The MT-07 Forum

Do you sit on your bike while fueling?

Redstang4

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I can think of when someone mentions fuelling on the bike is petrol in the crotch....OWWWWWWW burny.....

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

It's even in the owners manual not to be on the bike. That being said I have done it from time to time.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

The only thing I can think of when someone mentions fuelling on the bike is petrol in the crotch....OWWWWWWW burny.....
I'm curious how y'all are sitting for something like to happen. If I were to spill gas, it would run off to either side. Even it is ran directly down the tank toward me it would run down the crack between the saddle and the tank cover.

Do you guy ride with your crotches up on the plastic tank cover or something? That is the only way I can see that happening.

I'm curious how y'all are sitting for something like to happen. If I were to spill gas, it would run off to either side. Even it is ran directly down the tank toward me it would run down the crash between the saddle and the tank cover.  
Do you guy ride with your crotches up on the plastic tank cover or something? That is the only way I can see that happening.
Well i think its better control to hug the tank w ones legs while riding, which means one would have to be close to the tank.

But when it comes to filling up I completely dismount. Until now i didnt know people sat on their rides while doing this.

I'm curious how y'all are sitting for something like to happen. If I were to spill gas, it would run off to either side. Even it is ran directly down the tank toward me it would run down the crash between the saddle and the tank cover.  
Well i think its better control to hug the tank w ones legs while riding, which means one would have to be close to the tank.  
But when it comes to filling up I completely dismount. Until now i didnt know people sat on their rides while doing this.
Im not exceptionally tall, but I get plenty of grip on the tank with my legs when in the proper seating posture. But that aside, again, if you're filling you'd have to be deliberately leaning over with your crotch on the tank cover to even have the tumors of chances of getting fuel on you. I mean not only does the saddle make a curve straight up, but you've got all the panel lines where the fuel would divert before getting to you. 8fa9923201bbafceedb4eff6c1ee8a9c.jpg

It is just hard for me to wrap my heat around getting off the bike to fuel. It just doesn't make sense. That is one of the benefits of riding over driving a cage as well. There just isn't a practical purpose. And I am saying this as a person that chooses tires based on how practical they are in snow and ice for the winter. The only time I dismount on a refuel is if it is after a hundred plus miles and I need to stretch. But even then I do most stretching while riding.

EDIT: This is me fully geared and forward in the saddle. b4f098e488497a1194cb66ff926a3697.jpg

I've always cocked the bars to the right the entire way in order to squeeze in as many ounces of gas as possible but I've never sat on the bike while fueling. I always enjoy a good stretch whenever possible. Just seems lazy to sit on the bike while fueling, not to mention common sense not to do so. I've had idiots fly around a pump to pull in where I was fueling and didn't see me til the last minute. I'm always prepared to jump away from the thing or push it into harm's way to save my own butt if necessary. I can always get another bike.

I'd like some paid time off work as much as the next guy but not for a screw up because I was too lazy to get off my bike at the gas pump :-P

I had no idea America still had any type of gas station attendants. In my meager 27 years of existence, I have yet to come across anything besides self serve.  
I must be living under a rock.
In New Jersey, it's illegal to pump your own gas... 

• Premium Member
I get off, take my gloves off, check my phone, stretch, then fuel up. Give my body some time to relax.
Yep, Im with you caliesv these 'youngins' just dont know yet how necessary/welcome it is for us old folks (42) ;) to take a minute or two to stretch and chill out. Furthermore, nobody touches or dribbles gas on or near Dr. Beef Sharmachan. No sir. :D

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I get off, take my gloves off, check my phone, stretch, then fuel up. Give my body some time to relax.
Yep, Im with you caliesv these 'youngins' just dont know yet how necessary/welcome it is for us old folks (42) ;) to take a minute or two to stretch and chill out. Furthermore, nobody touches or dribbles gas on or near Dr. Beef Sharmachan. No sir. :D

Haha!

I think another part that comes into play is the distance rode. Since I use my bike for commuting all year 99% of my fillups are literally five minutes or less after leaving my starting point.

Then there is the 1% like the Monday before last when I rode up to the Dragon, then through Fontana Dam, followed by Cherohala Skyway, riding from fill up to empty, I did want to get off an stretch after that sort of distance. Though some times after short rides through sub freezing temperatures I'll hop off and go inside for some warmth.

I think another part that comes into play is the distance rode. Since I use my bike for commuting all year 99% of my fillups are literally five minutes or less after leaving my starting point.  
That it he 1% like the Monday before last when I rode up to the Dragon, then through Fontana Dam, followed by Cherohala Skyway, riding from fill up to empty, I did want to get off an stretch after that sort of distance. Though some times after short rides through subs freezing temperatures I'll hop off and go inside for some warmth.
This

• 2 weeks later...

I sit on my bien to keep the fuel level as it gases up. I also pump the nozzle a few times after its reached my set dollar amount and then I tap it against the interior metal of the gas tank to get any excess drops off. My bike is vinyl wrapped to protect the paint so I don't really worry too much about gas spills but I usually put one of my gloves on my tank closet to the gas dispenser thug so if it does drip, it's just on top of my glove. Straddling the bike also makes me feel like I have more control over it, I don't like standing on the side of bike, I get anxious that I'll trip or something and knock it over for the first time...knock on wood

I would usually stand up, leveling the bike up to fill up. But like many others, I would be filling up after 5-10 miles of being on the bike. With a tank this small there's no need to get off and stretch.

I would usually stand up, leveling the bike up to fill up. But like many others, I would be filling up after 5-10 miles of being on the bike. With a tank this small there's no need to get off and stretch.
I'd pay if yammie put out a larger 4-5 US gallon touring tank that kept the lines of the bike.

• Premium Member

I sit on my bike when refuelling... I even shake the bike to get as much gas in as possible...I would change the fuel tank to remove that blasted long deep metal tube that prevents the last 3 gals of gas to be pumped in... I do actually ride over to a shade spot after a full up on a long ride and enjoy a smoke and have a few sips of a. Cold drink or a few bites before hitting the road again...98% of the time I'm not doing long distance

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Been riding since 1970 and not once have ever sat there while fueling. Find it awkward and have to take off gloves anyway to get at the wallet. Can you guys actually put a credit card into the pump while sitting on the bike? Besides, these days I'm almost always carrying a tankbag and that's gotta sit somewhere. On this bike, it's on the seat.

• Premium Member

Hmm, I always sit on my bike while fueling, and never had an issue or a spill in 30 years.

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
 In Ontario (Canada) most stations make you get off to fuel and you have to take your helmet off before entering to pay.
Never ever gotten off a bike in Ontario to fuel (36 years riding) and never been asked too! Haven't had attendants up here forever so always have filled myself! And now always pay at the pump so never remove helmet either! 

• Premium Member
I had no idea America still had any type of gas station attendants. In my meager 27 years of existence, I have yet to come across anything besides self serve.  
I must be living under a rock.
Woooooooow! How much extra pay for that! 

• Premium Member
Hmm, I always sit on my bike while fueling, and never had an issue or a spill in 30 years. 
:)

- Paulie
Same! 

$1.80 per gallon at Costco .. top tier gasoline (87 octane).

Woooooooow! How much extra pay for that!

Archived