The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Cameras

enupe

• Premium Member

In your opinion what's the best camera to go with for videoing rides and taking pics? I'm thinking about getting one. I don't necessarily want a cam that sticks to my helmet and if does mount to a helmet I would like to be able to easily remove it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pineappleunderthesea

If you want to go cheap with something that can be mounted on a RAM mount (using the typical camera threaded adaptor), check out Mobius Action cams. They can loop record, and have a small footprint.

If you want to have a camera that you can speak into for blogging, and cheap, then maybe the Sena Tube.

Otherwise wait until end of year, there are rumors of a new GoPro that is a holy grail if you trust the Internet.

• Premium Member

Im pretty pleased with the 'Sena-10c'. Great resolution 720 or 1080, video tagging (for saving those "special" moments), flawless bluetooth connections and music, low profile and easy to operate while zipping around. This thing has alot of functions in it. A bit pricey but so far a solid piece of kit.
Battery life is pretty standard for cams which is pretty low depending on what functions you're using of course, but you can charge it while in use via cig adapter.

I wanted a helmet cam but didnt want that fugly boxy gopro thing strapped to my head.
If you just want a simple less expensive camera without comms you could check out the "Sena Tube" or one of the "Replay" cameras or the "Fusar Mohawk"-(pricey?). There are a ton of diff cam options out there. Let us know what you decide on. Good luck.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/sena-tube-review/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-video-camera-reviews/replay-xd-1080/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-video-camera-reviews/replayxd-prime-x-review/
https://www.fusar.com/

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I use a Garmin Virb. Water proof. Case isn't needed. Has hookup for HDMI and external Mic built in. Rubberized shell for impact resistance. If you get the higher end model it even has GPS, accelerometers, and Wi-Fi built in.

dentalprodigy

Another vote for the Möbius action cam. Very happy with this ghetto pro. It has a 2hr battery life, 1080p and I think the new ones are 60fps(not positive though). It's like ~$80 bucks only. See my old posts for video samples.

martyinaustin

i have the little Go Pro Session. yeah, there's a little box on my head but it's so small it's barely noticeable in the wind. what i like about it is it's water proof so i've been playing
with it in rivers and really, anywhere as well as riding. fwiw.

marty

I have the GoPro hero3 silver and a GoPro hero4 black. Still waiting on the newest model GoPro which seems like forever, but the quality of the GP black is second to none. I believe there's also a sena attachment so they can work together.

I would look for a used GoPro Hero 3+ Silver. That model will record in 1080p 60fps, which is plenty for normal use and youtube. The part I like specifically about the 3+ Silver is that it will record about 30-45 minutes longer than the 3+ Black or any GoPro 4 variant while shooting 1080p 60fps (I usually get 2 hours 15-25 minutes). Two weeks ago I found one that was almost new at a pawn shop for $180 and came with two batteries and a few accessories.

I will be mounting that to my helmet with a mic, and I also have two Ion Air Pro HD cameras (1080p 30fps) that I will mount to the bike for other angles. These cameras are nice because they come waterproof/wifi ready and they are built super strong. Theu make the GoPro seem really delicate, but the GoPro does have a better camera.

Both of my GoPro's have built in Wifi, but damn their batteries suck. I don't know what I would beable to record if I didn't have an extended battery pack.

I use a Xiaomi Yi action cam which is kinda like a GoPro clone ($70 when i got it last year). I was so impressed with it that I got the newer one that was recently released "Xiaomi Yi 4k" ($250). It supposedly has better specs hardware wise than the GoPro 4 Black. So far it does not disappoint.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
So far I am definitely leaning in the direction of the FUSAR Mohawk, especially for the connectivity advantages of group riding. https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=XKeRWDRzfEc

It looks like a great package, but it's a crowd-funded company. Risk that the product will never see the market and/or that it will take a long time to receive the product.  

