The MT-07 Forum

New member Washington state. Hit and Run!

andylamp

Hey everybody, just joined today, quick backstory, I don't have an Fz07..... Yet! I have been doing some research and keep hearing nothing but good things about this bike and just went to a local dealer today and fell in love with the bike! I didn't get to test ride it yet but I already know it is going to be perfect for me, I'm a little on the smaller side at 5'8" and 160lbs so seat heat is obviously an important factor, and I'm able to sit on the bike flat footed! (My last bike I was tip toe gang big time) So my bike History is that I built a 1970 Harley Sportster Ironhead from the ground up with my Dad in high school, it's a cool bike but a lil on the unreliable side and a bit death trap-y! So last year I got a 2008 aprilia Shiver 750 for a good price on Craigslist and it was in great condition and a good bike that I enjoyed but like I said earlier it was really close to being almost too tall for me. Anyways, I guess exactly a month ago now I was on a quick ride across town to have dinner with my girlfriend, nice summer evening still plenty light out when a driver aggressively changed lanes right in front of me, and the the driver side corner of their bumper hit my front tire, instantly throwing me and the bike down, the car kept driving so it was a hit and run and I didn't get a look at the plate as I was going down and the witnesses in the area were more worried about me than seeing what the plate was so never heard any news on who it was, I got pretty lucky in that I only got some decent road rash on both arms and should have shattered my left knee cap as it was the first thing to hit the ground but instead just skinned it all the way to the bone so I had to have a pretty decent sized skin graft to get the hole covered up. But other than that I came out pretty unscathed! The bike is totalled so that leads me to looking at getting the Yamaha and joining this forum to become a part of this community and basically lurk and drool over everyone else's bikes while I wait until I'm fully healed up to get my own! Any feedback or advice any of you may have for a potential new owner I would definitely appreciate! I hope this was at least a little entertaining to read, I'll try to post some pics of my other bikes if I can. Thank you for your time and safe riding!

Glad you survived and am looking at the best middleweight currently on the market.

ps. next time maybe some overpants?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
Oh definitely going to invest in some quality riding jeans for next season!
Glad you're still in one piece after that one. Motoport is definitely worth a look for high-end clothing. Fully customizable, it isnt cheap but neither is your azz. http://www.motoport.com/

Welcome to the best FZ forum around. A really solid bunch here. The FZ is a blast.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Oh definitely going to invest in some quality riding jeans for next season!
Glad you're still in one piece after that one. Motoport is definitely worth a look for high-end clothing. Fully customizable, it isnt cheap but neither is your azz. http://www.motoport.com/

Welcome to the best FZ forum around. A really solid bunch here. The FZ is a blast.

Thanks for the tip!

Welcome and glad you're alive and not afraid to get back on and ride once again. Skin graft ... OUCH! I don't know what your situation was, if you were passing at the time or just cruising behind/beside the guy but it's best to keep a distance from cars at speed, even when you're in another lane, so that if they do change lanes suddenly without warning they don't clip you. If you're going to pass a car don't be right next to them. Get over some to allow yourself some time to react and pass as quickly as possible while keeping and eye on them. In a nutshell, don't hang next to cars at any time if you can help it. Get well, good luck, be safe, get the FZ!

Beemer

Welcome and glad you're alive and not afraid to get back on and ride once again. Skin graft ... OUCH! I don't know what your situation was, if you were passing at the time or just cruising behind/beside the guy but it's best to keep a distance from cars at speed, even when you're in another lane, so that if they do change lanes suddenly without warning they don't clip you. If you're going to pass a car don't be right next to them. Get over some to allow yourself some time to react and pass as quickly as possible while keeping and eye on them. In a nutshell, don't hang next to cars at any time if you can help it. Get well, good luck, be safe, get the FZ!
. Yeah I was actually speeding up to pass him because I didn't want to be next to him. I've been riding since I was 17 and ride very defensively and had never been down but there's was nothing I could do this time, there was a barrier to my left, and cars behind me so I had nowhere to maneuver. Plus he swerved over so fast and even tho I was towards the left side of the lane he still hit me.

. Yeah I was actually speeding up to pass him because I didn't want to be next to him. I've been riding since I was 17 and ride very defensively and had never been down but there's was nothing I could do this time, there was a barrier to my left, and cars behind me so I had nowhere to maneuver. Plus he swerved over so fast and even tho I was towards the left side of the lane he still hit me.
I'm really sorry that happened to you. Sometimes there's just no avoiding something (wrong place, wrong time) and it's a shame the guy got away with it. Someone like that deserves a good old fashioned, Taiwanese, public caning. We should have that over here since jail doesn't seem to embarrass some people.  ;)  

Beemer

Archived