The MT-07 Forum

Do you sit on your bike while fueling?

Redstang4

I think fueling up was mentioned in the F trip challenge thread, saw this on FB this morning on visor down.

Bad day

[video src=https://youtu.be/qrCkExl_PdY]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before seeing the video and just reading the title, my reply was going to be and still is NOPE!

Fire risk aside, I read about a fellow rider on the Versys forum who overfilled his tank and gas ran down and soaked his jeans pretty good. He said the chemical burns to his privates were pretty painful.

dentalprodigy

I actually do keep sitting on the bike to level it and make sure I fill the entire tank. Not anymore though. Good to know.

• Premium Member

Just don't let someone else try to fuel the bike for you and discharge their static electricity to you. Also if you're going to work at a gas station, at least know how to use a fire extinguisher .....=)

I always stand up while fueling. It gives me a chance to stretch the legs and it's easier to get to the wallet and everything else.

Beemer

It's surprising how much you can dribble in once it as reached the baffle,
even on the side stand, I have a center stand on mine but cant say it makes
much if any difference to how much you get in, but if you do fill right to
the top leave a little room for the cap to close and make sure you have enough
miles to cover so it's not parked in the sun with a very full tank.

I stand, but straddle the bike upright.
Same here.  
I would never let someone else fuel my bike and most definitely not whilst I'm sitting on it.

I have heard of gas stations demanding riders to dismount. It's usually an attendant on a power trip.

99% of stations in my area are self serve.

pineappleunderthesea

What do they do in Jersey for motorbikes? I always forget that you need to wait for an attendant to fuel the car for you, but I'm not sure I'd let them touch the bike and splatter droplets of gas all over the place.

i sit my ass down on the bike and fuel, it looks like who ever was next to the biker, might of ignited him. To much friction between the two...

Fire seemed to ignite from the bottom of the engine? Wonder if the gas overfilled and spilled down.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

dentalprodigy
What do they do in Jersey for motorbikes? I always forget that you need to wait for an attendant to fuel the car for you, but I'm not sure I'd let them touch the bike and splatter droplets of gas all over the place.
At least in my area (South jersey), the attendant will walk over, swipe your credit card and hand you the nozzle. It's too much of a liability for them to scratch, damage, dribble gasoline on your paint. I always go to the same gas station and the attendants over there are pretty cool. They let me serve myself ... Usually until I goof up and don't perfectly insert my credit card. There's a finesse to inserting your credit card just right otherwise it will look you out of that particular station. Then I have to do the walk of shame towards the cashier/attendant and ask him for help.

In NJ it's supposedly illegal to fill your own vehicle.  Ridiculous, but attendants always hand motorcyclists the pumps.  Good ones always shake off the excess so it won't dribble.  I always get off the bike to fill it; would never sit on it, just asking for disaster.

• Premium Member

In Ontario (Canada) most stations make you get off to fuel and you have to take your helmet off before entering to pay.

I stay on my bike. I like the tank to be level when I fill it up. In Buffalo here, you will never find any attendants at any gas pump unless you go out to the native American reservation. Everything is self serve up here. I also shake off the pump and put my hand under the nozzle when transferring it from the pump, to my gas cap. Ditto for after fueling is complete as well. I've never had any excess gas ever come close to my engine.

dentalprodigy
I stay on my bike. I like the tank to be level when I fill it up. In Buffalo here, you will never find any attendants at any gas pump unless you go out to the native American reservation. Everything is self serve up here. I also shake off the pump and put my hand under the nozzle when transferring it from the pump, to my gas cap. Ditto for after fueling is complete as well. I've never had any excess gas ever come close to my engine.
Another tip to avoid gas dribbling on your tank, engine, body work... Rotate the nozzle so it's curving UP and not curving down as it normally is when inserting into the gas tank.  That will prevent any gas from dribbling onto the body work.  A friend of mine who worked at a gas station told me that and it's quite helpful.  

Another tip to avoid gas dribbling on your tank, engine, body work... Rotate the nozzle so it's curving UP and not curving down as it normally is when inserting into the gas tank.  That will prevent any gas from dribbling onto the body work.  A friend of mine who worked at a gas station told me that and it's quite helpful.  
I actually do that too. I just forgot to mention it. That does work very well.

I've been fuelling while sitting on my bike for 7 years.

But again. I do the fueling myself. I don't have someone else that can discharge their static.

Some garages in the UK have a attendant has a courtesy for those that dont
like fuleing there own cars but you don't have to use them, were you do have
to use attendant fueling is if the garage does not have a interceptor sewer
to catch spills, in that case it is illegal to fuel your own vehicle, there
are not many of these in the UK but it could be the reason some of your stations
have attendants.

• Premium Member

I had no idea America still had any type of gas station attendants. In my meager 27 years of existence, I have yet to come across anything besides self serve.

I must be living under a rock.

Everything went braap.

I get off the bike to fill up. Easier to get away if something goes wrong I also shake and tap the nozzle before putting it away to avoid dripping on the bike.

Archived