The MT-07 Forum

You think your roads are bad?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Guest ChicagoAJ

I hit something that almost bucked me off my bike. I was doing about 55mph, never even saw it. I'm not sure if it was a pothole or a large, sharp bump in the road but the second I hit it, I ended up on the passenger seat. Apparently our rims are made of the same soft cheese most of the bolts on the bike are made of. Anyway, I'm debating on replacing the rim - figured I'd see what people say.

I pounded on it with a block of wood and large mallet to straighten it out as best as I could, but I got it about as far as it could go with the angle I was able to knock it around with it on the bike. It still rides fine, still smooth and doesn't leak air. I've had it up to 90mph to test it, seems fine to me. I might make a winter project out of it and just bring the wheel to the dealer and have them swap everything over to the new wheel, but if it does another few thousand miles before the season is over, I might not... Best price I could find online is $305 for just the rim... 

Before hammering:

2qdz6ds.jpg

m8zh39.jpg

[b style=color:rgb(255, 0, 0)]After hammering:[/b]

11ak7ev.jpg

2r3v71l.jpg

I realize it costs quite a bit to replace but for safety's sake I would replace it. Sucks to have to drop that kind of money. Sorry dude.

I agree, safety first... Now... Being positive, you can now be creative... Let us know, please!

Safe riding!

• Premium Member

Personally I wouldnt ride with that kind of ding aside from taking it to a wheel shop for a second opinion. Perhaps they can repair and rebalance it.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

A guy I used to work with had a similar situation with his rim. He had it repaired for $75 and he could not tell it was ever damaged after the repair. According to him, he had no problems with the rim after the repair. They inspect the rim first to see if it can be repaired. This place specialized in rim repairs and this was about four years ago. See if there are any rim repair places in your area. Good luck!

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Dayyyyum son! Glad you stayed on the bike and kept the rubber up.

Guest ChicagoAJ
A guy I used to work with had a similar situation with his rim. He had it repaired for $75 and he could not tell it was ever damaged after the repair. According to him, he had no problems with the rim after the repair. They inspect the rim first to see if it can be repaired. This place specialized in rim repairs and this was about four years ago. See if there are any rim repair places in your area. Good luck! 

I don't think it even needs to be repaired much more, if I take it off the bike to get a better angle to bang it out I think I could get it pretty much back into place. I would run it like this indefinitely, I just hate to have the damage on the bike. I'll look into rim repair places though, thanks for the tip.

Edit: Just emailed a place about 10 miles from me that specializes in rim repair and powdercoating. I'll see what they have to say about it.

4&6 Racing perhaps? It's definitely fixable. I've had a couple rims fixed over the years. If they're any good it'll come back straighter than new.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
4&6 Racing perhaps? It's definitely fixable. I've had a couple rims fixed over the years. If they're any good it'll come back straighter than new.

Place called Crown Custom and Coatings.

Guest ChicagoAJ

The 3 rim repair places in the area I contacted all do not work on motorcycle rims at all except to either paint or powder coat them.

I'm still waiting on one of Paulie's contacts to get back to me to see if he has a wheel I could purchase, otherwise...

...I'll likely be getting a new rim in a week or two for $279.xx on Partzilla with free shipping. I'm just going to bring my screwed up wheel to the nearest dealer and have them swap over the tire, wheel bearings, spacer, and add new oil seals (unless they can reuse the ones on the wheel now). Probably be around $350-400 after everything is said and done.

Guest ChicagoAJ
do NOT re-use wheel bearings! ever.
Yea I was just pricing them out. They're only ~25 for the set, might as well get those new too... 

Guest ChicagoAJ
Crikie! Was it this pothole?! 

It wasn't even a pothole. It was a huge buckle right where asphalt meets concrete. A sharp, protruding bump. 

Crikie! Was it this pothole?! 

