid!

Beemer

+3 to lose power that fast with no mileage on it almost has to be mice in the air box. While taking apart the bike check for any loose hoses for a vac. leak.

Could also be water in the gas.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

virginiadave
Could be: 
1) Throttle bodies need to be synced
2) Spark plugs are shot (unless you have a fuel management for your exhaust)
3) Has it been much hotter and more humid than usual? My bike runs crappy in 90+ temps when comparing its performance in 60 degree weather.

I haven't had the throttle bodies synced. I try to most maintenance myself, but not sure I can do that. I need to check the plugs, didn't have time this weekend. I did check the header bolts. They seemed pretty tight. I loosened everything up to make sure the headers were seated properly. It has been really hot and humid here in the DC area the last few weeks, and I do think that has been a part of the problem. This morning it was in the high 60's w no humidity, and the bike definitely ran better.
Thanks for all of the input. I'll be checking the plugs this weekend, and I guess I need to call around to see what it would cost to get the throttle bodies synced.

Archived