• Premium Member
So far I am definitely leaning in the direction of the FUSAR Mohawk, especially for the connectivity advantages of group riding. https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=XKeRWDRzfEc

It looks like a great package, but it's a crowd-funded company. Risk that the product will never see the market and/or that it will take a long time to receive the product.
That's why personally I would wait until it hits the market.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
That's why personally I would wait until it hits the market.
But without pre-orders...

I don't have an opinion of what's the best camera for what you want to use it for but I can say this. A helmet mounted cam isn't going to shake/vibrate as much and I don't like a camera sitting on top of or on the side of my helmet either. That's why I got a chin mount for for my full face helmet. From the front it isn't nearly as noticeable. Also, if you see something off to the side you can simply turn your head to record it. Try that with a bike mounted camera but if you can't live with a cam on your helmet, oh well! Good luck, whatever you choose!

Beemer

• Premium Member
@beemer can you post a link to this chin mount?

I *had* my gopro mounted on my previous helmet. It was an AGV that came to more of a point at the chin. To get around it, I mounted it off to the side, but still had the camera centered. This video helped IMMENSELY and I was able to get it done perfectly. The only money I spent was on an additional mount and the screws listed on the video itself.

[attachment id=2205" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

@ beemer I don't worry about pricey and I am far from being rich. If I like it/want it I get it. I don't quite understand owning a $8,000 machine and wanting to go cheap all the time, but that's just me.

Here is what I did this past week with my RF-1200.

I am VERY anal when it comes to having a "clean" look. I wanted a chin-mount for several reasons, but with the RF-1200 it is hard to do because the chin is very contoured, making it difficult to use adhesive strips without making it look kinda cheap and ugly (imo). I have used Sugru for a few years now, and it is great for many things so I thought this would be a great application. I also ended up looking on

after I did this (should have done it before haha) and found someone else who had done the same with success. Not only is this method cheap, it is the cleanest setup I could find! 
I used a GoPro Chin Mount and two packets of Sugru (they come with 3 small packets when purchased) in total and it ended up working extremely well. I used blue painters tape to mask off everything on the chin but the spot I wanted to mount, and it came out very clean and centered, and I am happy that it doesn't look cheap or tacky. It is very solid and as you can tell from one of the pictures, I am able to hold the weight of the helmet with the GoPro attached.

With the helmet on, I can barely see the top edge of the GoPro, so my view is in no way obstructed by it. As far as the weight goes, you would have to be consciously thinking about the weight of it to feel that it is there. Otherwise, it isn't really noticeable, especially if you already have a light helmet. I chose the 3+ Silver specifically because it does 1080p 60fps which is all I need for my uses (dashcam, YouTube), and compared to the 3+ Black or any 4 Variant the image quality is close enough that it doesn't outweigh the fact that for whatever reason, the 3+ Silver will record 1080p 60fps for at least 30-45 minutes longer with a standard battery than the 3+ Black or 4. That is a 25% difference in recording length which is a big deal.

(Keep in mind I have a black waterproof case coming for the GoPro, which will help even more making it look even less noticeable)

20160817_143423.jpg

20160817_143557.jpg20160817_143538.jpg
20160817_143337.jpg

• Premium Member

@beemer will that chin mount work with other types of cameras as well, I'm not gonna get a Go Pro? Can you post a link to some video so we can see the view from the chin?

• Premium Member
@ beemer I don't worry about pricey and I am far from being rich. If I like it/want it I get it. I don't quite understand owning a $8,000 machine and wanting to go cheap all the time, but that's just me.
+1. Thats the spirit! You gotta spoil this nice bike a little, or a lot.  Its been a full year of guilt-free spending on high quality bits and pieces.  
People are slipping away everyday,  might be me, or it might not be me, so Ive got to enjoy everything I've got while Im able. :)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

@beemer I will only purchase high quality stuff. That's just me. I refuse to do that cheap stuff like I see a lot of people wanting to do. I spent too much money on my bike just to put cheap parts on it.

Archived