It wasn't even a pothole. It was a huge buckle right where asphalt meets concrete. A sharp, protruding bump. 
Wow, what are the chances of that happening?! Were you leaning at all or did it simply push past your tire and hit your rim? It must've made a terrible noise.

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
Wow, what are the chances of that happening?! Were you leaning at all or did it simply push past your tire and hit your rim? It must've made a terrible noise.
I don't remember much except being in the air all of the sudden. There's no chip on the rim or damage to the tire at all so I have no idea how it bent how it did. Must've just been a real crazy impact.

I hit a 2" deep pothole mildly leaned over which was completely obscured by running water (irrigation) and it instantly deflated the front tire. Hardest impact I've ever experienced. Surprisingly it didn't destroy the rim. The closest "gas station" was a Porche dealer. They let me keep the bike onsite till I could come back with my truck after work. You could eat off their shop floor, but you paid well over $100 for an oil change of Shell premium full synthetic.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
I hit a 2" deep pothole mildly leaned over which was completely obscured by running water (irrigation) and it instantly deflated the front tire. Hardest impact I've ever experienced. Surprisingly it didn't destroy the rim. The closest "gas station" was a Porche dealer. They let me keep the bike onsite till I could come back with my truck after work. You could eat off their shop floor, but you paid well over $100 for an oil change of Shell premium full synthetic.
Lucky, I can't imagine how bad the impact must have been to bend this rim. After taking a block of wood and mallet to it about 100 times the dent was barely moved back into place. Just hope it doesn't happen again after I get a new wheel. 

You should send an email or call the city public works department and let them know about the buckle in the road. Another biker could get pretty messed up if they hit the same spot.

Guest ChicagoAJ
You should send an email or call the city public works department and let them know about the buckle in the road. Another biker could get pretty messed up if they hit the same spot.
Way ahead of you. I sent them an "X" on a map of where the buckle is, a screenshot of rim repair places saying they won't repair a bike rim, pictures of the damage is caused my bike, and even submitted a claim form to the county government. If the claim is approved they cover the repair - I'm not going to hold my breath and I'll likely have it fixed in the next week or two but a few hundred bucks from them would be nice as that would cover 80% of what I'm going to have to pay.  
I'll make sure to share whatever they send me back. 

Way ahead of you. I sent them an "X" on a map of where the buckle is, a screenshot of rim repair places saying they won't repair a bike rim, pictures of the damage is caused my bike, and even submitted a claim form to the county government. If the claim is approved they cover the repair - I'm not going to hold my breath and I'll likely have it fixed in the next week or two but a few hundred bucks from them would be nice as that would cover 80% of what I'm going to have to pay.  
If they don't reimburse you, you can tell them that the local news station just loves a good under-dog story to help boost their ratings.  ;)

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
If they don't reimburse you, you can tell them that the local news station just loves a good under-dog story to help boost their ratings.  ;)
Ha, that's a good one. Cook County (the county I live in) is one of the worst counties in Illinois (maybe even US). They're so corrupt they'll probably send me a bill for my rim nearly damaging their custom roadway. 

Ha, that's a good one. Cook County (the county I live in) is one of the worst counties in Illinois (maybe even US). They're so corrupt they'll probably send me a bill for my rim nearly damaging their custom roadway. 
LMAO! That would make a good SNL skit. "You damn motorcycle hooligan, you've damaged our precious!! >:D  "

Beemer

More like a citation for 'inattentive operation of a motor-vehicle' (aka texting) and 'damage to city property'.
I lived on W. Touhy near Sheridan. I don't know why they called it 'west' Touhy. 'East' Touhy would be in the friggin water.

42.012343, -87.667764 that was my apartment and where the red car is where I had a pole and tarp 'car port' nailed into the asphault and ran a 50ft extension cord out to my bikes to keep them warmer than ambient.

If he goes on the news, he can probably expect a visit in the night from a helpful "city official" with a distinct Italian or Greek accent with oddly big, meaty hands to provide assurance that they welcome "community feedback".

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived