The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Valve clearance specs

jbird

Anyone do a valve clearance adjustment yet, if so I can't find the specs on what each valve should be set at? And for those who've accomplished this, was the clearance good ? At your mileage checkup and if not how much were they off?

I am rebuilding engine from race bike, it had few track days and few races on it. Engine was out of the frame and on the bench. While taking engine apart I checked valve clearances, they were good.

I am rebuilding engine from race bike, it had few track days and few races on it. Engine was out of the frame and on the bench. While taking engine apart I checked valve clearances, they were good. 

What's your total miles

How easy is this to do yourself, or would this be. Timely fix from a dealer?
The average mechanically inclined owner should be able to check the clearances. Think the scheduled look is somewhere around 25k miles. 
If shims need to be replaced, you'll need to have a few more skills and tools (like a micrometer to measure old shims) as the cams must be removed and replaced w/o screwing up valve timing.

Either way, you'll at least need a set of feeler gauges.  

Even if you've done this on other bikes, it's always good to have the service manual. Most of the questions you've asked will have answers there. If you've never done this, you might consider finding a friend who can guide you along. A mistake can be expensive. 

As for symptoms, if a tappet has too much clearance, you might be able to hear it as a tap. A valve that has too little clearance is worse for the motor and impossible (well, idle speed might drop on a carbureted motor - it won't with FI though) to know w/o lifting the hood. 

One of the reasons I bought this bike! No valve check till 26500 miles. On my ST1300 I've already checked it 3 times. Done every 16k miles. At least they have stayed in spec, no adjustment necessary.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I've stopped even checking my Aprilia's valves. The Rotax motors just stay in spec routinely for well over 50k miles. I'll pop the valve cover on the FZ when the time comes.

Guess I don't have the time or money to accomplish this procedure right now, so I'll save the money, and buy a new tire, as nessesity, I'm at 30,800 m btw

Fingers crossed and will hope to overlook this, I don't hear any tapping, and my local mechanic, took a listen, and said there was no need to pull anything apart

Noise and tapping are not the problem, the clearances tend to tighten up
then the valves start to leak you loose compression and burn the valves,
having said that it,s unlikely to happen this side of 50,000 miles.
I very much doubt if many get checked even at a dealer service.

Yep, if they are tight, they will be quieter than normal. This will happen over time so you'll never hear the change. And like Ralph said, tight valves burn up.

These shim over bucket set-ups do tend to be stable. That Yamaha has pt a 26k mile service for them says they are pretty confident with them.

But, ya just never know until ya look - or we have a large history of no one needing a shim, regardless the abuse.

Noise and tapping are not the problem, the clearances tend to tighten up then the valves start to leak you loose compression and burn the valves,
having said that it,s unlikely to happen this side of 50,000 miles.
I very much doubt if many get checked even at a dealer service.

So your saying they should be fine, and I should check at 50k ? That's what I'm trying to find out if anyone did check at the manual mileage, and were they off?

What I am saying is that it's your bike and up to you but I am not going to even look at mine
till 50,000 miles I have looked on the net and the ones I have found have been ok, have found
a few MT-09's that have had tight exhaust valves but no MT/FZ 07's, over the last few years I
have checked 2 BMW's 3 Hondas 1 Kawasaki 1 Yamaha and a 500 Rotax that I can remember and
not one as needed adjustment.

If your valves were right and are tightening then they are moving into the seats ( unless you have stretchy valves which happens or the collett edges have worn. Either is , in my opinion, needing a look at the seats.
There are only 2 bikes that I know of personally ( ie I ain't a professional mechanic that gets to see everything) are SVX and RVX Aprillias ( so beautiful and so flawed) which stretched and ate seats and ZXR250' and 400's which ate seats. Most seem to stay stable thankfully. That includes a Yamaha svx250 that had 120000km on it when I checked!

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived