The MT-07 Forum

Do you sit on your bike while fueling?

Redstang4

Been riding since 1970 and not once have ever sat there while fueling. Find it awkward and have to take off gloves anyway to get at the wallet. Can you guys actually put a credit card into the pump while sitting on the bike? Besides, these days I'm almost always carrying a tankbag and that's gotta sit somewhere. On this bike, it's on the seat.
I...I leave my gloves on to pull out my wallet and card. Though if you're riding with a tank bag I completely understand dismounting.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In New Jersey, it's illegal to pump your own gas...
Woooooooow! How much extra pay for that!
Oddly enough, gas in NJ is usually 30 cents per gallon cheaper than here in Pa.

Woooooooow! How much extra pay for that!
Oddly enough, gas in NJ is usually 30 cents per gallon cheaper than here in Pa.
And then Pittsburgh adds yet another tax - we pay nearly $2:50/gallon here right now for 87.  

Never realized that sitting on the bike while fueling was a fire hazard. It makes sense, though. Good to know....

Never realized that sitting on the bike while fueling was a fire hazard. It makes sense, though. Good to know.... 
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=7abe1812cdc7" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I never got off my bike to fill, and never thought about it before seeing this video/thread. I will be from now on!
The only hazard is the idiot beside that bike that keeps touching it and either accuse tally or deliberately ignites it.

EDIT: Turns out this was a combination of shitty as usual KTM engineering and a faulty safety valve on the pump. These bikes have been having huge overheating issues.

Valve on the pump failed, fuel spilled on the engine, then ignited. Gasoline ignites around 500 Fahrenheit. So the surface of the engine had to be at least that. Which in itself is crazy.

I sit on the bike and fill. No problem to reach the credit card device. I carry a front pocket wallet so I just put my right foot down to straighten the leg, reach in and pull my wallet out and sit back down. Swipe the card, pump the gas, put the nozzle back, put my wallet back and off I go. I don't even have to take my gloves off because I wear mx gloves that are no problem to reach into my pocket with.

Also our user manual states that 91 is the recommended octane fuel, so that's what I use.

I sit on the bike and fill. No problem to reach the credit card device. I carry a front pocket wallet so I just put my right foot down to straighten the leg, reach in and pull my wallet out and sit back down. Swipe the card, pump the gas, put the nozzle back, put my wallet back and off I go. I don't even have to take my gloves off because I wear mx gloves that are no problem to reach into my pocket with. 
Also our user manual states that 91 is the recommended octane fuel, so that's what I use.
I'm guessing you're from Europe? In the US we use (RON+MON)/2. Using this system recommended is 87 octane per the manual. Sounds like your 91 is a RON rating.

I'm guessing you're from Europe? In the US we use (RON+MON)/2. Using this system recommended is 87 octane per the manual. Sounds like your 91 is a RON rating.
California, actually. I'll admit I saw the 91 while just giving the manual a quick flip-through and did not look for any fine print or notes about the octane calculation. I'll give it another look when I get home tonight. 

I pretty much always fuel while I'm on the bike now but it is mostly because I am going to park the bike afterwards and go into the station.

California, actually. I'll admit I saw the 91 while just giving the manual a quick flip-through and did not look for any fine print or notes about the octane calculation. I'll give it another look when I get home tonight.
Ah. That might be. We have different bikes. My FZ07 is only 49 state legal due to not having the appropriate equipment to pass California's emissions. I wonder if the 50 state, with the evap canister and all that, somehow changes to fuel requirement.

Archived