The MT-07 Forum

Fz07 cam chain tensioner

nrojashbc

Has anyone replaced the cam chain tensioner. After starting to hear noise after a long trip. I've read a lot about it being that on a fz09 can it be the same for the fz07

Those tensioned are usually pushed against the chain with oil pressure. Think this one is the same. Unless they weren't made/designed properly, they should have a pretty long life.
What oil are you using? If it's losing viscosity from heat, it might allow the chain to be a bit slack. If you only hear noise at idle, I'd ignore it.

It's the same basic tensioner as in the FZ-09.  There haven't been too many FZ-07 complaints yet but it is only a matter of time.  I have an APE manual on my FZ-07, for peace of mind.  Hydraulic tensioners are pretty notorious for giving up the ghost.  The Triumph 675 series of engines is particularly bad, I've sold hundreds of APE tensioners.  The Triumphs are so bad, the chain saws into the engine block!!  I sell the FZ-07 version here:

APE Pro cam chain tensioner

J.D. Hord

Can remember reading about the 675s having tensioner issues, but thought that was an issue fixed a while ago

The hydraulic tensioners on my Rotax seem very reliable. Good thing as they're not so easy to replace.

• Premium Member
Has anyone replaced the cam chain tensioner. After starting to hear noise after a long trip. I've read a lot about it being that on a fz09 can it be the same for the fz07
Just curious how many miles you got on your bike, thanks! 

Thanks for the replys. I am looking into getting the ape (cct) I have 22,500 miles bikes due for the 24k soon. I am running full synthetic 15w50 With Esther. I was running yamalube. Same description. But all three shops that are close to my house didn't have that so I got the 300v. I change my oil every 3k. The chain was loud as hell so I went to a z link gold chain. At 15k. It quieted that portion down. I turned it on yesterday after watching a lot of youtube. Maybe I was paranoid I did 700 miles in two days was fatigue lol. But I'm not going to be riding. Checked to see if I can get the service early just need 700 dollars or so.

Thanks for the replys. I am looking into getting the ape (cct) I have 22,500 miles bikes due for the 24k soon. I am running full synthetic 15w50 With Esther. I was running yamalube. Same description. But all three shops that are close to my house didn't have that so I got the 300v. I change my oil every 3k. The chain was loud as hell so I went to a z link gold chain. At 15k. It quieted that portion down. I turned it on yesterday after watching a lot of youtube. Maybe I was paranoid I did 700 miles in two days was fatigue lol. But I'm not going to be riding. Checked to see if I can get the service early just need 700 dollars or so.

Those tensioned are usually pushed against the chain with oil pressure. Think this one is the same. Unless they weren't made/designed properly, they should have a pretty long life. What oil are you using? If it's losing viscosity from heat, it might allow the chain to be a bit slack. If you only hear noise at idle, I'd ignore it.
Yeah that's was reading. 15w50 full synthetic with Esther

Those tensioned are usually pushed against the chain with oil pressure. Think this one is the same. Unless they weren't made/designed properly, they should have a pretty long life. What oil are you using? If it's losing viscosity from heat, it might allow the chain to be a bit slack. If you only hear noise at idle, I'd ignore it.
And I heard it while idling.

This z-link chain is a timing chain or a drive chain?  
Looks like Yamaha redesigned this part sometime in 2014. CLearly they knew there was an issue. Just out of curiosity, was yours an early build? As the 07s don't seem to have this issue as globally as the 09s, wonder if the newer part # is working reliably. 

Drive chain it looks pretty cool when Its clean lol not so much when it's dirty

Looks like Yamaha redesigned this part sometime in 2014. CLearly they knew there was an issue. Just out of curiosity, was yours an early build? As the 07s don't seem to have this issue as globally as the 09s, wonder if the newer part # is working reliably. 
I got mine August 2014. What problem are you talking about?

Like hordboy mentioned above, rattling timing chains have been an issue with the FZ09s. Haven't kept up with that forum at all so I went and had a look. Have a read http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2162-cam-chain-tensioner-minor-changed.html

If the tensioner on the FZ7 is in fact the same part number (will have a look later) as the one in the FZ9, if the bike was manufactured early enough, it might have that original version of the cct. Sale date is not as important here as build date (that'll be somewhere on the frame) but yours, (as well as mine bought a month later) are close enough to April of 2014 when the new part # became available to suspect we both have a tensioner that Yamaha is now no longer installing in these motors.

When they change a part number that early in the life of a motor, they might not admit it was a bad design, but the engineers do know.

Going to an aftermarket tensioner is one way to fix it, but maybe the revised Yammie version will also have no issues.

