The MT-07 Forum

'Ride Safe' Reminder

jbone

Hey guys, this is my first thread and I hate that it has to be about this, but it struck a cord with me and I felt a responsibility to share this. Without getting too much into it, my job exposes me to some fun and exciting things - but mostly crappy things. Sticking to the theme of the latter, I recently dealt with a fellow FZ-07 rider who died instantly from a bad crash in a 30 mph zone. The bike was a brand new 2016 and he was young - IDK his riding skill. I won't go into specifics, but hefty speeds and irresponsibility can be disastrous - especially in dense traffic areas.

We all know how much fun these bikes can be and with how nimble and quick they are, it's easy to get lax and a little arrogant at times.

Please, understand that we are a minority on the road and in some parts of the U.S, drivers are only used to seeing bikes on the road for maybe 5-6 months of the year. Drivers are pre-occupied , impatient and distracted. Adding to that, bikes are more difficult for those types of drivers to see. I say these things not because I am trying to make excuses for drivers, but because it's true and it will only get worse. We owe it to ourselves and our friends & families to accept these adversities and incorporate them into our riding habits.

I'm not here to crap down the throats or degrade those of you who enjoy riding on the wild side because heck, accidents happen all the time to those who ride chill. I'm simply here to post a friendly reminder of the dangerous realities of our hobby and to understand that your actions have reactions. Accidents show no mercy.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone and I don't mean to lecture. Stay safe out there folks and enjoy yourselves.   

I agree with you, jbone. I find riding thrilling, but need to keep an eye on everything! I had an accident when started riding, the road is always hard, hehe. So, enjoy safely and ideally, get a proper gear!

Safe riding!

Absolutely right, probably in the same professional area as you are (employer provides clothing, right?) but in another continent. Some drivers can be absolutely reckless so as a motorcycle rider I think it's always best to ride thinking that everybody out there is trying to hit you.

Best advice by far I heard was from David L. Hough who is the author of Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, and Mastering the Ride. He said that motorcycling should be looked at like the aviation industry. The goal should be to do everything in your power to not crash. It doesn't matter what gear you have
or helmet you have, there is a good chance you go down in the street your going to have a serious injury or death.

Best advice I heard

Looking on every other driver/rider as a homicidal maniac helps,
but as a UK rider it seems strange that you seem to be able to
just go and buy/ride anything on two wheels even 200mph plastic
missiles without any training or test, gearboxes seem a total
mystery to many, on the other hand our system is over the top
the other way to the point of putting most but the truly dedicated
off due to time and cost. We are just going through another rehash
of said rules before we even got our heads round the last set.
So I don't recommend you take up our way but some sort of voluntary
training would very likely save a few painful and expensive even fatal
happenings.

Looking on every other driver/rider as a homicidal maniac helps, but as a UK rider it seems strange that you seem to be able to
just go and buy/ride anything on two wheels even 200mph plastic
missiles without any training or test, gearboxes seem a total
mystery to many, on the other hand our system is over the top
the other way to the point of putting most but the truly dedicated
off due to time and cost. We are just going through another rehash
of said rules before we even got our heads round the last set.
So I don't recommend you take up our way but some sort of voluntary
training would very likely save a few painful and expensive even fatal
happenings.

I believe it depends upon the state you live in

I agree with Ralph. It's funny how you really have to prove yourself before you are allowed to fly an airplane of any sort to travel the skies @ 200 mph. or faster but you say you want to travel on the roads in a vehicle capable of 200 + mph.??? Sure, no problem, just show me your Cracker Jack license.  :P

Beemer

This strikes a chord with me too. I often see people behaving recklessly but I'm usually pretty good. Twice before I've almost been hit-car just didn't see me. I wasn't so lucky the other day. I'll be laid up for several months. A kid came across 2 lanes to hit me but I don't remember it. I haven't seen the bike but I'm told it might be salvageable. Why can't people look? I was having a great day. I was exploring VT and taking pictures. I was riding responsibly. Now I don't even know when I'll walk again. I feel a pity party coming on. This sucks.

Wow, really sorry to hear about your accident jetgirl. Personally, I sort of let my guard down when I'm "riding responsibly". When I'm pushing the legal limits, adrenalin is flowing, and awareness is heightened. I feel more prepared for idiots coming my way. However, I also notice many YouTube accident videos involve riders screwing around or far exceeding the speed limit. But, it's hard to relax and enjoy the ride, yet be on high alert.

I do appreciate the thought jbone. Fully understand your intentions.

Get well soon, jetgirl. Hope you get some decent compensation as well.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

Ahhh @jetgirl! Take care & get well soon!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator
This strikes a chord with me too. I often see people behaving recklessly but I'm usually pretty good. Twice before I've almost been hit-car just didn't see me. I wasn't so lucky the other day. I'll be laid up for several months. A kid came across 2 lanes to hit me but I don't remember it. I haven't seen the bike but I'm told it might be salvageable. Why can't people look? I was having a great day. I was exploring VT and taking pictures. I was riding responsibly. Now I don't even know when I'll walk again. I feel a pity party coming on. This sucks.
Well shit... here i was plannning a ride out yo VA/DC then up to NY
so much for getting to meet ya jet

Get better with superhuman speed and get back on the horse and i'll come out to ride with ya

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived