The MT-07 Forum

Considering getting a FZ-07

zulutango

Hi everyone! Zack here. I learned how to ride a motorcycle on a brand new cbr600rr back in 2006. After 2000 miles I figured out that the seating position didn't work for me and sold it. Fast forward 2 years a I bought a harley wide glide. At that time I began riding a ton of long distance rides so I upgraded to a street glide. About 3 years ago I totalled the street glide. I decided about a year ago that it was time to get back in the saddle so I picked up a street bob. I barely had it a month before I realized that I was over the harley scene. I'm here because I think the fz-07 might be the perfect bike to wing me off of harleys. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Test ride. Only you will know if this bike will tickle your fancy!

To me it is a blast to ride and a great value at <$7000

I will say this is nothing like a Harley.

• Premium Member

I think the riding position will work for you vs that CBR and it definitely has enough torque down low to be more fun than the Honda on the street as well.
Stick an after market pipe on the FZ and she really wakes up, and the sound better matches it's character and power. And I agree with capnkirk, the package can't be beat for the price. Look into "gently used" FZ and the price gets even better!

There's a lot to say for the bike but in a nutshell, it's just a fun bike to ride. Also, if you do decide to get one and a Harley rider says anything about your FZ-07 not being an "AMERICAN BIKE" you can go to sleep with a smile knowing Harley uses parts made in Japan.  ;)

Beemer

I think the riding position will work for you vs that CBR and it definitely has enough torque down low to be more fun than the Honda on the street as well. Stick an after market pipe on the FZ and she really wakes up and the sounds better matches it's character and power. And I agree with capnkirk, the package can't be beat for the price. Look into "gently used" FZs and the price gets even better!

I agree, get one with low miles and some warranty left on it and save yourself some serious cash, enough for a good aftermarket pipe if it doesn't have one on it already. Good luck!

Beemer

• Premium Member
There's a lot to say for the bike but in a nutshell, it's just a fun bike to ride. Also, if you do decide to get one, if a Harley rider says anything about your FZ-07 not being an "AMERICAN BIKE" you can go to sleep with a smile knowing Harley uses parts made in Japan.  ;)
...and I'll bet Japan gets a bunch of their parts from China. It's been said that up here in Canukistan, all one has to do is make the "Made in Canada" tag in Canada and the entire article is then recognized and sold as.   I wouldnt be surprised if it were true.  I'd also bet HD just stamps their logo on their crap regardless of where its from and calls it a day.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Well, Japanese or not, American or not, it's a nice bike: not as sporty as the CBR in performance and riding position, still enough power to have fun and wheelies. I would test ride one, and definitely, some mods will make the ride even more fun. :)

Safe riding!

• Premium Member

Fz-07= street legal version of the Yamaha 450f dirt bike used by the factory race teams...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Here's an after thought that hasn't been mentioned yet. If you like the torque and pulling power that a Harley has then you'll probably find the FZ-07 to be similar but more exciting. It has a lot of torque for it's size/weight, maybe more for it's size than a Harley because the bike can go 0-60 mph. in 3.4 seconds. So, the bike can be ridden like a scalded banshee or it can be ridden leisurely, it does that very well also. Read what the pros have to say about it and you'll find it's an all around great bike with a fantastic engine that uses modern technology.

Beemer

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely a fan of low end torque but what's drawing me in is everything about it. Price, dependability, fuel mileage, comfort, weight, size, simplicity, etc. There's only one thing it's lacking that I'd rather have and that's ABS. I'm definitely comfortable riding without it but I know for a fact ABS has saved me twice over the years.

Archived