I called the dealership I purchased the bike from. They said it's not a known issue. Still not going to ride it no matter what the problem is. If it's even a problem. Could just mean I need the valves adjusted sooner. I put a lot of miles in one year. Only did the first 3 services. But kept on changing my oil myself. Plus since it's such a quite bike you hear every thing. Love the bike.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I called the dealership I purchased the bike from. They said it's not a known issue. Still not going to ride it no matter what the problem is. If it's even a problem. Could just mean I need the valves adjusted sooner. I put a lot of miles in one year. Only did the first 3 services. But kept on changing my oil myself. Plus since it's such a quite bike you hear every thing. Love the bike.
Once I got an exhaust I no longer hear anything from the front of the bike, haha. 

Once I got an exhaust I no longer hear anything from the front of the bike, haha. 
Yeah I need one lol they just not In my budget at the moment

Latest revision for the '09 models includes mods to increase oil pressure.
That would seem to indicate that varying tolerance in manufacturing will cause loss of tension. Quick fix is a manual CCT. Otherwise dance and romance the dealers?

The '09's had the problem right from the start, the '07, it's uncommon.

bmwpowere36m3

Looks like the FZ-07 CCT P/N has been superseded and the new one is applicable to '16 models... so maybe they redesigned it along with the FZ-09.

• Global Moderator
Looks like the FZ-07 CCT P/N has been superseded and the new one is applicable to '16 models... so maybe they redesigned it along with the FZ-09.
Good to know...
wonder if they released a service bulletin along side the part update... maybe something our resident yami dealer grunt could look into

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

There are vids out there demonstrating what the FZ9 sounds like with a rattling chain. The timing chain would have to be crazy loose for it to jump a sprocket tooth, but still, it should be reasonably quiet. Yours might just need to be adjusted a touch. I'll have a look in the service manual to see how this is done.

Doubtful it's tappet noise as this seems to have happened to you in a short period of time. It probably doesn't take much of a turn on that adjuster to go from quiet to clatter. Your 1st instinct that it's the cct is probably right. There is likely a long guide inside the motor that the adjuster mechanism pushes on. That part will also wear/indent a bit as it's usually a very hard rubber.

If yer gonna take it to the dealer, have them check the adjustment. It might just be a 5 min. fix.

My last BMW (a K1100) had a complicated mechanism that was both oil pressure operated and, instead of a spring, had a ratcheting mechanism to hold the tensioner in place until pressure held it firm. That worked most of the time - but if the chain allowed the thing to be between ratchet positions, well, it clicked and made all manner of weird noises at idle.

Sounds like this is just some growing pains with new motors. Better this than worn cam surfacing that still seems to pop up with new bikes.

Think I'd still rather have oil pressure allow the tensioner to follow any slight tight/loose spots in the chain. This is why they make these things more complicated in the 1st place than just a locked down manual adjuster.

There are vids out there demonstrating what the FZ9 sounds like with a rattling chain. The timing chain would have to be crazy loose for it to jump a sprocket tooth, but still, it should be reasonably quiet. Yours might just need to be adjusted a touch. I'll have a look in the service manual to see how this is done.  
Doubtful it's tappet noise as this seems to have happened to you in a short period of time. It probably doesn't take much of a turn on that adjuster to go from quiet to clatter. Your 1st instinct that it's the cct is probably right. There is likely a long guide inside the motor that the adjuster mechanism pushes on. That part will also wear/indent a bit as it's usually a very hard rubber.

If yer gonna take it to the dealer, have them check the adjustment. It might just be a 5 min. fix.
I looked up parts on the Yamaha website it's a big plate that goes before the chain. The adjuster is self adjusting it's located on the right side. It adjust from oil pressure. Two bolts on each side almost same placement as the fz09 there's a video on youtube. He turns it 1/4 and it rattles and turns it same amount it's fine. But he has a manual cct installed but I do not have one yet lol

It's an automatic oil over spring tensioner, there is no adjustment. It works ok... until it doesn't. If it gets stuck you can try to free it with a hex wrench, but...

J.D. Hord

bmwpowere36m3

Self-adjusting... coil spring assisted by oil pressure. Newer ones feature a mechanism to prevent the tensioner from backing up (think ratchet mechanism).

Self-adjusting... coil spring assisted by oil pressure. Newer ones feature a mechanism to prevent the tensioner from backing up (think ratchet mechanism).
Where did you see this? The side by side pict of that one from the FZ9 looks a bit different, but likely has the same mechanism 
It's actually better described as oil pressure driven with a coil spring assist. The spring is there just to keep pressure on the chain when there is no oil pressure - as in after you shut off the motor. My Rotax's tensioners (2 of everything in a V twin)  are completely loose until the motor is running and there's oil pressure. 

One other part # that's been changed is the pivot bolt for the guide rail. Now there's a part that won't be all that easy to reach as it's at the bottom of the rail, well down near or in the crankcase. Wonder how much that's been changed. 

Archived