The MT-07 Forum

Major Change Coming to the Look of the MT/FZ-07?

Guest 2wheeler

If Yammi is listening, provide ABS at least as an option for US model too. I would like better headlights and ABS.

But please try not to make the front end look like this
transformer.jpg
[/img]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" On second thoughts a carbon fiber bike with all LED lighting (my FZ-07 is already all LED now anyway) sounds good. As long as it has a clutch. "
More likely TWO clutches...

I really do not like the look of the 07. Looks way to manga to me. Luckily I couldn't give much of a stuff about the looks. I like the bike cause it 's fun to ride and responds to so smart tinkering ( primarily suspension).
Somehow Yamaha has managed to do what the japs rarely do....make a bike that appeals to the inner motorcyclist. Do ask me to explain because I can't. They made a middle sized, "meh" adolescent looks, cheap motorcycle that is just plain fun to ride. The lighter weight helps but it has something else. Like the RD and RZ's had.
If I were designing it the overall shape would be smoother and more aero ( the stock bike is a parachute). I still love it anyway.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

1. If you already have one what are you worried about?
2. More models using similar parts keeps costs down while keeping Yamaha making bikes for us.
3. Those buyers that know what they need will upgrade to their own requirements.
4. Motor, weight and CG on the FZ is awesome, the chassis is actually good. Everything else is fixable. You can change it's face.
5. The low price/low spec makes this a fun bike to turn into a great bike. We aren't throwing J&P Cycles universal parts onto a Motus...
Cheers :)

bmwpowere36m3
dnw.png

Good thing I already have a FZ-07... I'm all for LED lighting when done properly.  Don't care for the styling of the shroud.  I think LEDs still fall behind in terms of CRI, color, coverage/beam pattern.  There's something to be said about proper HIDs (TL, FX, E55, E46 and aftermarket selections) 47598f1b44cc4f6890329733939d4f97.png

The headlight was always the weak point on the FZ07 and the major reason I almost didn't buy mine. This might be a step in the right direction and solve the issue of the anemic reflector housing with the projector cluster. If it looks good I'd be willing to even go all in and buy the parts to retrofit my bike.

• Premium Member

I have given this more thought..if Yamaha keeps the same original headlight but changes the internals to HID or whatnot it would not bother me...it just the fact of a new headlight like the fz-10 ruins the simple lines of he fz-07...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have given this more thought..if Yamaha keeps the same original headlight but changes the internals to HID or whatnot it would not bother me...it just the fact of a new headlight like the fz-10 ruins the simple lines of he fz-07...
I don't know about that. I don't really see the FZ-07 as having simple lines. On the contrary it is one of the more sophisticated and complicated looking ones I've seen in some time. I think really only the FZ-10 tops it.

I've been waiting for someone on here to do some more custom headlight projects. I'm interested in partnering up with someone to R&D something cool and then do a production run on here if we can make it sort of plug and play.
This would be a great idea. I've retrofitted some projectors with angel/devil eyes to reflectors. But a plug and play, especially if it keeps stock forward facing fachia mounting bolts a lot of aftermarket companies use for windshields, would be fantastic

I will be interested to see how the address the low beam cut off issue. LED's without a reflector and shroud in their current forms will give a narrow "conical" beam ( it's a bit wierder shape than that) that fades to the edges.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Just like any change in life some wI'll love it and some will hate it.

I don't like the deception look. Glad I already bought mine.

• 2 weeks later...

If they are going to make the change I wish they'd hurry up and reveal it and get the fiche for it out so I can start buying the parts up for a conversion.

• Premium Member

Oh boy! More mail! This would tempt me. I hope it isnt simply rumour.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

If it's over $300 don't buy it! I have someone working on something that I think you guys would like, now looking at assembly costs. My model works because we have ZERO advertising costs and can do a preorder to offset startup costs.

If the numbers make sense we'll build a prototype and post it up, but the drawings that I'm not dumb enough to post before filing patent, it looks bad freakin ass.

Stay tuned

If it's over $300 don't buy it! I have someone working on something that I think you guys would like, now looking at assembly costs. My model works because we have ZERO advertising costs and can do a preorder to offset startup costs.  
If the numbers make sense we'll build a prototype and post it up, but the drawings that I'm not dumb enough to post before filing patent, it looks bad freakin ass.

Stay tuned
Oh what a tease. If it does anything to remedy the flat faced pug syndrome this bike has on top of giving better light output count me in!

I hated the FZ-09 headlight. Not the look of it, the performance of it sucked in mountain deer, wolf and elk country. Alot of our adventures get dark before we get home.

I like small and light as possible for anything that I get for my bikes, LED fits that bill but alot of current kits have a few disadvantages.

My testing has shown two leds at once tilted down very slightly works best for distance, proper width and not blinding the guy coming at you.

Round Baja style lights are very best for performance, but they would honestly look dumb on the FZ07, but if that's your thing then the SV-650 might be more up your alley anyways.

I hated the FZ-09 headlight. Not the look of it, the performance of it sucked in mountain deer, wolf and elk country. Alot of our adventures get dark before we get home. 
I like small and light as possible for anything that I get for my bikes, LED fits that bill but alot of current kits have a few disadvantages.

My testing has shown two leds at once tilted down very slightly works best for distance, proper width and not blinding the guy coming at you.

Round Baja style lights are very best for performance, but they would honestly look dumb on the FZ07, but if that's your thing then the SV-650 might be more up your alley anyways.

Sticky with my true to live practicality over everything else the FZ07 is a bit of a compromise. My previous bike, a 2012 Ninja 650 was stolen off my front porch in broad day like. My solution? Park Morningside the house. In order to do this I needed a bike that was narrow enough to fit the bill. The FZ07 was on the short list. Ultimately I settled on it because if how light it was, how short the wheel base was, and how torqueytorquey it was. Hell, even the appearance aside from the headlight I loved. I think my biggest issue there is just how low it was. It made the e tire thing feel off and didn't quite flow with the lines.

LEDs are great, only downside is in current configuration you need At least two for a good line, four if you want dual intensity.

Now unless what you're working on brand two LED projectors into the stock housing, which I 100% cannot see happening, then I am sure it will be an improvement, atleast in my eyes, to the front end. And to be honest, I am an old fogey at hear and would much rather support a startup working on their own idea than a giant company if the product is worthwhile. So keep on keeping on and I can't wait to see what you've got cooking.

FZ-10 is already WAY too much like a tranformer for my tastes. Leave the 7 alone.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

AlbatrossCafe

My bike is crying tears of blurple after that comment:

e5t_LQkc.jpg

Archived