The MT-07 Forum

Fz07 cam chain tensioner

nrojashbc

The ones you are seeing of the FZ-09 have been rigged up with a bolt and nut to backstop the innards of the tensioner. It keeps it from backing out but is not truly "adjustable."

J.D. Hord

bmwpowere36m3
Self-adjusting... coil spring assisted by oil pressure. Newer ones feature a mechanism to prevent the tensioner from backing up (think ratchet mechanism).
Where did you see this? The side by side pict of that one from the FZ9 looks a bit different, but likely has the same mechanism 
It's actually better described as oil pressure driven with a coil spring assist. The spring is there just to keep pressure on the chain when there is no oil pressure - as in after you shut off the motor. My Rotax's tensioners (2 of everything in a V twin)  are completely loose until the motor is running and there's oil pressure. 

One other part # that's been changed is the pivot bolt for the guide rail. Now there's a part that won't be all that easy to reach as it's at the bottom of the rail, well down near or in the crankcase. Wonder how much that's been changed. 
See what?  I didn't mean to imply that the FZ-07/09 had a ratchet mechanism... most tensioners I've worked on have it.  Works in conjunction with spring to keep the chain from a loss of tension.

Where did you see this? The side by side pict of that one from the FZ9 looks a bit different, but likely has the same mechanism 
It's actually better described as oil pressure driven with a coil spring assist. The spring is there just to keep pressure on the chain when there is no oil pressure - as in after you shut off the motor. My Rotax's tensioners (2 of everything in a V twin)  are completely loose until the motor is running and there's oil pressure. 

One other part # that's been changed is the pivot bolt for the guide rail. Now there's a part that won't be all that easy to reach as it's at the bottom of the rail, well down near or in the crankcase. Wonder how much that's been changed. 
See what?  I didn't mean to imply that the FZ-07/09 had a ratchet mechanism... most tensioners I've worked on have it.  Works in conjunction with spring to keep the chain from a loss of tension.

1bcd31efeea5072703599071773d0738.jpg I believe around number 17 is what the fz07 has and the fz09 might have one similar

17 in that pict is likely just a plug. With a ratcheting mechanism inside, there has to be a mechanism to hold the plunger back until the tensioner assembly has been installed. It would have to be under that plug as it doesn't look like there's any place on the side - at least in that drawing.

Gonna have a look at the service manual at some point.

And yeah, that extra bolt/nut combo the guy on the FZ9 forum came up with was just to back-stop the adjuster on that unit. Pretty clever and, erm, "thrifty" fix, imo.

With a ratcheting tensioner, it's either gotta be removed or backstopped (my K11RS motor had a port in the case that allowed a tool to push against the tensioner so it didn't go nuts on the chain when the cams were pulled) from the inside in order to remove the cams for shim replacement.

17 is just mounting bolt, there are 2 but only one shows on pic. 14 is plug to cover hole where you wind up tensioner when installing it. 15 is crush washer.

17 is just mounting bolt, there are 2 but only one shows on pic. 14 is plug to cover hole where you wind up tensioner when installing it. 15 is crush washer.
Sheesh - getting dyslexic in my old age

- what he said. 

Archived